Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Golf GT?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think you may be missing my point Su dios.

I don't even own a Golf, but I've grave doubts over the posters €250 p.a. comp. premium claim on a Golf GT.

As I said above the minimum premium for a base Golf is nearly €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

No I got you, but insurance is completely different for every situation. Also using a broker would get you better deals than going straight to the company themselves. I agree that that premium is extremely low, although maybe he knows somebody in the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

bazz26 wrote: »
    If there is a big enough difference in price between the 122bhp and 140bhp then I would settle for the 122bhp. It is decent enough power for a 1.4 litre petrol engine and more than enough for Irish roads. I'd rather spend the difference on extras.

I would also forget about the Jetta, basically a Golf with a boot, they are a poor seller for VW and will be worth only a fraction of the Golf come selling time. If you do want a saloon then look at the Passat, it is getting the 122bhp 1.4 TSi engine also in January.

Regarding the 1.9Tdi, I would avoid this engine unless fuel economy is your only concern. The 1.9 was a good engine in it's day but that is long gone. It is noisy, unrefined and not very powerful these days, there are much better similar priced diesel cars out there nowadays. VW should do the honorable thing and drop it entirely.

Drive an 06 1.9 TDI Passat (105 BHP) and its plenty powerful enough for Irish roads. Anyway Diesel's are all about torque not BHP. I've had plenty of cars over the years that had more BHP than the Passat also, so I know what I'm saying is true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.9 TDI has been superceeded in all areas of performance. It's still a decent lump, and may indeed provide enough for some drivers, but more modern units beat it at pretty much everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Drive an 06 1.9 TDI Passat (105 BHP) and its plenty powerful enough for Irish roads. Anyway Diesel's are all about torque not BHP. I've had plenty of cars over the years that had more BHP than the Passat also, so I know what I'm saying is true.

I have also driven a good few petrol and diesel cars so I still stand by my comments. Diesels have moved on in leaps and bounds since the old 1.9 TDi has been around. It was a good engine but is outdated in 2008. VAG only still sell it because of cheaper manufacturing costs. Most diesel manufacturers have moved to common rail technology which are way more refined. Even VAG is now starting to introduce the common rail TDi to their range.

Anyway the old 1.9 TDi will most likely be killed off in the next couple of years as the new EURO V emmissons compliance baselines come into effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Hi lads actually have a GT140 ordered hopefully arriving in March (12 week waiting period). From The research I have done you are better off to buy this car before July as road tax and VRT increase.

I got the red as I think the black grill really sets off the car am going to paint the back bumper red though.

Insurance wise am currently paying 360 for a 1L polo upgrading to the GT has only raised that to €500 am 28 with full license 8yrs and 0 points 3yrs no claim.

The fiat bravo is a nice car but will loose its value pretty quick also insureance quote for that ccar was over 700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

su_dios wrote: »
    No I got you, but insurance is completely different for every situation. Also using a broker would get you better deals than going straight to the company themselves. I agree that that premium is extremely low, although maybe he knows somebody in the insurance company.

I don't agree with that. I find brokers tend to use the same few companies and don't really shop around, like you can yourself.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. I find brokers tend to use the same few companies and don't really shop around, like you can yourself.

I suppose it depends on the brokers really. I have tried quoteline.ie and insure.ie and both have given better quotes than I could get from trying the main insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

su_dios wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the brokers really. I have tried quoteline.ie and insure.ie and both have given better quotes than I could get from trying the main insurance companies.

Seconded. I'm on cover with Hibernian for cheaper than Hibernian Direct were quoting me. Go Figure. Was with Royal and Sun Alliance before that on my last car on a great deal, again through a broker.

If you find a good broker they will generally be able to beat the quotes coming directly from the insurance company.

There is a myth out there that dealing direct with the insurance company and cutting out the middle man so to speak is the best way to save money on insurance. Not so in my experience. Get yourselves a good broker..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have to find a broker I couldn't beat on price. YMMV. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Test6699

Any idea if the 140 gt gol will have ESP as standard. Last years sportline 140 didnt have it but there is a bit of a jump in price this year and hoping it is now stadard as in the rest of europe. The VW site seems to contradict itself and the brochure says all gt sports have ESP. 12 week delivery time for me as well. McCarthy Direct Insurance is good value. I found this year Hibernian was cheapest. 370 euro for a 31 year old including full no claims protection for golf sportline 140

As far as I know the 140 only has traction control. It is standard across the range but ESP is only standard in the 170. Think the Dealer asked me did I want it as an option all right.

An extra around the 800eur mark too!

Just to follow up on the insureance thing just got off the phone with insureme.ie They are quoting me 356 fully comp with eagel star. When I rang my broker this morn they wanted 255.28 on top of what I have left to pay on my current premium 170!!!!!. Rang them back and the cheapest she "said" she could come up with was 736.24 (even though their website came in with a quote just over 500). They have just lost my business for good.

Advertisement