Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Yaris burning oil

• 25-04-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I bought my 08 Yaris in December for €5750 - seemed a very good deal. The oil warning light came on last night on my way home and today when I checked it the oil level was very low. The exhaust is definitely very smokey at high revs at idle as well. Does anyone know what the problem is and what it would cost to fix?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

Were you revving the crap out the engine over revving can burst things in these small cars

If your very lucky its a minor tune up to sort it

if your unlucky its something big like piston rings and that could cost heaps .
    All sorts of possibilities in between but lost oil and burning oil is often bad news

You need to take it to real mechanic for another opinion

Whats the kilometers of the car ?
    If your handy you can remove the spark plugs and see how many are oily .
    Look the dip stick colour of the oil is it black or very black or is is Grey white with water on it .

Dont run engine if you can as too much oil entering the CAT can risk to gum it up and add €500 to €1000 for a new CAT.

How far to get to nearest good mechanic.

Can some mate tow you there if its not far .
    I am Not sure what law is on towing in Ireland these days so many new laws so you need to check that .

Alternatively maybe garage mechanic will look it the house and tow truck it away as part of the deal to fix it

Any car i had that started that burning oil was it was for me cheaper to get another engine from scraper than fix it .

Jed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What mileage on the car and also, what's the service history?

These wouldn't be known for burning massive amounts of oil if properly maintained. I wonder is it a victim of petrol contamination (petrol stretching)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a few reports of 1.0 Aygos burning oil. The sump on these is quite small, so if you burn a bit, there's not much left. Can put the timing chain in danger.

Advertisement