Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games of the year

Options
  • 12-12-2002 11:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭

After the last year which was one of the worst years for decent games I'm glad that things have picked up with a lot of great games released this year. Hear our my favourites this year. No xbox games since I haven't played enough of my friends xbox.

1. Final Fantasy X
    2. Super Mario Sunshine
    3. Metroid Fusion
    4. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    5. GTA: Vice City
    6. Warcraft 3
    7. Grandia 2 (PS")
    8. Kingdom Hearts
    9. MOH: Allied Assault
    10. Virtua Fighter 4

The Final Fantasy Compilations would be in the top 10 only for the fact that they should have been released 2 years ago with chrono trigger. Also haven't got round to playing NOLF 2.
    Very bad year for the pc but better than last year where Operation Flashpoint was the only stand out game and RTCW and Max Payne really dissapointed. At least there are three stand outs this yeear for the pc.

Whats your fav games this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

for ps2 my favourites would be Vice City and ICO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

1) Pro evoloution soccer 2
    2) Metal Gear Solid 2
    3) Medal Of Honor (pc version as fps on consoles are crap to say the least)
    4) GTA : Vice City

Not really bought alot of games this year though due to moving country etc so ill leave it at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

jebus i doubt i could name 10.

maybe 3

1.GTA3 (PC)
    2.Moh AA (PC)
    3.Bf1942 (after patching)

And if i got to play Vice City more maybe that too.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

1. ICO
    2. Advance Wars
    3. Final Fantasy X
    4. Burnout 2
    5. Warcraft III
    6. Shadow Hearts (I just really liked it, OK? :) )
    7. Super Mario Sunshine
    8. GTA Vice City
    9. Splinter Cell
    10. Kingdom Hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

In no particular order.

GTA3 (PC).
    I actuall think this was a great conversion. Higher res graphics, mp3 support and many of the flaws people pointed out are features destined for gta4

Ghost Recon: Desert Seige (PC)
    What a bloody good misson pack. It didnt add that much in extra gameplay features but the level design and sheer atmosphere make it the best tactical shooter ever. Not to menton the fantastic multiplayer.

MOH:AA (PC)
    Omaha Beach, not much else needs to be said. The second best FPS ever behind Half-Life. This has everything, A soundtrack to make John Williams jelous he didnt write it. The music is used in a much more cinematic way than in any game before. Also the amazing graphics and the finest set pieces i have ever seen. If the AI was that little bit better this would have been beyond Half-Life.

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (GBA).
    Mario in your pocket. Some people deride the spate of rehashes of ols SNES games that are making their way onto the GBA at the moment but Mario World in on of those timeless games everyone loves. The third finest mario game is just what the doctor ordered after 13 years of tetris to while away boring plane/train/bus journeys. Even though i rate Yoshi's Island a better game the pick up and play nature of mario world perfectly suits it to a handheld format.

Nascar Racing 2002 (PC)
    Almost identical to Nascar Racing 4 with high res textures. That is a good thing if you dont have the previous incarnation but for the hardcore nascar fan that wont matter(not many of those in ireland especially since eurosport is gone from our screens). Using an updated Grand Prix Legends physics engine this is one of the most feindishly difficult yet accesible racing sims anyone has produced. Whereas Grand Prix Legends required months of practise to stay on the road Nascar 2002 is much more pick up and play. Scratch a little deeper and you will find the most accurate physics model in a driving game ever. Whereas GPL was a hardcore enthusiasts sport only anyone can give this one a shot without screaming abuse at the screen(except maybe at that little hump on the road coming out of turn 4 in darlington which claimed so many wins). Racing online allows for a full field of 43 racers but with the amazing AI you wouldnt really need to waste your money on phone calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

1. Final fantasy X - PS2
    2. Halo (I just found it addictive) - XBox
    3. Splinter Cell - XBox
    4. GTA 3 Vice City - PS2
    5. BattleField 1942 - PC
    6. Burnout 2 - PS2
    7. Medal Of Honour - PC
    8. Ghost Recon - PC
    9. Unreal Tournament 2003 - PC
    10. Empire Earth- PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

(PC, Gamecube and Xbox only, as I dont have a PS2 :))

1. Warcraft 3
    2. SSX Tricky (GC)
    3. Age of Mythology
    4. Civ 3: Play the World
    5. Halo
    6 Super Mario Sunshine
    7 NBA Inside Drive 2002
    8 Hitman 2 (Xbox)

token positions..
    9 Championship Manager 01/02 (xbox)
    10 Championship Manager 02/03 (xbox)

Most over rated peice of poo and biggest waste of money: UT 2003 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

GTA3 (PC)
    BF1942 (PC)
    NOLF2 (PC)
    Splinter Cell (Xbox)
    Halo (Xbox)
    Medal Of Honour (PC)

Would love to play Vice City though, and I would have put WC3 in the list if I'd had more of a chance to play it (I will... I will...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PC

gta3 - still playing it 6 months on:rolleyes:

moh: aa - lost my interest in it after the omaha beach level, but it was still great fun up to then.

serious sam 2 - madness!

PS2

tony hawks 4 - pretty tasty

vice city - i havn't actually played it yet, but i'll put it in my list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

If you had asked me 2 weeks ago.... i probably would have said GTA3 or Final Fantasy X. But i got Eternal Darkness and I can't get over just how absorbing it is.

So in a sort of order:

1. Eternal Darkness
    2. GTA3 (PC)
    3. Final Fantasy X
    4. Super Mario Sunshine
    5. Splinter Cell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OOPS! Forgot to put advance wars in my top 10. I think below metroid fusion would be about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

1)Vice City
    2)Hearts of Iron
    3)Haegemonia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Loads of the ones other people have already mentioned and Morrowind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Pikmin, ICO, Final Fantasy X, Burnout 2 and Vice City are games I've really enjoyed this year. Probably mario sunshine too when I get to play that a bit more after xmas.

My top five of 2002 are
    1. G.T.A. V.C

2. Mafia

3. G.T.A.3

4. Medal of Honour

5. The Thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

For PC only:

1) MOHAA

2) SOF2 Double Helix

3) RTCW

4) Mafia.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

1) UT 2003 - PC. Should have been called 2002 really

2) WarCraft 3 - PC. Not quite as good as it should have been

3) MGS2-PS2 (was that this year?) Silly shell level lasted too long

4) Ghost Recon- PC (im looking for addon) Game was WAY to short

5) Castlevania - GBA (Talking about non linear!)

6) MOHAA -PC (the silly accurate germans ruined parts of it for me)
    Also the preview movies left nothing to the imagination :/

7) Halo - Xbox Some parts are boring

I only just started playing Earth and Beyond....all i can say is WOW! First time for me playing this sort of game!

Hmm, wonder should i get Splinter Cell for the Xbox or wait for PC version....

Also Dukes no show this year was a real disappointment....Early 2003 please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1) Vice City (PS2)
    2) Unreal Tournament 2003 (PC)
    3) MOH:AA (PC)
    4) Trials (browser!)
    5)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Best of the web

1) Pingis (Table Tennis)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

you all forgot soldat¬! dunno if it was made in 2002 but we only found it then :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement