Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed asap. Is my dog dying?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Well it all started out monday two weeks ago when i noticed my dog collapsing after i gave him a bit of a biscuit, he stated to cough and then fell over, i thought it went down the wrong way, and i didn't see him for the rest of the week as i went back to college, on friday when i came home my dad said he wasn't himself all week and when i let him out, once again he collapsed.

the following day (last Friday), i brought him to the vet, where he diagnosed him with pneumonia, he put him on antibiotics and anti inflammatory tablets and he has been kept inside all week long, but he doesn't seem to be making much of change, his breathing isn't quite as bad but he has no will to do anything, he just looks really depressed. his gums are a whitish colour which i know means lack of oxygen i don't know what to do he is finished his antibiotic tomorrow so ill bring him back to the vet, but should he not be getting better now? he still doesn't even want to eat?

I should also add that he is a 12 year old collie dog.

any help would be great :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Bring him back to the Vet. Sometimes pneumonia can take a long time to get over, it knocks hell out of them. The sooner you get him to the Vet the better. No one here can tell you if he's dying or not and I hope he isn't, get him to the Vet again asap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

It's a bit of a trek from Navan, but if his condition deteriorates over the weekend, there is emergency cover available day and night at the Veterinary Hospital in UCD.
    Tel. 1890 564036

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

If his gums are white he could be anaemic and really shoud see a vet immediately. Does he have any other symptoms? Is he drinking much? Also, has he been vaccinated or had any boosters within the last month or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Who's your vet in Navan? Smith and Foley have a 24 hour emergency service 046 9023854 if you have a problem over the weekend.

I think you need to contact a vet asap if after a week of treatment you're still seeing no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

$lash wrote: »
    Well it all started out monday two weeks ago when i noticed my dog collapsing after i gave him a bit of a biscuit,

A dog biscuit or a human biscuit? If it was a human biscuit with chocolate that could cause problems as chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

hadook wrote: »
    Who's your vet in Navan? Smith and Foley have a 24 hour emergency service 046 9023854 if you have a problem over the weekend.

I think you need to contact a vet asap if after a week of treatment you're still seeing no improvement.

I'm not from navan just using my boyfriends account cause i haven't signed up myself.

I'm living in tullamore.

I gave him a human biscuit but it was a plain rich tea.

Also he is drinking a good bit of water, he ate a tin of dog food today, i spoon fed it to him. But still he is very very weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

List of vets in Tullamore: http://www.mytown.ie/town58,tullamore/51,veterinary-and-pets/0/business-listing.html

I'd start ringing round if I were you. One of them must have a vet on call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

A dog biscuit or a human biscuit? If it was a human biscuit with chocolate that could cause problems as chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

One chocolate biscuit, while not recommended won't cause these symptoms. If he's not better at this stage, like everyone else said you need to bring him back to the vet. The fact that he's eating and drinking is a hopeful sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

Its a very good sign that he is eating and drinking,
    but some times with this illness it might just take another week of anti biotic s, or maybe a stronger one , but do see a vet as soon as possible,
    best of luck hope he gets better soon, try not to worry to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I find most vets are very good at taking a phone call if you are worried that your pet is not improving. They will be the best people to advise - not an internet forum where people don't know the whole picture, aren't vetinary experts, and aren't able to see the dog. Go back to the vet! :) Hope he is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

$lash wrote: »
    his gums are a whitish colour which i know means lack of oxygen
    It doesnt mean lack of oxygen, its related to anaemia which doesnt correlate with a diagnosis of pneumonia. Theyre totally unrelated conditions. Hypoxia can only be determined by testing the dogs blood gases (blood sampling).
    Only in very large quantities and its not chocolate thats the problem its a chemical called theobromine in it that causes toxicity, but the dog would want to have eaten alot of it.

Id head back to your vet like previous posters have said. The Abs and antiflammatories should be having some effect after a week.

Advertisement