Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peak travel restrictions for free travel passes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think that it would be reasonable to reimpose the morning restriction - say after 9am, and perhaps only in urban areas and intercity trains.

why would that be reasonable. why should these people be restricted just because? why these particular services and not others? surely the more people on the service the more justification for the service and capacity increases for such which would be needed regardless. restrictions for ftp in the peak would simply be a bury the head in the sand tactic to not deal with the real issue, frequency and capacity

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I always assume people on buses / trams with prams in rush hour have to be the same places the rest of us do, work after a detour to the creche. I don't have kids but if I did I wouldn't choose to go anywhere on the public transport in rush hour if I could wait an hour. Sometimes they can't get onto a bus for a while as there's only one spot, so I assume they have no choice but to go at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

why would that be reasonable. why should these people be restricted just because?

Just because? Public transport at peak time is a valuable resource. It has a value and costs money to be sustained. I don't think that it is fair that people have to pay extra money for peak time tickets while FTP is still a free ride sponsored by others. If some FTP people happen to be in the odd 'what if' situation at peak times then why can't they just to prepare the exact sum money like everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have a travel pass due to the fact I am a carer for my son who has special needs,we need to travel to city centre from the Midlands for various hospital appointments and different therapys the only way I can get to city is by train as my wife needs our car for work....all his appointments are early morning so need to get rush hour trains....
    I would give anything not to be in the position of needing a travel pass but to us it's vital ...and it's only me who travels free my son is not eligible for a pass till he turns 18 ..
    Pissed off with people taring everyone with a travel pass as wasters and freeloaders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mario95 wrote: »
    Just because? Public transport at peak time is a valuable resource. It has a value and costs money to be sustained. I don't think that it is fair that people have to pay extra money for peak time tickets while FTP is still a free ride sponsored by others. If some FTP people happen to be in the odd 'what if' situation at peak times then why can't they just to prepare the exact sum money like everyone else?
    one would be paying extra at peak time regardless of ftp. If some FTP people happen to be in the odd 'what if' situation at peak times then why should they prepare the exact sum of money like everyone else when they have ftp and when there would be no actual benefit to doing so?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

one would be paying extra at peak time regardless of ftp.
    Thats not the point. My point was that it is not fair to limit the amount of non FTP people using public transport by increasing prices at certain times compared to FTP staying free.
    Besides, people with FTP also contribute to the existence of peak time fares, as much as any other person using public transport at these times.
    If some FTP people happen to be in the odd 'what if' situation at peak times then why should they prepare the exact sum of money like everyone else when they have ftp and when there would be no actual benefit to doing so?

I don't agree with FTP during the peak times, and thus my question does not assume it in the answer. I don't see what you are trying to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Just because? Public transport at peak time is a valuable resource.
    What are your views on students and children?
    Should they be made to pay the full adult fare at peak times, they are also taking up valuable space without contributing fully.

Perhaps you would like to ban wheelchair users until after 9am as they take up a lot of space?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Should they be made to pay the full adult fare at peak times, they are also taking up valuable space without contributing fully.

Perhaps you would like to ban wheelchair users until after 9am as they take up a lot of space?

If they are limiting the amount of people using their services by increasing the fare prices, they should do it for everyone, students, children, wheelchair users, and everyone else.
    Its not the case of full adult fare but the relative increase during peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Things that are free or near free get abused - just look at the rows over paying for water, where there has been no incentive to moderate use.
    Students should pay full price. But they should also get meaningful income supports (less the discounts other adults can get).

I've not studied the matter of child fares much, but children do get something of a free ride. As an example, why should children from the Wicklow or the northside of Dublin be disproportionately subsidised to travel long distances go to fee-paying schools in Blackrock. The Schoolchild Smart Card Single from Balbriggan to Blackrock (or Kilcoole) is €0.75.

• Advertisement

If they are limiting the amount of people using their services by increasing the fare prices, they should do it for everyone, students, children, wheelchair users, and everyone else.
    Its not the case of full adult fare but the relative increase during peak times.
    Have I totally missed something, but when did fares increase for peak time travel only? Or when was there a cap on the number of people allowed to travel at peak hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Have I totally missed something, but when did fares increase for peak time travel only? Or when was there a cap on the number of people allowed to travel at peak hours?

Actually, LUAS charges different peak and off-peak LEAP fares.

Irish Rail offers off-peak fares for people travelling from stations on the Dundalk, Portlaoise, Longford and Athlone lines to/from Dublin after 09:30 Monday-Saturday and all day on Sunday.

Social welfare passes were invalid on city services in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford between 07:00 and 09:45 and between 16:30 and 18:30, until Seamus Brennan relaxed that restriction.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Actually, LUAS charges different peak and off-peak LEAP fares.
    I actually never knew that (mind you I have only ever been on the Luas twice).

Looking at their website children pay the same peak and off peak and adults and students are only 10c cheaper at off peak, providing they use Leap.

Is it strange that they define peak as 07.45-9.30 in the mornings? I would have thought that commuters would be at work by 9am. You pay off peak at 07.40 but peak at 9.20.

Is it strange that they define peak as 07.45-9.30 in the mornings? I would have thought that commuters would be at work by 9am. You pay off peak at 07.40 but peak at 9.20.
    It's not that strange. The 9-5 day is a stereotype. Many industrial workers start at 8, many shop workers and some office workers don't start until 10, restaurant workers until 11, while transport workers may have started at any time between 3 and 7.

harr wrote: »
    I have a travel pass due to the fact I am a carer for my son who has special needs,we need to travel to city centre from the Midlands for various hospital appointments and different therapys the only way I can get to city is by train as my wife needs our car for work....all his appointments are early morning so need to get rush hour trains....
    I would give anything not to be in the position of needing a travel pass but to us it's vital ...and it's only me who travels free my son is not eligible for a pass till he turns 18 ..
    Pissed off with people taring everyone with a travel pass as wasters and freeloaders...
    I think that many people feel for your situation. However, by giving the FTP to so many people, the situation has arisen where other services are being cut so that people who have no requirement to have free travel get it automatically. If it was given to a smaller group on a needs basis, then that would be much more acceptable. The reality is that some people are denied a transport service (I can't board a bus between 07:45 and 08:15) because politicians want to buy off (some very well off) pensioners with a 'freebie'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Victor wrote: »
    I think that many people feel for your situation. However, by giving the FTP to so many people, the situation has arisen where other services are being cut so that people who have no requirement to have free travel get it automatically. If it was given to a smaller group on a needs basis, then that would be much more acceptable. The reality is that some people are denied a transport service (I can't board a bus between 07:45 and 08:15) because politicians want to buy off (some very well off) pensioners with a 'freebie'.
    I agree with you on this, I have seen the ftp used and abused by a lot of people be that with fake ones or as you said handing them out to people who don't need them...I have seen family's using the same one pass swapping it between them on different days...they are in process of changing the type of card with photos and the likes,not once have I never being asked for id to prove my ftp belongs to me.
    As you said about the pensioners,I have seen pensioners from my town using the ftp and these people are very very wealthy..
    I have seen them drive to the train station in there 152 mercs and use there ftp up to Dublin shopping for the day and returning with there expensive shopping.
    I have also seen scum bags from the town who rob and steel and are genuinely a menace to society use a ftp ,for the life of me I don't understand how these people are automatically handed a ftp?

• Advertisement
Advertisement