Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas - Longer Trams for Green Line from 2017

• 25-11-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2015/1125/749073-luas/
    The minister was present as an order for new additional trams was placed by Transport Infrastructure Ireland for seven 'Citadis' trams with Alstrom Transport SA.

Placing the order for additional trams at a cost of €36.5m excluding VAT, will ensure their delivery in advance of the Green Line extension coming into operation at the end of 2017.

The new trams will be the same type currently being used on the Green line but with an additional two modules per tram. This will make them nine-module trams.

That will be a total length of 54.6m which is an increase in length from the current 43m trams. Each new tram will be capable of accommodating 379 passengers, 60 more than the existing Green line vehicles.

Are these 7 in additional to the original 10 proposed or have they just gone for longer ones instead of 10 shorter ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are the platforms on the existing sections long enough or do these have doors pushed towards the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not sure if they are long enough but know Sandyford-Brides Glen platforms are longer than required, not sure about 10m longer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

if they are not long enough it wont matter really - in other countries they ensure there are enough signs/instruction to point out that car C is no use for stop S etc

Problem in my mind would be that when the cross city stuff is complete, the longer trams will screw up the other traffic even more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

km991148 wrote: »
    if they are not long enough it wont matter really - in other countries they ensure there are enough signs/instruction to point out that car C is no use for stop S etc

Problem in my mind would be that when the cross city stuff is complete, the longer trams will screw up the other traffic even more..

They will be extended if needed.

As for other traffic who cares, the city centre where Luas goes will be more less bus corridors only in next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It may be a problem in city sections, at least on the red line. If you had an extra long tram stopped at Abbey st for example, the end of it would be stick out into the junction with Marlborough st. I would say there may be similar problems with the Dawson Street stop on the Green Line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They will be extended if needed.
    Ah ok - I missed that in the article - didnt bother searching elsewhere.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

As for other traffic who cares, the city centre where Luas goes will be more less bus corridors only in next few years.

Other traffic is not only cars or private vehicles.. in fact even the buses will be held up further!

Pedestrians and cycles will be affected as well. Right now most people can walk from Stephens green to abbey st in a little under 15mins.. by the time a Luas winds its way down that route with buses etc I reckon it will take longer!

Of course I realise there are other benefits - i.e. for those who cant walk or cycle or those travelling with luggage or dont want to get wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cgcsb wrote: »
    It may be a problem in city sections, at least on the red line. If you had an extra long tram stopped at Abbey st for example, the end of it would be stick out into the junction with Marlborough st. I would say there may be similar problems with the Dawson Street stop on the Green Line.

I can't see them putting these on the red line any time soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

L1011 wrote: »
    I can't see them putting these on the red line any time soon though.

The Dawson Street stop will be on the green line though and the extra long trams may well be poking out onto the junction with Duke St as a result.

The Parnell St stop southbound will also cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

cgcsb wrote: »
    The Dawson Street stop will be on the green line though and the extra long trams may well be poking out onto the junction with Duke St as a result.

The Parnell St stop southbound will also cause problems.

You can look at structure drawings here - http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/

Accepting that the Dawson Northbound stop may or may not have moved a bit (I'm not sure, but I have a feeling they came down on the original Northbound stop design) the drawings show 9-segment trams sitting safely within their stop bounds and not interfering with junctions. I don't think this is a decision they've made at the last second.

Advertisement