Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help choosing

Options
  • 29-03-2014 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Need some help choosing a netgear ADSL

Nighthawk R7000 or DGND4000 or D6200

We will have a large area in the house to cover and are soon upgrading to Fiber Network away from ADSL +2

All help appreciated

Kind regards
    Silverski

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just get an access point if you're goint to fibre soon as you'll have to use your ISPs modem when you switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ED E wrote: »
    Just get an access point if you're goint to fibre soon as you'll have to use your ISPs modem when you switch.

Two quick questions on that ED E

(1) What is the deference between choosing the Wireless Access Point, and Wireless Repeater options in the settings menu of one of these units?

(2) Once configured using a LAN cable, do they function standalone (as in no physical wired connection between it and your providers modem?)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

ED E wrote: »

Greetings,

I do not have to use the ISPs equipment.

Will choose my own.

Just looking for options

Regards
    Silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

silverski wrote: »
    Greetings,

Will choose my own.

Just looking for options

Regards
    Silverski

You will have to use their equipment for Vdsl so get an access point. A wireless access point allows wireless devices connect to a wired network, it connects by cable to your main modem router. You do not want another router as this will cause complications (Google double Nat).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You will have to use their equipment for Vdsl so get an access point. A wireless access point allows wireless devices connect to a wired network, it connects by cable to your main modem router. You do not want another router as this will cause complications (Google double Nat).

You can bridge it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Mr. G wrote: »
    You can bridge it :)

Yes if you know how, not exactly straightforward with the Vdsl modem

Greetings,

Will choose my own.

Just looking for options

Yes and no. Your modem *MUST* support vectoring or your port in the cab will shut off and your line will go dead.

That means you have to keep the ISP modem or buy an expensive (€300 or so) Draytek modem.

You can bridge it, but unless you have very specific needs the F1000 that you'll get from both Eircom and Vodafone now, has a very reasonable feature set.

Just checking, having spoken to my provider, I can supply my own modem.

There fore I was looking for help in choosing.

Kind regards
    Silverski

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/legacy/vigor-2850

There's that. And then there's a much more expensive Cisco options.

Or the free F1000 from your provider.

Greetings all,

Perhaps Australia is different.

We will be connecting to the NBN (National Broadband Network)
    And the provider for the moment will be iiNet

I have always used Netgear and was looking for help in choosing the best option from Netgear
    Thanks
    Silverski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Perhaps Australia is different.

The majority of users here would mainly be familiar with how VDSL (commonly marketed as Fiber) is supplied in Ireland. What service exactly have you signed up for, as IINET seem to just supply ADSL2+ broadband, according to their website?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the info here:
    http://www.iinet.net.au/internet/broadband/nbn/

This is FTTH - not common in Ireland.
    The termination unit supplies connection via an RJ45 port. Use whatever router you want with an RJ45 WAN connection.

Out of the few you listed in your OP - I'd opt for the DGND4000 - decent spec, and cheap.
    If you need wireless AC (and have the devices to make use of it), opt for the D6200.
    The Nighthawk looks great on paper, but I can't imagine most residences making much use of the extra features, other than Wireless AC. Also, it costs a fortune. Maybe if you want to future-proof your setup.

Advertisement