Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passat door handle not working.

Options
  • 04-01-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

Passat 07 with front passenger door handle not operating from the outside. From a small bit of browsing not something I dare tackle myself. Any quick fix options? What would I expect to pay for repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Does it open ok from the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Does it open ok from the inside?

Sorry yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

easy fix, (had exact same problem on my passat) roll down the window.
    Open door from inside, close the door from the outside VERY HARD !!
    Repeat 5 or 6 times.
    Sounds mad, but handle will work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

OP, the likely cause of your problem is a cable that runs between the outer door handle and the lock mechanism. The cables get sticky and won't allow the outer handle to operate. The cable is cheap (around a tenner) but there is a good hour's labour involved in fitting it.

The "fix" posted above is not really a fix but may improve the situation temporarily at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

billbond4 wrote: »
    easy fix, (had exact same problem on my passat) roll down the window.
    Open door from inside, close the door from the outside VERY HARD !!
    Repeat 5 or 6 times.
    Sounds mad, but handle will work

What, is he winding me up?

Needless to say I gave it a try and hey presto 2 attempts and it worked. Locked up and tried to open and it went again. Retried original solution, a few extra attempts and she's back. A good slam of the door seems to do the trick. I could hear a click when I slammed it closed. How long before it goes again and why?

THANKS A LOT MUCH APPRECIATED.

• Advertisement
Advertisement