Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive clean-up

Options
  • 25-03-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I intend donating my computer to a recycling agent. I need to erase sensitive data from the hard drive; I've looked at various products which vary in price, but which also offer free downloads. Why do they offer free downloads, what's the catch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

usually demo's that can't actually do anything. could be wrong and it's free for personal use.

There are completely free programs out there.
    Can't think of one offhand. I'll post one later if no-one else has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

use dban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

Had a quick look at DBAN - seems like it might do the trick. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Dban is perfect for the task, just be sure to choose a decent erase cycle. A good few passes of PRNG should do the trick, follow on with one of the others if you're still feeling paranoid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can't prove that the non-free ones aren't just encrypting the data instead of wiping the drive [takes off thin foil had]

yeah dban will wipe drives / partitions

eraser will remove files / folders / free space

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

if you have the tools already you can smash it into a million tiny pieces , only way id sleep at night after parting with my pooters hard drive :pac:

......also removes tin foil hat

+1 for dban used it several tims myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Personally I'd send the PC off for recycling without the hard drive and then just dismante the hard drive or mount it on my wall :)

If someone still wants the info on it after that and is able to recover it then I'm clearly worth much more than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

Appreciate all the info. Having run DBAN, is anything left intact e.g. Windows and/or other software programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Heh.. I wanted to hold off, for fear of giving someone the willies, but as far as I know, not even DBAN erases the Host Protected Area (Wikipedia) on a HD. No eraser does, I'd be pleased if someone corrected me on that though.. :)

As for your question, yes, it erases below the OS, it doesn't recognise it at any level, it just sends random data or zeroes (sp?) to the drive, as instructed by yourself. Removes partitions etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Amalgam wrote: »
    Heh.. I wanted to hold off, for fear of giving someone the willies, but as far as I know, not even DBAN erases the Host Protected Area (Wikipedia) on a HD. No eraser does, I'd be pleased if someone corrected me on that though.. :)
    There isn't going to be any user data on that area so not an issue. It might have diagnostics or a factory image on it.

If really paranoid you could check the web site of the drive manufacturer for brand specific erase tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

use dban

+1

Have to love the "autonuke" command :D

Advertisement