Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DnyDNS Free Accounts No More

Options
  • 07-04-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭

Using them for years - but just got an email from them today - they no longer will do the free DynDNS at all.

As we know past two years it was free - but you had to click a link each month to keep it active- but that's gone now apparently.

no-ip was the alternative - but that too has gone rubbish deleting domains after 30 days.

So any good free domain name to ip options out there?

To our Dyn free hostname users:

For the last 15 years, all of us at Dyn have taken pride in offering you and millions of others a free version of our Dynamic DNS Pro product. What was originally a product built for a small group of users has blossomed into an exciting technology used around the world.

That is why with mixed emotions we are notifying you that in 30 days, we will be ending our free hostname program.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There are a few out there. Noip.com do them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Mr. G wrote: »
    There are a few out there. Noip.com do them for free.

Thanks - I Saw that - but it says

"Hostnames Expire Every 30 Days"

can you keep extending them or is it basically a 30 day trial?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

You can. I get an email ever 30 days. You have 5 days I think to click a link inside the mail to extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

ozmo wrote: »

You can keep extending it. I've been using them for the last 2 years. I receive an email evey 30 days to renew IP.

BobbyT28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

ozmo wrote: »

Keep extending, just click the link on the emaill they send you every month and confirm you want to keep it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks guys - sounds good.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Came across this article with a list of alternatives. It's annoying as my Netgear router only offers dyndns as an option :( Will have to find a script to run on my pi to update the IP Address with a new alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

jester77 wrote: »
    Came across this article with a list of alternatives. It's annoying as my Netgear router only offers dyndns as an option :( Will have to find a script to run on my pi to update the IP Address with a new alternative.

Check this out

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1998500

Advertisement