Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Tips to speed up computer???

Options
  • 25-03-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

My computer which is approx 5-6 years old is extremly slow, especially when starting up which can take 5mins or so before it stops making crackling sound and is responsive to an acceptable level.

It is a Dell computer, not sure the model, pentium 4 processer.

Aswell as being slow to open programs, operate programs,have more than 1 program open and search the net it stops intermittly for a "rest".

It is also slow shutting down.

The hardisk has a capicity of 140GB, with appprox 125GB unused, so I do not have alot of stuff on the computer, or ever had a lot onit.

It runs on Windows XP.

Any advise would be much appreciated as I can not afford to invest in a new machine.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Start Menu - Run - Type "msconfig" - Press OK - Click the tab "Startup" - Click "Disable All" - Apply - Close - Restart.

Your welcome :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Errrr, why disable all exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

thats a bad idea, you will need some of them

Run Ccleaner
    and Spybot

Not a bad idea, it elliminates why might possibly be slowing down the compute with an always option undo button "Enable All".

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Not a bad idea, it elliminates why might possibly be slowing down the compute with an always option undo button "Enable All".

You didnt tell the OP that

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    You didnt tell the OP that
    I did not :D Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I would go with a clean install and start fresh.

Back up your files (music, documents etc) and then wipe the slate clean.

Your hard-drive is probably not the best (old, slow, probably with some bad sectors), so if you could upgrade that for not much €, it would be worthwhile. Also, if it's 6 years old, you might not have a lot of ram, it would certainly help to look at that and see if it needs upgrading.

Put on a lightweight AV suite (Avast! is good enough) and whatever else you need, keeping crapware to a minimum. Don't let too much stuff find its way onto the startup list (you can use Ccleaner to monitor this pretty easily, or the add/remove programs in Windows).

I would go with a clean install and start fresh.

...as a last resort of course :p

Oh there is nothing like a fresh install on your once before quick computer, gives you a chance to start all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Not for me :pac: If I was troubleshooting an old system, with a 6-year old install that could be riddled with malware for all I know, i'd usually go with a clean install, quicker in the long run ;)

But for sure, ymmv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

In all honesty, it would be quicker and less stressfull to just buy a new cheap pc from dell or the likes. Or just go for a fresh new install of windows and all your programs, obviously remember to back up anything you need to keep to a usb key or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

There is a number of things you can try.
    One thing that should deffo help with increasing the performance of your pc is Upgrade the RAM. How much RAM are you currently running. Windows Xp can take a max of 4GB ram.

These sites are good for making little tweaks to XP to help performance also: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm
    http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

As the guys have previously said use CCleaner to clean things out on a regular basis. also make sure you defrag your pc. There is a tool in windows for this but there is a number of other apps that you can get that will run this process faster. Executive Software's Diskeeper is a good one that I have used but there is a number on the market.

Hope this helps
    J

Anti wrote: »
    In all honesty, it would be quicker and less stressfull to just buy a new cheap pc from dell or the likes.

lol, this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

Install Ubuntu Linux. Much faster than window!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Before you do anything you should run a chkdsk first.

I'm suggesting this because of your comment about it being extremely slow on startup & shutdown.

Try it by doing the following,

Start
    Run
    CMD
    Change to you c:\ prompt

type:

chkdsk /f

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement