Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flywheel

• 03-11-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Im thinking of buying an 07 Ford Mondeo Diesel,could anyone tell me if the same problem with this model from 04 to 07 with flywheel trouble exists with the New Model.I would be greatful for any comment.Bogs:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Yes it does affect the new model. The parts are more expensive than the old model too. We did one last week, 105,000kms on it and the noise from it was awful.

I don't really think there is any way of avoiding flywheel issues with a modern diesel. They all seem to suffer the same problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

There are replacement kits from Dual Mass to Single Mass flywheels, which solve it to an extent, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Yes and in some cases they are a good option. However with some cars when you fit a solid flywheel it results in a lot of noise from the gearbox, especially at idle and at low rpm. VW TDI 6 speed gearboxes are especially badly affected, have a listen to the noise in this video when the guy takes his foot off the clutch 6 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8Vmo-s1TY

Mondeo 6 speed boxes don't like solid flywheels either. The only cars we fit solid flywheels to are D4D Toyotas and 5 speed Mondeos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

I quite like the sound of that, I'm with the dude who made that vid...

That's pretty interesting, all the same....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Dual mass flywheels will always be effected by constant stop start city driving and/or people using the clutch in traffic in the same way they would in a petrol car.

If you plan on using the car for motorway miles then you shouldn't have an issue. Solid flywheel conversion kits are an option if you do run into DMF problems though and they won't, as some will try to tell you, damage anything due to excess vibrations etc.

IMO that video is showing a problem with the clutch release bearing or an already failing gearbox shaft bearing not a flywheel. A DMF is designed to absorb vibrations and dampen torque transfer when pulling away. A DMF is doing nothing at idle, therefore a solid flywheel cannot have the effect shown in that video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement