Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Reg plate question

Options
  • 03-11-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

With all these new money banks the police and third partys are leaving on the side of the road, and the toll bridge on the M50 being front facing, i am wondering what the law on a front reg plate for your car actually is... I know your car will fail an NCT if it doesent have it, but what can the police do? if you have it in your car, and say it fell off, is there a fine? can you get penalty points? just read an article in the US saying that the fine for driving without a plate in some state is $60 and no points, but a speeding ticket is $80 and points... seems a loophole to just drive without a plate...

PS: i am not condoning this sort of behavoir, i am just wondering. Plus bikes get away with not having a front facing plate, so why cant car drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's written into the statue book motorbikes only need rear plates
    Vehicle registration plates must be affixed to the front and back of your vehicle and clearly visible at all times. In situations where you are towing a trailer, caravan, etc., a duplicate of the registration plate must be affixed to the back of the trailer, caravan, etc.

Vehicles with only 1 front wheel (i.e., motorcycles) are only required to carry the registration plate on the back of the vehicle.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/vehicle_registration_numbers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

M50 is front and rear facing.

Location of front plate has been done to death as well. The law is not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could fit one of these although not great if the tolls are reading rear plates too

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭lotas

the tolls is not the thing i am wondering about really... I have an Eflow tag, so that will pick me up... i am more thinking speed cameras... At the moment, most camera vans are easy enough to spot (some arent, but lets not go there...) but these things are not that easy to spot: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/03/cordon-multi-target-speed-camera-is-terrifying/ I was also thinking a "dirty protest" by covering the plate in mud, but as soon as it rains, your screwed... what about paint? - Plate must be visible... it dont say anything about readable!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Those speed camera vans have both front and rear facing cameras AFAIK... so they can get motorbikes coming towards them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭lotas

Those speed camera vans have both front and rear facing cameras AFAIK... so they can get motorbikes coming towards them.

CRAP! there goes that plan.... Ahhh well, worth a shot!

Advertisement