Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

too light for N.C.T or D.O.E

Options
  • 24-10-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

i thought every car , van ect. needs a nct ot doe test , just after seen this ad on donedeal , for a starlet van gt replica and they are saying that its to light for the nct or doe ... what is this about , slightly confused

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2626778

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Love the way he lists "bonnet" as if it's an optional extra

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

think he meant to say bonnet vent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

didn't think there was a minimum for the DOE as for the NCT - doubt there is a minimum weight requirement.

Doubt very much if the guy knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

some of the old car vans (k10 micra, starlet, mk2 and mk3 fiestas) used to get away with not doing any test if taxed private, but I couldn't tell you how well that holds up today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Love the way he lists "bonnet" as if it's an optional extra

It's the dixy horn that gets me. Thought they went out with sideburns :D

Somehow, I doubt you'd have much to go with if push came to shove and they wanted to put points on your licence for no NCT. If I were you, and you went to look at it, I'd be keeping in mind what it would cost to get it through an NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

serious rasp off it

LOL

IIRC Privately insured vans don't need to be NCT'ed or DOE'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id say he just went to the DOE center and they told him to fúck off. horrible yoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

id say he just went to the DOE center and they told him to fúck off. horrible yoke

hahaha :pac:

MadsL wrote: »
    LOL

IIRC Privately insured vans don't need to be NCT'ed or DOE'd.

you sure about that??? its so hard to belive :rolleyes:

Somehow, I doubt you'd have much to go with if push came to shove and they wanted to put points on your licence for no NCT. If I were you, and you went to look at it, I'd be keeping in mind what it would cost to get it through an NCT.

haha are you well? , i wouldent be cought dead in that heep of SH1T..i was just wondering about the test situation :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Love the way horribly overpriced sh*tboxes are always advertised as ***Price Drop***

and the cassette tape :D

Love the way horribly overpriced sh*tboxes are always advertised as ***Price Drop***

hahahahaha :D

you sure about that??? its so hard to belive :rolleyes:

It was the tax that was about, not insurance, insurance has nothing to do with the test.

would surely have to be doe'd if it was to do any test, i've run across this problem before, any vehicle on the reg cert as being a van or commercial jeep body etc can't be NCT'd I've had it with several different things that i wanted to tax private and use for everyday use, NCT refused to test them saying they won't test a "commercial vehicle" even though it's been changed in the taxation-fixated eyes of the state to private classification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Can someone provide a definate answer?

I'v a Mk4 Fiesta Van that has never been near a test centre.

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    It was the tax that was about, not insurance, insurance has nothing to do with the test.

oh right make more sence now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

YBTurbo wrote: »

I would also like a definitive answer on testing as I have had 2 cars of the same model as vans, one commercial, one private. Commercial (TD100) needed a doe and crw to tax. Private never been to a centre, yet stopped by traffic corps, psni and undercover unit and all have said all was in order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I believe DOE testers have been told to test vans even if they are taxed privately. It's still a loophole in law but insurers may take a different view and not pay out if there's no roadworthyness test, they don't much of an excuse!
    I'd imagine that in the worst scenario where an untested vehicle was involved in a fatality, the courts would also take it in to account. It's a loophole that needs closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

YBTurbo wrote: »

It dose not need a test. If it's privately taxed and classed as a van.

DOE test centres don't do private vehicles

NCT test centres test cars.

So both centres will refuse to test your private van.

Mate has one and the Garda agreed with him, but took a bit of checking out with control I think.

• Advertisement

We've had a DOE tester on here confirm that they've been instructed to test privately registered vans if presented although it's not legally required. Only difference is you don't have to present a weight certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

101sean wrote: »
    We've had a DOE tester on here confirm that they've been instructed to test privately registered vans if presented although it's not legally required. Only difference is you don't have to present a weight certificate.

As I said it was my mate that has the van, maybe he explained it differently or something but I am nearly sure he went to book a DOE test and they wouldn't test it told him he needs to go to NCTs as it's a private van. He has had it a while now about 2 years, so it could have changed in the time between then and now.

Anyway, it's not a requirement by law, although it's no excuse not to have your car/van in a road worthy condition.

What's this guy with the starlet talking about weight of his car? Never heard such ****e before.

It's only come about in the last year after the Revenue started clamping down on commercial motor tax misuse putting a lot of vans in the grey area.

The seller is talking nonsense, maybe he believes it has to be 3500kg gvw to be commercially tested?

101sean wrote: »

They may have been told to do it, but they've still refused to do it for me. Same with the NCT. Then even if I did get it DOE'D insurance company won't provide insurance as it's doe'd like a commercial but taxed private. Your earlier point about insurance possibly being invalid is a very good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Would it be possible to get a letter from the DOE saying my van is exempt, incase I'm stopped by a sticky guard.

I know it's in road worthy condition, just can't be arsed with the hassle of testing it every year as it does hardly no mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I may offer him 100 quid and burn it on Halloween.

I'd being doing everybody (more so his neighbours and surrounding road users) a good favour !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

This has come up here time & time again. NO van is exempt...All must have a valid DOE whether taxed private or commerical. That loop hole on small vans is well & truely closed.

http://www.vehicletesting.ie - Commerical testing as a rule but also cover vans that are taxed private so they can get a DOE.

Fed up hearing these myth's because it's a small van 'I don't need a test'. You DO need a valid DOE cert on any van.
    And yes it's up to the gaurd to stop you & question you for it.
    And it's up to the the buyer of a van to check for it to. Not making alot of sense to buy a van that has never been tested, chances are it will need work, so buyer beware!

OP: There is a search feature on this site. And don't believe everything that is stated in a donedeal ad. Alot of bull said to sell anything....;) Always do your homework.

Golden rule: Van=DOE, Car=NCT no matter how it is taxed.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

They may have been told to do it, but they've still refused to do it for me. Same with the NCT. Then even if I did get it DOE'D insurance company won't provide insurance as it's doe'd like a commercial but taxed private. Your earlier point about insurance possibly being invalid is a very good one

Sounds like your DOE centre doesn't even know the current rules. Just direct your local sticky gaurd in the their direction :pac:

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Jeez this old chestnut again!

Regarding testing and taxation, this is the reply i received when i queried the subject with the RSA.

Dear ******
    Thank you for your e-mail. You are correct, privately taxed goods vehicles ie. van require a commercial vehicle test. The testing of a vehicle is based on the type of vehicle and not on the use.
    The confusion usually occurs when someone taxes their vehicle at the Motor Tax Office. If the motor tax class is listed as "private" they are not asked to produce a Certificate of Roadworthiness (CRW) in order to tax their vehicle, whereas if the Motor Tax Class was listed as "goods" a valid CRW is required. However it has NEVER been the case that a vehicle would not require a valid CRW.

I hope this clarifies the situation and should you require any further information please do not hesitate to ring me at the number below.

Yours sincerely,

Commercial Vehicle Testing
    091-872617

The important bits being:
    1. The testing of a vehicle is based on the type of vehicle and not on the use.
    2. However it has NEVER been the case that a vehicle would not require a valid CRW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

would surely have to be doe'd if it was to do any test, i've run across this problem before, any vehicle on the reg cert as being a van or commercial jeep body etc can't be NCT'd I've had it with several different things that i wanted to tax private and use for everyday use, NCT refused to test them saying they won't test a "commercial vehicle" even though it's been changed in the taxation-fixated eyes of the state to private classification

you can still DOE them its just they wont accept the cert in the tax office

Advertisement