Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Public Order Units

Options
  • 20-11-2014 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello out there,

This is my first message on B.IE. So, to cut to the chase, I am in the process of writing a comic novel that is set in the Baltinglass area and I would like some help with colloquially terms for individual Garda officers. I understand that an officer is called a guard, but I am not sure how that is pronounced. For instance, should I write 'guard', 'g'ard', or g'arda? Or are all three interchangeable?
    Also, I would like some help with regard to the formation and the use of Garda Public Order Units. Are they only deployed as a last resort, or would they be called out to any crowd situation, before it turned ugly?

My digits are poised,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) It depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 4Pilgrim

Good morning Terrontress,

Thanks for the reply. At 07:03 brevity is to be expected. At 09:45 can you expand on your answers. What do you know about the operational procedures of Garda POU's?

Kind regards,

4Pilgrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

4Pilgrim wrote: »
    What do you know about the operational procedures of Garda POU's?

Won't get that information here

I'm put off answering anything on this thread following the article with the gard on liberal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

4Pilgrim wrote: »
    Good morning Terrontress,

Thanks for the reply. At 07:03 brevity is to be expected. At 09:45 can you expand on your answers. What do you know about the operational procedures of Garda POU's?

Kind regards,

4Pilgrim

Absolutely nothing at all, beyond what I read in the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

'Guard' mainly. I don't know where 'gard' came from but a lot of people outside of the job use it. If you're addressing a guard it's 'Garda Smith' or the like.

As for Public Order Units. Your best option is to look up public order units on YouTube. Most police services in the EU would have similar training.

Individual policy and procedure can't be disclosed on a public forum.

Advertisement