Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 Zafira 1.6 Petrol

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Going looking at one of these at the weekend as the family car. Anything to be very weary of ? What is the timing belt interval on these ? I think this one has 8*000 klms on it.

My wifes current car is a 06 1.4 Petrol Octavia which I decided to sell cause I thought I would get a decent price for it (Getting what I paid for it 18 months ago) and we could do with a bit more room. Depreciation free motoring in Jason Dawe style ;)

We don't do big mileage at all, once a week a 10 mile trip to do the weekly shopping and perhaps once a fortnight travel 40 miles to visit my parents. That's why we're not overly bothered about petrol rather than diesel.

Anything I should be looking out for ? I know they're not the best car in their class but surely they're not the worst either :confused:

They seem good value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

When you raise the rear seats, you have no boot. My sister in law bought one new and traded it in within a year. Thirsty, Troublesome (covered under warranty) and To small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Last summer we had one to bring some friends down to Kerry for a week. I think it was 08' but it was the most basic model 1.6 and my god was it slow. I mean with 5 people on board it was borderline dangerous for overtaking. I understand power isn't everything but even still this car was seriously slow.

I found the rear seats in the boot annoying and complicated to put up and that the interior was a very cheap and nasty place to be.

I'm struggling to think of a positive about the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

OP is coming from a 1.4 petrol octava so speed doesn't look to be high on agenda.

I had one for 2 weeks rental a few yr back. Found it ok for the 2 weeks but would have not traded it for my wifes verso

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

I friend bought one a low mileage 2007 one last year, main dealer, FSH. So far a coil pack has gone, gear change is becoming more and more stiff, and it recently dumped a load of coolant and over heated. They are fast becoming fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We had one as a run around here for ages, so I drove it a few times and really didn't think it was that bad!

The gearing is quite short so it's fine around town, but does struggle at higher speeds. I had 4 adults, 2 teenagers and a 4 year old in it when my folks came over and it was adequate. Did OK on the Motorway down to Dublin, but is more suited to around town work.

Don't remember that one having any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

When you raise the rear seats, you have no boot. My sister in law bought one new and traded it in within a year. Thirsty, Troublesome (covered under warranty) and To small.

I've noticed that alright, you have a decent boot with 5 seats but damn all with 7 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

had a couple of these.. and the missus has a 1,6...

yes it is slow at the top end, but as ROR around town the car is perfectly adequete..

if you can afford it the 1.9 CDTI is a much better bet...

back seats are a piece of piss to put up...

but once seats are up.. no boot at all..

Personally have found them to be very reliable and easy to do DIY maint on..

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    OP is coming from a 1.4 petrol octava so speed doesn't look to be high on agenda.

I had one for 2 weeks rental a few yr back. Found it ok for the 2 weeks but would have not traded it for my wifes verso

It will be 90% my wife running around in it and you are right about the octavia 1.4. Painful on a motorway. Avensis Verso certainly a better car but alot more expensive.

robtri wrote: »
    had a couple of these.. and the missus has a 1,6...

yes it is slow at the top end, but as ROR around town the car is perfectly adequete..

if you can afford it the 1.9 CDTI is a much better bet...

back seats are a piece of piss to put up...

but once seats are up.. no boot at all..

Personally have found them to be very reliable and easy to do DIY maint on..

Thanks for that. I'm gonna have a look anyway and if the car looks straight will probably buy it. Wife likes the Scenic's also but wouldn't trust them for reliabilty. Ideally a Galaxy/Alhambra but don't wanna be moving back the years which I would have to do within our budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Thanks for that. I'm gonna have a look anyway and if the car looks straight will probably buy it. Wife likes the Scenic's also but wouldn't trust them for reliabilty. Ideally a Galaxy/Alhambra but don't wanna be moving back the years which I would have to do within our budget.

Galaxy is a nicer car,

but it is expensive,

older model seats are a pain if you want to make some boot space..

once all seats in again very little boot space, more than the zafira

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

All depends on what age the kids are and how many of them you have.

A Galaxy is a full size 7 seater, for 7 adults. There isn't much of a boot with the 7 seats up there either. It is a much bigger car. If you have 4 teenage kids, then this is the one for you.

Cars like the Zafira, Touran and Verso are a smaller car, with 7 seats. You wouldn't want to need the 7 seats all the time, but they are perfect for a family of say 5, that needs 3 car seats and the occasional use of the back two. They are hugely practical, easy to manage and so on, just don't expect them to be a full size 7 seater.

Get a diesel though as these cars are aerodynamically poor and will literally drink petrol. A diesel 08 Zafira could be imported for 10k I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

FrontDoor wrote: »
    A diesel 08 Zafira could be imported for 10k I'd imagine.

Just remember you will be importing a Vauxhaul, not an Opel which may hurt come resale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Just remember you will be importing a Vauxhaul, not an Opel which may hurt come resale time.
    On a 3-4k car come resale time in a few years, that won't matter much. Obviously on a 20k car, its a different story.

Advertisement