Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Soggy footwell!

Options
  • 30-10-2011 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭

Today I went to do the weekly start and found this (sorry for the large-ish pics mods :o):

Image1528.jpg

Image1529.jpg

Image1530.jpg

Obviously caused by Mondays gentle breezes and slight drizzle :rolleyes:

I went round the windows (no sunroof), door rubbers, windscreen but theres no sign of any leaking. Whats more baffling is that its only on the drivers side, the passengers footwell and seats were bone dry :confused: the car is almost dry now, thankfully :)

Does anyone know what causes this or can point me in the right direction? Is there a drain at the bulkhead that blocks and overflows? Am unfimiliar with the brand and model of car, I'm picking up things and learning as I go along :)

The car is a July 1997 5 door VW Polo 999cc with no air-con

Thank you for any help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

That's a familiar looking car. :P

Still can't get my head around it man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'm strongly thinking its a blocked drain but I don't know where they are! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

cheak the rubbers that let the water away from the compartment where the wiper motor is housed ,under the bonnet just below the windowscreen ,
    they can clog up easily and water can fill up in it and run through the heater fan inlet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Something similar on a Seat: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216

Might be of some use?

cheak the rubbers that let the water away from the compartment where the wiper motor is housed ,under the bonnet just below the windowscreen ,
    they can clog up easily and water can fill up in it and run through the heater fan inlet .

Is it under the plastic strip under the windscreen? I didn't get it off but it looks like someone before was at it...
    barura wrote: »
    Something similar on a Seat: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216

Might be of some use?

Theres a lot of useful stuff on that to keep me busy hunting for this leak :pac: Stuff I didn't think of like the door drains :)

• Advertisement

im not 100% about a polo ,
    but it should be under that plastic cover .
    have a look under that unit that holds the wiper motor and see is there rubber grommits at the bottom of it squeze them ,that should realase any water .
    it works exactly like the gutter on your house

Ok just had a gander at the doors, the drains aren't blocked.
    im not 100% about a polo ,
    but it should be under that plastic cover .
    have a look under that unit that holds the wiper motor and see is there rubber grommits at the bottom of it squeze them ,that should realase any water .
    it works exactly like the gutter on your house

I did move it back to its parking spot and a heap of water appeared from nowhere under the car, all signs pointing to a blocked drain. When I get the time I'll whip off the trim and I'll check the condition of those grommets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The passats do it too. Something to do with water pooling up around pollen filter and coming in that way. Look up passat soggy footwell in google and you'll see the fix. I'm fairly sure The polos are similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Water looks very rusty? Are you certain it's not the coolant from a bust heater matrix?

Nforce wrote: »
    Water looks very rusty? Are you certain it's not the coolant from a bust heater matrix?

That was my first check, coolant normal level so that was out of the way :)

I may have got to the problem

There were only 2 drain holes near the wiper motor from what I could see, either side of the windscreen, are there any others?

I checked them today and found them totally clogged with crap
    Image1540.jpg

And the other side wasn't that much better
    Image15411.jpg

Could this be the cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

i had a problem like this years ago and it was the internal radiator in the heating system. newer cars may be different

I suffered this with my daily hack in August and that was a nightmare to change (dash out, heater out, matrix out) thankfully the coolant hasn't dropped and after running the car for a good few minutes I can say its not leaking from that area :)

yeah id say thats ur problem .
    u must be parking near trees or bushes ,, the water was goin in through the heater fan

yeah id say thats ur problem .
    u must be parking near trees or bushes ,, the water was goin in through the heater fan

Space is a premium here so this car stays in the same spot under an oak tree :)

There is a pollen filter in this car, I just had it out to inspect the housing for damage or missing seals. The passengers side was bone dry though :confused:

the filter would dry out in a few days ,, and the water will run to the lowest part of the floor depending on what way u park it ..
    id say u have solved ur problem

Advertisement