Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying student

• 18-10-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

What important the first impression you make on your students is!!
    Few days ago I gave a lesson to new learners. As it had been a messy day, I arrived at the class without preparing my lesson, confident of the workbook I had assigned.
    So bad I did than the students were aware of me being totally lost. Since then I have lost their respect for me as teacher.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This post doesn't seem to be about an annoying student. Is there a question or are you looking for advice on how to get this class back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ianryan1000

You are right.
    The second part is about the youngest student (a sort of spoilt girl) who, since that fatidic day, is trying to show me up again and again by asking confusing questions.
    My students are in a range from 15 to 40 years old and she is like the pet of the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I hope your not an English teacher....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

moonshadow wrote: »
    I hope your not an English teacher....

*you're

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I arrived at the class without preparing my lesson
    Lost for words, totally.

It was an unexpected lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

most random thread ever

Any advise?
    I don´t like the idea of getting rid of that student but lessons are more difficult everyday.
    Thanks a lot.

why are the questions she asks confusing? what is confusing about them? what set up is this, is it a private school/night classes, or what are we talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

*you're

If I had a penny for every time .... And it never gets old.

Sorry.
    It is after-school activity and I wanted some advise about what you would do.
    And it is about student´s bad behaviour.
    thanks again.

You said she is trying to show you up by asking confusing questions - I asked you in what way are they confusing, you didn't answer the question, you are now saying she is behaving badly?
    Is she asking off topic questions, are they irrelevant to what you are teaching, or are they simply questions you don't know the answer to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

In future, make sure you're organized and prepared for your classes. I would lose respect for my teacher if he/she didn't know what they were doing. They are there to learn from you. And if someone asks a confusing question ask them to rephrase it.

Yes.She is trying to disturb the class.

Yes.She is trying to disturb the class.

You didn't respond to any of the questions I asked. Are you just wasting our time or are you genuine because if you are I don't see why you don't answer the questions of the only person that is actually engaging with you so far

Well, I think I have said to you all you must know.
    It is clear that I have a problem with a student who tries to spoilt my lessons with a bad behaviour.
    Sorry for wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sorry.
    It is after-school activity and I wanted some advise about what you would do.
    And it is about student´s bad behaviour.
    thanks again.

It's advice not advise. Advise is a verb. People advise me about dealing with the class when I ask them for advice. My advice: prepare better in future.

Well you clearly havn't said all we must know if there are so many questions, you have said she asks confusing questions, why are they confusing is it you don't know the answer, is it they are irrelevant, is it she asks personal questions what makes them confusing, is this the only bad behavior she does, what way is hte class set up, do you have the right to remove her, how often does she do it, you said you only started a few days ago so how many times has she mis behaved, what is the discipline policy within the class/school? Is she only of the under age students? Is she paying for the service or is it voluntary? Who is over you with this course? if she is under age can you speak with her parents, have you tried to speak to her at the end of class yet?
    People cannot give advice in a vacuum if you can answer some of these questions you may be able to get some answers to your questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm siding with the student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I don't believe this is a genuine question or issue. I believe there's a term for it, but I think using it garners one an infraction...

Maybe my diary?
    Thank you to all who have tried to give some advice despite my confusing thread.

What type of after school activity takes place in a classroom setting with students aged 15 to 40?

If the questions relate to the topic been studied, you should know the answer or you could encourage the whole class (including yourself) to research the topic for the next lesson, to allow for more positive discussion.

You still have not given any details of this students actions and you seem to have taken a personal dislike to her because she is undermining your authority. Teenagers do that but you cant take it personally.

Also if this is an after school club that people are voluntarily attending, you cant remove any student because you dont like them. I'm assuming a lot of things in this last sentence because as previous posters have pointed out, you're not telling us the full story.

Maybe my diary?
    Thank you to all who have tried to give some advice despite my confusing thread.

What about your diary?!? You aren't making any sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

aunt aggie wrote: »
    What about your diary?!? You aren't making any sense...

I think that is exactly the point here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Maybe my diary?

What's that even in reply to?
    You need to give some level of detail in order that people can give you targeted advice.
    My first thought is that, on this thread, you are very unclear on the details and you only answer a small percentage of the questions people ask - does this habit carry through to your teaching style?
    All teachers have discipline issues at some time or other, and I have to say in my own case the issue hasn't ever been as simple as 'I have an annoying student to deal with', it's been more along the lines of 'I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't control/get on with/gel with this particular student'.
    If you're going to solve this problem, you need to own it.
    Perhaps the student is underchallenged by the scope of the lesson, in which case you need to prepare something more challenging so that she will be engaged?
    Perhaps you need to improve the quality of your explanations/questions/presentation of material/manner with students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

It might be an idea to get a more anonymous username...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sorry.
    It is after-school activity and I wanted some advise about what you would do ....

hope they'd screen teachers over there for iq just a lil bit better
    ?

mod snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

This is all getting a bit Stanley Kubrick

Thread closed???

Mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement