Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 visa house trash thread...

Options
  • 20-09-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭

In After Hours.Is it really a clever idea to have this going on?
    The amount of abuse is frankly shocking,all of it based on an assumption of guilt.
    I know no names are allowed but there is a good chance that they will become known given the level of interest on social media.
    It's all more than a bit disturbing.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The thread is being carefully monitored by the AH mods. If you see instances of shocking abuse - please use the Report Post function & it shall be dealt with as appropriate.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The thread is being carefully monitored by the AH mods. If you see instances of shocking abuse - please use the Report Post function & it shall be dealt with as appropriate.

tHB

It's the cumulative effect and the justification for having such a thread continue that I was on about,but there's no end of vitriol and name calling throughout the thread.

I did request that the thread be closed but got no response.
    I thought Boards had slightly higher standards than to allow this level of abuse against a group of people for no other reason than an assumption of guilt by the equivalent of a lynch mob on the internet.

If you want an instance of shocking abuse I'd like to report 90% of the thread...Thanks.

I feel that your last statement is a bit of an overreaction tbh.

Also, the AH mods have been closely monitoring the thread to ensure that individuals are not named & subject to attack.

It is also still under discussion by the AH mods. However, as the fanatical witch-hunt mark has not been quite over-stepped just yet, it remains open. Should that change I am sure that the AH mods will take action.

tHB

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think it's usually best to moderate discussion of interest rather than shut up shop and ban the topic entirely.

I think it's usually best to moderate discussion of interest rather than shut up shop and ban the topic entirely.

Didn't see a whole lot in the way
    discussion,most of it was a feeding frenzy of unfounded accusations and vulgar name calling based on no a one sided video,even when some contrary evidence emerged the abuse was and is allowed to continue.

Apart from not being fair on these people who's names are in the public domain,I don't think Boards are acting responsibly in allowing such a thread.

I know it's the internet,but there must be a modicum at least of morals and ethics?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So, in the interest of actual constructive feedback and not "I don't like it, ergo it should be stopped" where would you draw the line?

Keep in mind it is an emotive topic and people are entitled to be outraged by it. That doesn't mean its a free for all, but this is a discussion site and part of discussion in expressing ones feelings on a given subject. You cannot over-sanitise.

Can you disconnect your emotive response to the thread in question and give reasoned arguments to sway us towards denying people a chance to talk about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Funny how when a video emerges of two tramps fighting on the street in Dublin or of KPMG girl hurling abuse at people the videos get removed and, folk told off for abusive language, and a blanket ban put on discussion but a few lads trash an apartment abroad and it's open season.

But hey, maybe they're just unlikely to sue.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    So, in the interest of actual constructive feedback and not "I don't like it, ergo it should be stopped" where would you draw the line?

Keep in mind it is an emotive topic and people are entitled to be outraged by it. That doesn't mean its a free for all, but this is a discussion site and part of discussion in expressing ones feelings on a given subject. You cannot over-sanitise.

Can you disconnect your emotive response to the thread in question and give reasoned arguments to sway us towards denying people a chance to talk about this?

Not entitled to dish out relentless abuse based on a one sided,very biased piece of of evidence surely

I have no problem whatsoever in people talking about it in a civilised manner,not like a pack of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So what's your connection to those involved seems your very biased in all of this

Gatling wrote: »
    So what's your connection to those involved seems your very biased in all of this

No connection.You're seeing fair as biased I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Funny how when a video emerges of two tramps fighting on the street in Dublin or of KPMG girl hurling abuse at people the videos get removed and, folk told off for abusive language, and a blanket ban put on discussion but a few lads trash an apartment abroad and it's open season.

But hey, maybe they're just unlikely to sue.

How would middle-class college fellas be less likely to sue than homeless people? That doesn't make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Why just this thread though, OP? There are other such threads about people being implicated in doing something that gets condemned. I think that's why people are wondering why you seem to be so concerned specifically in relation to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

The guys in question are animals. There was a video of that lady showing her house and it's wrecked. You can find it on google

Well it nows looks like they have admitted they were responsible for what happened and and are apparently willing to pay towards the damage,

Poor lads beem blamed on something they didn't do ,

Mob mentality

Out of control thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Gatling wrote: »
    Well it nows looks like they have admitted they were responsible for what happened and and are apparently willing to pay towards the damage,

Poor lads beem blamed on something they didn't do ,

Mob mentality

Out of control thread

When did they admit they were responsible before or after this aired on TV in the states? (genuine question btw not being smart, as it has relevance to the discussion).

I think folk are more outraged because of the negative PR for Irish folks, from that respect it should be discussed but reddit ect took it too far doxxing ect but that didnt happen here.

Calhoun wrote: »
    When did they admit they were responsible before or after this aired on TV in the states? (genuine question btw not being smart, as it has relevance to the discussion).

I think folk are more outraged because of the negative PR for Irish folks, from that respect it should be discussed but reddit ect took it too far doxxing ect but that didnt happen here.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-j1-accused-of-causing-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-worth-of-damage-was-caused-to-thrashed-rental-home-30604450.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

kneemos wrote: »
    Where's the admission of guilt.

"Some of the students who were named on the lease have since been in touch with the pregnant woman, offering to repay her for the damage caused, claiming that the majority of it had occurred after a party got out of control just days before they were due to return to Ireland."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Where's the admission of guilt.

I suppose it could be assumed based on their emailed apologies and their offeringing to pay for the damage they caused.

I suppose it could be assumed based on their emailed apologies and their offeringing to pay for the damage they caused.

One interpretation,but let's not jump to conclusions eh?

Irrelevant if they were did it or not,the fact that Boards allowed a feeding frenzy of abuse remains.

• Advertisement

Irrelevant if they were did it or not,the fact that Boards allowed a feeding frenzy of abuse remains.

What's another interpretation?

I suppose this is one of those " i am taking part in a discussion and as folk don't agree with my viewpoint i want it closed" moments.

Any post that is OTT would be removed by a mod and should be reported, most of what i can see is a discussion on a topic of interest at the moment. Boards is only facilitating a discussion on current affairs which its user base wants to discuss.

Other than trying to derail this whole thing with accusations of Irish begrudgery what evidence do you have to the contrary that they didnt do it? The article in the news, combined with the article in the independent is a strong indication they are guilty.

I don't care where they are from i just don't like seeing crap like this in the news as it sends the wrong message about the country, that is why i would prefer to talk about it.

So other than total censorship what would you propose be done?

Calhoun wrote: »
    I suppose this is one of those " i am taking part in a discussion and as folk don't agree with my viewpoint i want it closed" moments.

Any post that is OTT would be removed by a mod and should be reported, most of what i can see is a discussion on a topic of interest at the moment. Boards is only facilitating a discussion on current affairs which its user base wants to discuss.

Other than trying to derail this whole thing with accusations of Irish begrudgery what evidence do you have to the contrary that they didnt do it? The article in the news, combined with the article in the independent is a strong indication they are guilty.

I don't care where they are from i just don't like seeing crap like this in the news as it sends the wrong message about the country, that is why i would prefer to talk about it.

So other than total censorship what would you propose be done?

I'll repeat myself and say guilty or not it's irrelevant and I have no problem with it being discussed.

What's another interpretation?

Wanted an end to the coverage,other people caused the damage and they just offered to pay,any number of scenarios.
    Assuming of course the emails were from these people and The
    Independent is correct.

As I say guilt is not the issue,it's the nature of the thread.

I'll repeat myself and say guilty or not it's irrelevant and I have no problem with it being discussed.

Of course you just want the mods to do it for you? Or what is it you want?

What emails are you taking about that proves they are innocent?

Why just this thread though, OP? There are other such threads about people being implicated in doing something that gets condemned. I think that's why people are wondering why you seem to be so concerned specifically in relation to this one.

I'll take your word for it,but I've not seen anything on this level before.
    I have seen "outrage threads"where somebody has committed a crime of some sort and there is the use of scumbag and such,but most people didn't resort or were cautious about using abusive language.

I'm not the only one that feels that thread was way over the top by the way.

A "feeding frenzy of abuse"??? I don't agree. Some strong opinions were put forward, however, there was no doxxing, no identification of the individuals permitted, no direct attacks, etc.

Overall the thread was well monitored & moderated when required. I would say that it was certainly not a free-for-all on the abuse front that you are attempting to portray. Just your interpretation, eh?

Wanted an end to the coverage,other people caused the damage and they just offered to pay,any number of scenarios.
    Assuming of course the emails were from these people and The
    Independent is correct.

As I say guilt is not the issue,it's the nature of the thread.

Offering to pay what sounds to be a very large Bill to stop the coverage but at the same time making themselves look guilty? Especially after sending apologetic emails. Perhaps this is more suitable on thread however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Wow, this is taking obtuse to 11.
    Sure you've no vested interest in this case - sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

But I suppose the question has been asked and no one (that Im aware of!) has answered it yet; why is this thread allowed to continue when other similar threads such as the drunk KPMG girl were closed?

Advertisement