Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7

Options
  • 28-08-2007 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Is it possible to do a H. Dip after having completed a level 7 degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

WHats a level 7 degree? Once its a degree that recognised on the list from the department, then you can do a H Dip, otherwise you have to argue your degree is suitable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A Level 7 degree is the Ordinary Bachelor Degree awarded by HETAC / the IoTs ... what used to be the National Diploma before the NQF came in, and the changed the titles.

Sorry, OP, don't actually know, but there should be something on the DES website.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TheDriver wrote:
    WHats a level 7 degree? Once its a degree that recognised on the list from the department, then you can do a H Dip, otherwise you have to argue your degree is suitable.

A Level 7 Degree is an ordinary degree, as randylonghorn said, it's equivalent to the old Diploma.

An honours degree is level 8, masters level 9 and a PhD is level 10.

OP - I wouldn't think it would be possible to do the H Dip after Level 7, I'd say you would need the level 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The powers that be seem to believe there is some connection between being a good learner (getting an Honours degree) and making a good teacher. Those of us in the real world know this is nonsense, but we don't make the selection rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

This is true, good learners do not necessarily make good teachers. How many of us ahd a nutty professor at school?! I know I did! Salt of the earth but his intelligence was so far ahead of ours he could rarely explain things to us in a broken down, step-by-step method. However yes a level 8 is needed. The booklet from the CAO in Eglinton Street goes through all the courses who can apply quite clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Just to avoid any future confusion because I've heard this said a few times.. an Institute of Technology degree is not always a level 7.

I have a level 8 degree from an IT.. so just a heads up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Trotter wrote:
    Just to avoid any future confusion because I've heard this said a few times.. an Institute of Technology degree is not always a level 7.

Yeah, I think it is quite confusing to call the award an "Ordinary degree" and then have an "Honours degree". I think there is a hint of Americanism with their "Associates Degree" which, if memory serves me correctly, is equivalent to a 2-year certificate in old money.

Where the general confusion may have come from is the fact that Universities don't award Level 7 degrees, whereas ITs do. But what people seem to forget is that ITs also award Level 8 degrees (and dare I say it Level 9 and Level 10, both accredited by HETAC).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

tom dunne wrote:
    Where the general confusion may have come from is the fact that Universities don't award Level 7 degrees, whereas ITs do. But what people seem to forget is that ITs also award Level 8 degrees (and dare I say it Level 9 and Level 10, both accredited by HETAC).
    Dare away ... just watch out for the CHIU ninja SWOT team! :D

Seriously, though, I agree with you, Tom, I think the new nomenclature just confuses the hell out of everybody. People are finding it hard enough to get used to the NQF and the levels, without a Bachelors degree at Level 7 and a Bachelors degree at Level 8 to further obfuscate the thing. The fact that the number of years / ECTS credits isn't consistent across the whole 3L system doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I remember a girl in my college year that finished after 3 years with an ordinary degree (or "common degree" or some name for same thing) but basically we went onto honours year and she did the dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Trotter wrote:

Yea, same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 abdul_boom

Hello guys, i am international student so im really having a hard time to differentiate between the level 7 and level 8. I now have a level 7 degree in IT and i understand i cannot join masters without level 8 in ireland. But i wonder if i can join masters in American university? as they require a degree equivalent of bachelors, or there is something in the states education system to level 7? its kinda hard to find information on this term, so i would really appreciate some answers. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

A standard Bachelors degree is level 7 on the NFQ whether you obtain it with a pass or an honour mark. A level 8 Bachelors degree is an honours degree when it is fulltime course over 4 years or comprises of 2 core subjects (joint honours) regardless of whether you obtain a pass or honour as your final mark.

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

on a similar theme, i've been looking to add a subject to my vulnerable history geography combo. years ago i did a nat diploma (level 7) in hotel and catering and business studies. according to the teaching council website the level 8 of the course that i did allows to teach accounting and business studies. i could do the full final year of hotel and catering and get the level 8 but it just seams pointless doing all the hotel and catering stuff when i only need the business exams. does anyone know could i just do the relevant accounting and business exams for credits? i phoned the teaching council but the one i spoke to didn't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Maybe contact a college that does business courses like UCD or d.i.t. You'd need to work out how many credits you need in the business subjects to allow you to teach it, how many you already have and then work out what you're missing

Advertisement