Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable Mechanic/Garage in Limerick

Options
  • 09-11-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I just had my 2008 car serviced in a dealership and pre NCT check, and handed an extortionate estimate for work that needs to be done. There's no way I can afford their prices but I know I have to get the work done asap. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy garage that won't try and fleece a lady driver? Location preferably Southside Limerick City and County. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Myself and my mother both use Rory Browne Ballyneety, Just behind the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Define "extortionate estimate"!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CailinRua75

Thank you, I'll definitely give him a call.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Define "extortionate estimate"!
    Ha Ha maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but work that I would have expected to pay between €500 and €700 for was going to cost €1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A pre NCT check is a waste of money imo. Best just do the basic NCT preparation checks and then just send it through. Let the test then tell you what needs fixing if it fails. Getting everything on a pre NCT check done is still no guarantee it will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 23 leftfinger

I use pjs garage on the ennis road seems reasonable might be a little bit slow getting the work done but it's always done right.

Can't post a link but if you Google pjs garage you should find his website

bazz26 wrote: »
    A pre NCT check is a waste of money imo. Best just do the basic NCT preparation checks and then just send it through. Let the test then tell you what needs fixing if it fails. Getting everything on a pre NCT check done is still no guarantee it will pass.

True, thats what I'll probably do in the future. They have me so freaked out with the list of faults this time that i'll have to get some done before I send it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

True, thats what I'll probably do in the future. They have me so freaked out with the list of faults this time that i'll have to get some done before I send it in!

You might wind up getting stuff done that need not be done let the nct tell you what needs doing . I know that the nct telling you whats wrong will save you money but still not perfect as they let my sisters car through with the brakes on the way out as they had their quota for the day got .

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I've decided to let it through the NCT and see what comes up and in the meantime I'll get some quotes from the recommended mechanics for the jobs I know need doing. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement