Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genital warts - help!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Thaedydal wrote: »
    and both genital warts and gential herpes can be contracted even if a person practices safer sex and uses a condom. A person can only have 1 sexual partner and have used a condom and it is possible they could get both, they would have to be very unlucky but it is possible.

Thaedyndal, just curious about your post there. So if you're fully protected lets say with a condom and so on, you can still have the risk of contracting it. That's rather frightening really. So theres no real safe guard to it, unless you and your OH get checked out? That's something I was never aware off at all. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

This thread is awful, so many god damn ignorant and pious people.

OP: You have no choice but to either go to a private clinic (e.g. Dr. Friedman in Dublin) or use our inefficient and time consuming public health system. So you may as well stop complaining about this and just get on with it.

Regarding the warts, you may never get rid of them forever. Your immune system will decide. So the best thing to do is to try to get as healthy as possible and stay as healthy as possible.

So go to the doctor, get them removed, and try to build up your immune system. That's all you can do. Try to get some perspective and realise genital warts really aren't a big deal. It's not like you have AIDS or Hepatitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP - you should go to WellWoman Clinic.

I found out I had genital warts a few years ago and majorly freaked out. I'd had 2 sexual partners and both were long term. I was really really upset (I didnt know much about HPV at the time) but the GP was rather dismissive of it. Said she'd refer me to Beaumont and said I would get a letter in the post for an appointment.

In the mean time, I made an appointment at the WellWoman Clinic and they sorted it out in one treatment for me. The nurse was very supportive and said 90% of people who have sex have HPV but that women and people with low immune systems are more likely to develop warts.

After about 2 months I got a letter in the post from Beaumont for an appointment in 6 months time!!!

My advice is pay the extra money and get it sorted privately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Muddledud

Question, I've had GW past month or 2 and they seem to be clearing, without much hassle, iv found apple cider vinegar very effective :), however my partner informs me that i must get my bloods done, that its just a routine procedure to check for any other STDS, I know its better safe then sorry, but I hate HATE needles and iv no other symptoms of anything else, do I have to get it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Thaedyndal, just curious about your post there. So if you're fully protected lets say with a condom and so on, you can still have the risk of contracting it. That's rather frightening really. So theres no real safe guard to it, unless you and your OH get checked out? That's something I was never aware off at all. :eek:

Yup, herpes and warts are spread by skin-to-skin contact (as opposed to bodily fluids that condoms provide a barrier for) so you can indeed get herpes or genital warts even if you use condoms every single time.

Only way to prevent these STIs is total abstinence. Even if your partner has tested clear for both, there's no guarantee they're not carrying the virus(es) latently and they won't develop in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gayguy2009

OP,

I really feel for you that you have gotten genital warts. I have had an awful experience with them.

However there maybe a physical difference when women get them, but the mental aspect is still the same in men and women. It was the mental aspect that was the worst about the whole situation.

Don't worry though OP, it is an extremely common STD. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Magenta, I think you are being extremely harsh saying its her fault. 50% of people have HPV and can still pass without showing symptoms. Ya don't know who could have it.

Big tip for you OP, do not stress yourself! Do not read up on HPV on the internet. The net makes it 10 times worse than its made out to be. Just stick to the professionals and you will be treated in no time :)

PS Keep health and eat well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Magenta wrote: »
    First of all stop blaming the health service. It's your own fault you are in this situation.
    Go to the Well Woman centre and use condoms in future.

You can get HPV while using condoms - it's transmitted from skin to skin contact. I always use condoms and contracted HPV from an ex who had had a relationship during a period after we broke up and before we started going out again.

Carriers do not have to be symptomatic - you don't have to have visible warts to be contagious. She wasn't, he wasn't (and had negative results from an STI screen) - I was the unfortunate one who developed warts.

Try the wellwoman clinics - I found them excellent. Good luck OP - they will go at some point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

This thread is from 2010 - could posters check the dates on the threads they are answering and if anyone has a query, start their own thread rather than bumping someone else's.

Many thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement