Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Cullen of the Squad - What happened to him?

Options
  • 05-01-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I was paging through P. O Ruairc's book of photographs "Revolution" (a fine book, btw), and there's a group photo from an IRA meeting in Armagh to commemorate 1916. Included in the photo is Tom Cullen, who is identified as Michael Collin's bodyguard. This made me curious as to what happened to Tom Cullen. Liam Tobin has a brief statement with the BMH, but there's nothing from Tom Cullen.

Does anyone know what happened to him after the revolution & Civil War?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Hi Tom Cullen died in a drowning accident on June 20th 1925 or 1926. Maybe an online newspaper from the period would shed more light if you searched on those dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

molders wrote: »
    Hi Tom Cullen died in a drowning accident on June 20th 1925 or 1926. Maybe an online newspaper from the period would shed more light if you searched on those dates.

Wow. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I do have access to news archives, so I will look into it. I had a feeling he must have died young, as he seemed to have just disappeared, and there was no statement with the BMH.

Again, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Your very welcome, glad I could be of help. I've an old photo of Tom Cullen's grave with a number of old IRA men around (including Frank Thornton) but from looking at it I just can't be sure of the year of his death, but its definetly either 1925 or 26. I can't attach a photo as I've less then 50 posts sorry! If its any use in your search the inscription on his grave reads "Major General Thomas Cullen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

After 1922 he was an army officer (General?) and was drowned on 20th June 1926 - it was in Lough Dan in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

I haven't found an obituary yet (my university doesn't have a lot of access to historical papers from Ireland), but I *did* find an item in the London Times from November 27 1925 that Maj. Gen. Tom Cullen was being evicted from his lodge in Phoenix Park after resigning from the free state army (and refused to relinquish his official residence!). He had been ADC to the governor general. So he was still alive at that time.

I have the "too few posts" problem, too, so can't offer a link. Now to think of it, I should probably check "find-a-grave".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

molders wrote: »

Thanks Molders for that information. It is great that you took the time to respond to the posters query

Advertisement