Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food question

Options
  • 29-07-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

What food do you like that you can't find a young 'un that will eat?

Might I suggest picalilly? :eek:

How many yoofs do you know that eat that?

How many of us more mature citizens eat it? ;)

I suspect the number of mature folks far outweighs the number of young burger munchers. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Haven't had picalilly in years, I used to love it as a young one, especially the cauliflower bits, but you never see it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Is it still around? It looked like, so gross, I like, never ventured there, like. Did it end with an 'i', not a 'y', like!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

looksee wrote: »
    Haven't had picalilly in years, I used to love it as a young one, especially the cauliflower bits, but you never see it now.

I hope it is still available or I have no idea what I put on me ham sarnie today lol
    :D
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Is it still around? It looked like, so gross, I like, never ventured there, like. Did it end with an 'i', not a 'y', like!

Not sure on that one Jelly hang on I will get a quick look at the jar ..... indeed tis spelled with an i :)

I thought something looked odd about the word! Anyway now you mention it I will look out for it.

I really can't think of anything much that used be available and I might recommend to a young one, mostly I think I prefer the newer stuff! We always had Salad Cream when I was growing up, but I much prefer mayo, and a lot of the cheese was 'plastic', there is much nicer stuff now.

mustard?

• Advertisement

Himself is a mustard eater. I'm the one for salad cream. I love it in potato salad. Mayo is yummy on chips. What I can't get these days is really good pre-cooked and sliced corned beef. It used to be red, meaty and tasty. These days its just full of fat and pale pink in colour. The brawn used to be nicer years ago but the last time I saw it in a shop it looked almost purple and nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Rubecula wrote: »
    mustard?

Ah no, Mustard is still fairly popular, it's just that these Johnny come lately's don't like to mix their own from Powder, they prefer fancy Spanish and french ones.

Another lost food is Lemon Curd, never see anyone eating it anymore

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Ah no, Mustard is still fairly popular, it's just that these Johnny come lately's don't like to mix their own from Powder, they prefer fancy Spanish and french ones.

Another lost food is Lemon Curd, never see anyone eating it anymore

I love Lemon Curd, I have a jar of it every two years or so .. (I am diabetic)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My missus made a few pots of lemon curd a few weeks ago...and then she gave them away as gifts before I could get my fingers into the jars. :mad:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sliced tongue
    Kidneys and liver
    Crubeens

• Advertisement

Sliced tongue
    Kidneys and liver
    Crubeens

I used to enjoy boiled tongue, and I well remember eating crubeens, but never took to liver. A little kidney in a casserole is always a bonus. Can't get the kinder to eat any of those these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What IS picalilli :confused: I've heard of it but have absolutely no notion what it actually is. (and yes, I know I could just google it!)

Ironically as a young'un I absolutely loved liver and kidneys - but no money would make me eat them these days. Liver is still the tastiest-smelling food I know of, but the texture - and having learned in biology classes what it actually does - euuughhh!

Well I remember it as being pickled cauliflower and chunks of something else resembling cucumber but Wiki tells me it was vegetable marrow. I couldn't stomach even looking at it because the pickled cauliflower just looked like those jars of preserved brains you see in the laboratory of fiendish scientists in every horror movie ever made! Gave me the creeps!

Sliced tongue
    Kidneys and liver
    Crubeens

I love tongue and all offal foods including stuffed heart. BUT I have no idea what a crubeen is.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What IS picalilli :confused: I've heard of it but have absolutely no notion what it actually is. (and yes, I know I could just google it!)

Picalilli is a yeloow substance with bits in. The bits usually consist of pickled onions, marrow (or gherkin pieces), pieces of cauliflower and perhaps a couple of other things. I was told that the yellow colour used to be made by the addition of mustard, but I am not sure of this. However it is a spicey pickle that goes well on ham sandwiches and other things you have pickle with instead of chutney etc. (Although you can have both pickle, picalilli with chips :) )

I love tongue and all offal foods including stuffed heart. BUT I have no idea what a crubeen is.

Picalilli is a yeloow substance with bits in. The bits usually consist of pickled onions, marrow (or gherkin pieces), pieces of cauliflower and perhaps a couple of other things. I was told that the yellow colour used to be made by the addition of mustard, but I am not sure of this. However it is a spicey pickle that goes well on ham sandwiches and other things you have pickle with instead of chutney etc. (Although you can have both pickle, picalilli with chips :) )

A pig's foot, if I'm not mistaken. How anyone could find that appetising is beyond me :eek:

I don't think I'll be adding picalilli to the list of things I feel I've missed out on in this life :D

WOW not had a pig's trotter in years. Used to love them when my gran made them up for us.

Its yellow. Kinda mustardy yellow but with a sharper vinegary taste as well. I can only remember the cauliflower specifically because they were my favourite bits.

Edit- it makes hang sanwijes very lumpy.

Heidi, forget about the picallili, but crubeens.......y'gotta have a good suck on one of those.......lipsmackin'! As long as you don't come across any hairs! The hairs detract from the lipsmackin' y'see. There is minimal meat, the majority of a crubeen is pig fat and bone, and.....erm....toes!

(De devil made me do it!) :D

Heidi, forget about the picallili, but crubeens.......y'gotta have a good suck on one of those.......lipsmackin'! As long as you don't come across any hairs! The hairs detract from the lipsmackin' y'see. There is minimal meat, the majority of a crubeen is pig fat and bone, and.....erm....toes!

Ah lads, I'm going to have nightmares now on the back of that - and that was before I even opened the picture :eek:

You're bringing back memories of when we used to visit the family rellies down the wesht every summer and they'd sit tucking into the hairy bacon fat (with little or no meat attached, that clearly wasn't the point of it at all!) with gusto. Myself and my equally mollycoddled dub siblings lived for the week or two on the new spuds dug from the garden and the soda bread baked in the range - all we'd touch!

Sorry, OP, I appear to have dragged your thread in the completely opposite direction from where you'd intended it to go......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I am eating picallili as we speak..on a cracker with cheese... I make it myself though...its gorgeous...http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/jamie-s-piccalilli

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah lads, I'm going to have nightmares now on the back of that - and that was before I even opened the picture :eek:

You're bringing back memories of when we used to visit the family rellies down the wesht every summer and they'd sit tucking into the hairy bacon fat (with little or no meat attached, that clearly wasn't the point of it at all!) with gusto. Myself and my equally mollycoddled dub siblings lived for the week or two on the new spuds dug from the garden and the soda bread baked in the range - all we'd touch!

Sorry, OP, I appear to have dragged your thread in the completely opposite direction from where you'd intended it to go......

no thread in here stays on track :D It is what happens when senility gets in the system you see. Well senility or toothless sucking on a pig bit.
    I am eating picallili as we speak..on a cracker with cheese... I make it myself though...its gorgeous...http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/jamie-s-piccalilli

home made is the best. me mum used to make all kinds of pickled things. Used to love the oul Pickled Eggs so I did. :):)

Jelly I love ya hon, a lass after me own heart. (Although a chew on a pigs heart with sage and onion stuffing in gravy is pretty fine too. ) :D

no thread in here stays on track :D It is what happens when senility gets in the system you see. Well senility or toothless sucking on a pig bit.

home made is the best. me mum used to make all kinds of pickled things. Used to love the oul Pickled Eggs so I did. :):)

Jelly I love ya hon, a lass after me own heart. (Although a chew on a pigs heart with sage and onion stuffing in gravy is pretty fine too. ) :D

*unfollows thread and puts cold compress on forehead* :eek::eek::eek:

Can't cope with heart or tongue - heart because it is disgusting and tongue because the idea is disgusting. Not keen on kidneys either. But I do like liver, and tripe. I used like chitterlings when i was a kid too, haven't had them since and I am not sure I could eat them now I have fully (ahem) digested what they are.

Chitterlings :confused::confused::confused:

What's them when they're at home?

(ok I might have lied about unfollowing the thread)

pigs intestine

I love piggy middle bits. I like other middle bits too Love tripe with vinegar and onions.

Pig's belly (NO not belly pork) is almost like a pink tripe which I used to buy from the market in Liverpool as a kid. The stall holder used to chop it up and put in a paper bag with a splash of vinegar and then I could walk along eating it a bit at a time out of the bag.

PS tripe only comes from ruminants such as cattle or sheep. Pigs belly would be Pig Tripe if the name was not inaccurate.

My stomach's feeling queasy now. (Pass the tomato throw-up please, ugh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm thankful that there is a much larger variety of foods available to us now in comparison to what we had in days gone by. There might be a nostalgic longing for tripe and onions or a nice coddle but now we have access to the wondrous foods from around the world. Can you imaging yore ma getting her head around cooking a red snapper curry? Or a nice bowl of pho? Back in the day pasta and rice were exotic. The closest we got to foreign food was a Vesta beef curry.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

for us a banana was pretty exotic too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Yonks ago, in a work canteen, they served liver and onion every second Tuesday. No idea how they did it - rumour was that they simmered it for two weeks - but it wasn't chewy liver with rubber bands going through it. It was "almost" mushy and packed with onionie flavour. Mrs. BrensBenz won't buy liver a tall a tall so, for me, it's a thing of the past.

PS: My only begotten children won't eat gurrcake! Unfortunately, they have also refused to buy it for their aging, ailing papa. When asked why, I got "people might see us!"

Advertisement