Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Leaving Cert Oral Questions

Options
  • 08-03-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So, I've just been told that my Japanese oral will be in three weeks (PANICKING), but there's some things I need cleared up.

Firstly, what way should I greet the examiner, and do i need to bow?

Secondly, when talking about my school subjects what should I call English and Irish? My Japanese book says that the subject of your national language is 国語 (kokugo), but since both English and Irish are our national languages which do I call 国語, or should I just use 英語 (eigo) and アイルランド語 (airurando-go) for both of them?

Third, how politely should I speak to examiner? In my other language subjects, the teachers told me to treat the oral like a casual chat, and be very informal. Does the same apply to Japanese? Also, it would be nice if you could give me some sample sentences to help me understand the manner of speech needed.

Lastly, everything I know about Japanese comes from the book "Nihongo Kantan", so if there is anything you know of not covered in that book that I need, please tell me.

Sorry if these questions have been answered here before, but I had a look and couldn't find any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I didn't do Japanese for the Leaving Cert unfortunately so I can't answer all your questions and will leave it up to someone who did to confirm these!

Greeting - the usual greeting for a situation like this would be saying 失礼します (しつれいします)upon entering the room. Have you heard that before? I'll need someone to confirm if it's covered on the LC syllabus I guess. A small bow would be a good idea I'd say, nothing too extravagant necessary though.

I'd go with 英語 and アイルランド語. I've never used 国語 in college either in Japan or Ireland when talking about languages anyway.

You should speak to the examiner using the -masu form. Do not use dictionary/polite form. No need for keigo either (pretty sure that's not on the LC syllabus anyway). Just stick to everything in the masu form and you'll be grand. Obviously avoid any slang or the use of あなた too.

I know we have some users on here who did Japanese for the LC though so I'm sure they can give you some more precise advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Have you a had a look at the pictures and topics on examinations.ie?

Other than that you seem to be fine, the oral is very structured so the small talking moves quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Hey OP

Did Japanese for leaving cert back in 2008.

When listing your subjects, 英語 and アイルランド語 are perfectly acceptable.
    The examiner won't try to trick you up with 国語、and if they do just go with the language you speak mostly, be it English or Irish.

Speak to the examiner with the utmost politeness. You can match the examiner's level of politeness as you get into the swing of the conversation.

If you want another Japanese text book, I liked the Australian text book. I believe it was called tsumiki 2.

Was used by Irish students of Japanese before "Nihongo Kantan" - very well laid out and had sentence structures which were not in "Nihongo Kantan"

Not sure if that was any help for you, but good luck with the Oral. Much easier than the Irish one :)

Advertisement