Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deductions for those on social welfare?

• 09-09-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

I saw a poster on the train the other day that stated ;if you are caught with an invalid/out of date social welfare card, you will get fined a 1000 euros. It had the Iar Eir logo at the bottom.

It was my first time seeing this. Considering my ticket cost 70e (pre booked), I thought I'd check it out on line but cannot find anything as regards deductions on the website.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I assume it apply to the social welfare free travel pass / card and not the general social welfare card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

A- ha!

I hear ya!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

simonsays1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I saw a poster on the train the other day that stated ;if you are caught with an invalid/out of date social welfare card, you will get fined a 1000 euros. It had the Iar Eir logo at the bottom.

It was my first time seeing this. Considering my ticket cost 70e (pre booked), I thought I'd check it out on line but cannot find anything as regards deductions on the website.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

It would be interesting to see a Screen-Shot of that poster.

The wording is somewhat ambiguous as the current DSP Free Travel Pass does'nt have ANY date to actually be out of ?

In addition,a significant number of DSP Pass Holders do not require a "Card" at all.

A similar notice was placed on Bus Atha Cliath vehicles for a period,but was hastily removed after a short period,for reasons as yet unknown.

The notice would appear to reference the situation where a person is caught with an invalid Free Travel Pass.

This will render them as travelling without a Valid Ticket,and as such liable to a Standard/Penalty Fare...of c.€100.

The reference to €1,000 and Jail Time only comes into play if the Standard Fare is unpaid and the individual is convicted in Court of the offence...It is,most certainly a worst-case scenario and one which,as with the €3,000 Smoking Fine, is rarely,if ever,found to occur.

However,it does give an indication of where the thinking re the DSP scheme is going,and it won't be nice to witness.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see a Screen-Shot of that poster.

Luckily for you I happen to be on a train right now.

Luckily for you I happen to be on a train right now.

Rather vague to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Rather vague to say the least.

No, an invalid pass would be a nicked, brought or forged one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Or borrowed. Basically, a pass issued to someone else is invalid for your journey, even if it would be valid for his.

Banjoxed wrote: »

I mean in the sense that (as above) it could easily be confused with the general social welfare card, it would be better to say social welfare travel pass or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Train & Rail Systems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It looks like that poster might be aimed at the new social welfare cards which also contain free travel details but the poster may be a little premature in its release if that is the case becaise of the rate of issue of the new welfare free travel cards.

The new cards can obviously be voided remotely or blacklisted so when checked by RPU staff it will show as being invalid.

They really should have waited till thousands rather than hundreds of the new cards with free travel had been issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It looks like that poster might be aimed at the new social welfare cards which also contain free travel details but the poster may be a little premature in its release if that is the case becaise of the rate of issue of the new welfare free travel cards.

The new cards can obviously be voided remotely or blacklisted so when checked by RPU staff it will show as being invalid.

They really should have waited till thousands rather than hundreds of the new cards with free travel had been issued.

Why wait - starting early may deter some from trying it in the first place.

Advertisement