Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to now

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I decided to search about a year ago. Did my own search and found a lot of information about BM. Armed with this I met with social worker from agency. From there I let the agency handle contacting her. They
    sent a letter to her which was returned stating "not known at this address". A registered letter was then sent and again returned "not known at this address".

The social worker told me there was not much more we could do at this time. It is quite hard to forget about it. From my own research I know a lot about BM and her family. Her grown-up children are also on facebook. I can see what they look like but that is it.

I have also started to wonder if the letters were actually sent to the wrong address and she was genuinely not known at that address.

Where to now - I dont know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi I was just wondering if you or the agency found this address or if you have it? You could check the voting registers for that area or even online to see if she is listed. If not then its back to the full facts you know about her, Marriage cert for her and husband, birth certs for her children and even any marriage certs for children. You could also check obituaries for her parents if they are dead and this might give you info like her brothers and sisters details or there where abouts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm inclined to agree with tyview.
    It doesn't really sound as though they did anything other than lookup the address they had on file- sent a letter, and received an 'unknown at this address' in return (after decades, not unexpectedly).

Have a look at our traceguides here- they will give you some ideas of further directions you can take your search in.

It sounds like you have oodles of information- and just need a few pointers on how to get over the final few hurdles.

If any of us can offer any help or guidance- please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AN Other

tyview wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if you or the agency found this address or if you have it? You could check the voting registers for that area or even online to see if she is listed. If not then its back to the full facts you know about her, Marriage cert for her and husband, birth certs for her children and even any marriage certs for children. You could also check obituaries for her parents if they are dead and this might give you info like her brothers and sisters details or there where abouts.

I don't have the actual address but I know the town/area. How would you go about checking voting register without knowing address? Obviously the agency could not give me address but took on board the info I had and seemed confident of having the right info.
    With regard to all the certs, births deaths and marriages etc, I have all that. I also know of BM's brothers, sisters.

smccarrick wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with tyview.
    It doesn't really sound as though they did anything other than lookup the address they had on file- sent a letter, and received an 'unknown at this address' in return (after decades, not unexpectedly).

Have a look at our traceguides here- they will give you some ideas of further directions you can take your search in.

It sounds like you have oodles of information- and just need a few pointers on how to get over the final few hurdles.

If any of us can offer any help or guidance- please feel free to ask.

thanks. I guess if the letters went to the right person and returned there is not much more I can do about it.

AN Other wrote: »
    I don't have the actual address but I know the town/area. How would you go about checking voting register without knowing address? Obviously the agency could not give me address but took on board the info I had and seemed confident of having the right info.
    With regard to all the certs, births deaths and marriages etc, I have all that. I also know of BM's brothers, sisters.

Ok so the social workers sent a letter to 'an' address and got their letter returned but you are only assuming they have the correct address. Next step is a bit of detective work on your part. You can check the register online if you know the address. I think I remember reading that you can check them at a local library or garda station though in the area your BM lives but I'm not 100% on that and i guess that would only be possible if its near you. First things first you need to do is check the certs you have and using the most recent ones, check them addresses out. I know it seems like a needle in a haystack but keep going. You could post up the dates and things you have (without giving the exact addresses etc) and this might give us a better idea of where to next :)

• Advertisement

Ok so the social workers sent a letter to 'an' address and got their letter returned but you are only assuming they have the correct address. Next step is a bit of detective work on your part. You can check the register online if you know the address. I think I remember reading that you can check them at a local library or garda station though in the area your BM lives but I'm not 100% on that and i guess that would only be possible if its near you. First things first you need to do is check the certs you have and using the most recent ones, check them addresses out. I know it seems like a needle in a haystack but keep going. You could post up the dates and things you have (without giving the exact addresses etc) and this might give us a better idea of where to next :)

I have my birth cert, her birth cert and her marriage cert.

ok so I would get her childrens birth certs to check the addresses on them. They may be all the same address or you could check for marriages for her children. They may have lived at home before the marriage.

Others may have more suggestions to get you going again....

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

ok so I would get her childrens birth certs to check the addresses on them. They may be all the same address or you could check for marriages for her children. They may have lived at home before the marriage.

Others may have more suggestions to get you going again....

Best of luck

You have a lot of info.
    A private detective would might be a thought. Be careful who you get. Ring a few to get an idea of price etc.

Advertisement