Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noonan and Feta Cheese.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

20Cent wrote: »
    I think our connections with Greece consists of more than a few products on the shelves and holidays.

Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Your question has nothing to do with the OP, which was about Noonan acting like an idiot on a well known and respected business news outlet.

You still haven't given an opinion on the original OP but have instead resorted to talk about appropriate terminology. However, since you have gone down that route Noonon is extremely ill informed if he thinks a Greek withdrawal of the euro won't have an effect on us.

sarumite wrote: »
    Such as?

The Euro and it's possible collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

Stupid statement. Made him look like an idiot and did nothing for any European ideals. It wasn't exactly supportive - "I'm ok, Jack."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Your question has nothing to do with the OP, which was about Noonan acting like an idiot on a well known and respected business news outlet.

I was asking a poster to clarify their comment.
    You still haven't given an opinion on the original OP but have instead resorted to talk about appropriate terminology. However, since you have gone down that route Noonon is extremely ill informed if he thinks a Greek withdrawal of the euro won't have an effect on us.

I don't believe its in the forum charter that I must provide an opinion on the original OP to post on a particular thread or ask another poster to clarify their position.

This is what the article said

“Apart from holidaying in the Greek islands, I think most Irish people don’t have a lot (of connections with Greece),” he said.
    “If you go into the shops here, apart from feta cheese, how many Greek items do you put in your basket?”

At face value I agree with those words. He is right that most Irish people do not have a lot of connection etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I watched it yesterday. the man made my skin crawl. he had such creepy manner to him. slouching back, laughing inappropriately and using his best "get in my van" voice.

*unclean!*

Watch the video if you can. The words don't tell the whole story plus it takes no account of a Greek exit from the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

sarumite wrote: »
    Such as?

The 600m or so they owe us after we helped bail out their banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I saw this on the telly last night and heard it on the radio this morning. And like anything else, tone is important.

I think it was an unbelievably stupid thing to say. I can imagine civil servants in the Departments of Finance and Foreign Affairs cringing at this one.
    Noonon is extremely ill informed if he thinks a Greek withdrawal of the euro won't have an effect on us.

Agreed. It's already having an effect. Look at our bond yields - 10 year money up 0.5% and shorter term money up 2% :eek:.

There's also a lot of arrogance about this which is reminiscent to me of Celtic Tiger times - "we're the good boys now, paying our bills and quietly getting on with it, and oh-ho-ho, would you look at them pathetic Greeks".

If he thinks that the only link between Ireland and Greece is holiday makers and feta cheese buyers, somone would want to sit him down and give him the ABCs of how financially inter-connected we all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm sure it's available to look at. It was pathetic to talk of another countries woes with little or no regard for its citizens. And he was laughing.

Well pointing out that Greece doesn't have a great export sector is self evident I would have thought, If he was laughing and thought he was being funny, well very ill advised.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I'm sure it's available to look at. It was pathetic to talk of another countries woes with little or no regard for its citizens. And he was laughing.

The exact reason why in the long run, the possibility of a fiscally,politically united Europe looks increasingly unlikely. So much talk about solidarity and unity but in reality what we see is grandstanding, brinkmanship, nationalistic interests and the apportion of blames.

In my opinion, that is why the Greeks voted en masse for left wing parties like Syriza, a party whose message is that Europe cannot afford to let Greece leave the monetary union. In a sense, they are quite right.

The consequences will be dire, ignore the rhetorics and soundbites, the markets will destroy the Euro zone in less than a year if Greece were to leave.

I was so annoyed a few years ago when a French politician went on air after the Irish voted No to an EU referendum and said they were biting the fingers that fed them, I thought that comment was disingenious, uncalled for and very inappropriate. Never did I think that an Irish politician, talkless of (a Finance Minister that would be aware of the connotations and the weight of his utterances) will be making a similar hurtful remark. Disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

That feta cheese would actually get cheaper so that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

serfboard wrote: »
    If he thinks that the only link between Ireland and Greece is holiday makers and feta cheese buyers, somone would want to sit him down and give him the ABCs of how financially inter-connected we all are.

I would find it very hard to believe that Noonan thinks this. The dogs on the street know that if Greece goes down it would make life very difficult for Ireland. Seems to me he was trying to play down the effects rather than entirely dismiss them. He could've been a lot more tactful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

serfboard wrote: »
    While his comments were exaggerated in that a Greek exit would adversely affect Ireland, it's not quite clear that it would adversely affect Ireland worse than the rest of the Eurozone, or at least worse than Portugal, Spain or Italy.

We have no tangible economic connection to Greece - Noonan is quite right there. In this case, I think people are confusing the terms 'economic' and 'monetary'. We live in a monetary union, not a real economic union.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, think about it in context.

If the UK went tits up, we would quickly follow them. We export huge amounts of good to the UK and import huge amounts of goods from them.

The same can't be said for Greece, we do relatively little trade with them. Greece crashing and burning would have practically no effect on our exports.

That's what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just feta cheese?

How about that gorgeous 1ltr tub of greek yoghurt from Lidl and the rest of the greek range they do comes from Greece - tzatziki, stuffed vineleaves, those little stuffed peppers. K

Kalamata olives are the only ones I eat. Ouzo - v.cheap and good from Lidl. Wish we could get more retsina instead of the pricey retinitis stuff from odd bins.

Pitta breads? Most farmed sea bream here comes from Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Tazz T wrote: »
    Just feta cheese?

How about that gorgeous 1ltr tub of greek yoghurt from Lidl and the rest of the greek range they do comes from Greece - tzatziki, stuffed vineleaves, those little stuffed peppers. K

Kalamata olives are the only ones I eat. Ouzo - v.cheap and good from Lidl. Wish we could get more retsina instead of the pricey retinitis stuff from odd bins.

aa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Slow news day for the opposition I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

femur61 wrote: »
    I heard his comment on the 12 O clock news. Newstalk had an economist on thier lunch time show talking about the contagion effect, and she didn't mention feta cheese. I had such high hopes for this governemnt but at the moment the comments;
    Noonan - "economy will take off like a rocket"
    Enda- "get a job"
    HOgan- "go home and look after the kids"

Varadakar made some inane comment recently as well but too early in the morning to remember it.

Not to mention Sherlocks comments about the online community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Tazz T wrote: »
    Just feta cheese?

If made in Greece, they would get cheaper.
    What could bother us is what Irish goods the Greeks put into their baskets. And it's nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,400 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Noonan is only telling it how it is. He is perfectly correct in his statement though. Greece isn't a major trading partner for Ireland, and should they be ejected from the Euro, no one is going to miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Noonan is only telling it how it is. He is perfectly correct in his statement though. Greece isn't a major trading partner for Ireland, and should they be ejected from the Euro, no one is going to miss them.

Quite illuminating but I disagree! Eject Greece from the Eurozone, no one will miss them? I dont think the financial markets who are the ultimate deciders will follow your logic.

Once Greece leaves the Euro, the attention will be shifted ( if it hasnt already) to other heavily indebted member states. Unless we want to be naive, the contagion effect of Greece or any member nation leaving the Euro will be catastrophic. There is talk of building a firewall to protect other countries but Germany is not ready to make any further financial commitments, their argument is that until other EZ nations sign up to the fiscal treaty, it is just like putting German tax payers money down to the drain to pay for pensions for a retired 50 year old Greek hair dresser. They are right to some extent but they seem to forget that:

(1) These rules should have been put in place before the economic monetary union? was set up, with a strict regulatory framework and with defined mechanisms for the enforcement of these rules. Germany broke the rules of the SGP before the current crisis and now they are making the rules as the crisis progresses and leaving no room for flexibility.

(2) A union is underpinned by symbiotic relationships. Germany has benefitted enormously from the Euro. As an export nation, it has successfully sold her products and services to other countries while having a competitve advantage. Germany cannot eat its cake and have it. During the boom years, they sold their products to Europe, while providing them cheap credit to purchase them-these products also includes military equipments supplied to Greece by the way. I am wondering where the efficient Bundesbank was at the time to warn, curb or control excessive spending?

I am not absolving Greece or any other struggling EZ nation of blame, far from it but the level of villification is breath taking. Greeks have been referred to as lazy only for us to find out they work more hours than Germans, French, Austrians and indeed Irish people.

France wants a change in direction, the Netherlands is advocating for a relaxation of the fiscal rules, Spain have openly declared that it cannot meet elements of a fiscal treaty they signed up to, the Italian workers unions are resisting change,the USA says they wont contribute a cent to the IMF to bail out Europe, Canada is even more critical and adamant suggesting that IMF funds should go to countries that actually need them, the BRIC countries are towing similar lines and China is patiently waiting in the wings to buy any state assets up for sale.

Don't you see this is greater than a Greek problem? Is it not time for a rethink of the current policy direction instead of the current blame game?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Greece isn't a major trading partner for Ireland, and should they be ejected from the Euro, no one is going to miss them.

Charming attitude.Should ireland be ejected from the euro we wont be missed either so its a bit shortterm to take this approach to the country thats just slightly further down the road then we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I could well imagine the uproar here if one of the our other European partners said something similar about Ireland,We are in know position to be critising any other country and personally thing the remark was uncalled for and childless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We are living in the Troika glass house too, even if we are in better situation than Greece is right now.
    No time for Noonan to be throwing stones like that.

jonsnow wrote: »
    Charming attitude.Should ireland be ejected from the euro we wont be missed either so its a bit shortterm to take this approach to the country thats just slightly further down the road then we are.

They're a bit more than "just slightly" down the road than us. Having damn all of an export economy, an inability to collect their taxes properly, a well developed ability to cook their books, wanting their cake and to eat it too (want to stay in the Euro, don't want to do what's necessary) and now with added political instability.

Oh, as well as causing huge instability within Europe to boot.

I can't see Ireland being ejected from the Euro, and I don't think we should leave it. In all discussion I've heard Ireland has been singled out as the one PIIGS country that has a chance of joining a "Northern Euro" if you will.

Right down the line, and I appreciate the situation for the Greek people now is not a good one, the Greeks have shown an attitude of almost hostility in their actions as a Euro member. They do not miss an opportunity to rock the boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've just seen the (Feta Cheese) comment aired on The Week in Politics.

Poor enough form to come out with something like that in the first place, but the píss taking laughter that accompanied it was very ill advised.

Noonan (when representing Ireland of all places) is in no position to make light of the financial plight of other countries. Especially fellow EU member states.

I'd say our ambassador to Athens had his head in his hands when he saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

George Papandreou has commented on Noonan's remarks, calling them 'flippant'. Hopefully they haven't been widely reported outside of Ireland. Noonan mightn't have said anything incorrect but regardless it's the wrong time for saying such things.

Papandreou has backed Merkel's call for a Greek referendum on the Euro. He might finally get his referendum after all!

He might finally get his referendum after all!

I'd bet the farm when he announced his referendum plans they were described as quite more than flippant around Europe ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 thorn in the side

I really like feta cheese - I use it in salads all the time.

Advertisement