Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noonan and Feta Cheese.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Noonan is only telling it how it is. He is perfectly correct in his statement though. Greece isn't a major trading partner for Ireland, and should they be ejected from the Euro, no one is going to miss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Noonan is only telling it how it is. He is perfectly correct in his statement though. Greece isn't a major trading partner for Ireland, and should they be ejected from the Euro, no one is going to miss them.

Quite illuminating but I disagree! Eject Greece from the Eurozone, no one will miss them? I dont think the financial markets who are the ultimate deciders will follow your logic.

Once Greece leaves the Euro, the attention will be shifted ( if it hasnt already) to other heavily indebted member states. Unless we want to be naive, the contagion effect of Greece or any member nation leaving the Euro will be catastrophic. There is talk of building a firewall to protect other countries but Germany is not ready to make any further financial commitments, their argument is that until other EZ nations sign up to the fiscal treaty, it is just like putting German tax payers money down to the drain to pay for pensions for a retired 50 year old Greek hair dresser. They are right to some extent but they seem to forget that:

(1) These rules should have been put in place before the economic monetary union? was set up, with a strict regulatory framework and with defined mechanisms for the enforcement of these rules. Germany broke the rules of the SGP before the current crisis and now they are making the rules as the crisis progresses and leaving no room for flexibility.

(2) A union is underpinned by symbiotic relationships. Germany has benefitted enormously from the Euro. As an export nation, it has successfully sold her products and services to other countries while having a competitve advantage. Germany cannot eat its cake and have it. During the boom years, they sold their products to Europe, while providing them cheap credit to purchase them-these products also includes military equipments supplied to Greece by the way. I am wondering where the efficient Bundesbank was at the time to warn, curb or control excessive spending?

I am not absolving Greece or any other struggling EZ nation of blame, far from it but the level of villification is breath taking. Greeks have been referred to as lazy only for us to find out they work more hours than Germans, French, Austrians and indeed Irish people.

France wants a change in direction, the Netherlands is advocating for a relaxation of the fiscal rules, Spain have openly declared that it cannot meet elements of a fiscal treaty they signed up to, the Italian workers unions are resisting change,the USA says they wont contribute a cent to the IMF to bail out Europe, Canada is even more critical and adamant suggesting that IMF funds should go to countries that actually need them, the BRIC countries are towing similar lines and China is patiently waiting in the wings to buy any state assets up for sale.

Don't you see this is greater than a Greek problem? Is it not time for a rethink of the current policy direction instead of the current blame game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Greece isn't a major trading partner for Ireland, and should they be ejected from the Euro, no one is going to miss them.

Charming attitude.Should ireland be ejected from the euro we wont be missed either so its a bit shortterm to take this approach to the country thats just slightly further down the road then we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I could well imagine the uproar here if one of the our other European partners said something similar about Ireland,We are in know position to be critising any other country and personally thing the remark was uncalled for and childless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We are living in the Troika glass house too, even if we are in better situation than Greece is right now.
    No time for Noonan to be throwing stones like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

jonsnow wrote: »
    Charming attitude.Should ireland be ejected from the euro we wont be missed either so its a bit shortterm to take this approach to the country thats just slightly further down the road then we are.

They're a bit more than "just slightly" down the road than us. Having damn all of an export economy, an inability to collect their taxes properly, a well developed ability to cook their books, wanting their cake and to eat it too (want to stay in the Euro, don't want to do what's necessary) and now with added political instability.

Oh, as well as causing huge instability within Europe to boot.

I can't see Ireland being ejected from the Euro, and I don't think we should leave it. In all discussion I've heard Ireland has been singled out as the one PIIGS country that has a chance of joining a "Northern Euro" if you will.

Right down the line, and I appreciate the situation for the Greek people now is not a good one, the Greeks have shown an attitude of almost hostility in their actions as a Euro member. They do not miss an opportunity to rock the boat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've just seen the (Feta Cheese) comment aired on The Week in Politics.

Poor enough form to come out with something like that in the first place, but the píss taking laughter that accompanied it was very ill advised.

Noonan (when representing Ireland of all places) is in no position to make light of the financial plight of other countries. Especially fellow EU member states.

I'd say our ambassador to Athens had his head in his hands when he saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

George Papandreou has commented on Noonan's remarks, calling them 'flippant'. Hopefully they haven't been widely reported outside of Ireland. Noonan mightn't have said anything incorrect but regardless it's the wrong time for saying such things.

Papandreou has backed Merkel's call for a Greek referendum on the Euro. He might finally get his referendum after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He might finally get his referendum after all!

I'd bet the farm when he announced his referendum plans they were described as quite more than flippant around Europe ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 thorn in the side

I really like feta cheese - I use it in salads all the time.

Advertisement