Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duck shooting from moving boat

• 01-09-2014 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Today on a midland lake. I watched as a firing party of 3 hunters opened fire on (and down) a duck from a moving outboard engine powered boat, travelling along reedbeds - is this legal ? I understood that the Wildlife Acts prohibited this form of hunting ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Today on a midland lake. I watched as a firing party of 3 hunters opened fire on (and down) a duck from a moving outboard engine powered boat, travelling along reedbeds - is this legal ? I understood that the Wildlife Acts prohibited this form of hunting ?

Seen the same thing happening this morning. As far as I know it's illegal. Spoke to a couple of lads that were shooting on Ree this morning. Said they seen lads shoot anything that moved, swallows,gulls, cormorants and even stared firing into the water at a fish they caught. Some lads why hunters get a bad name then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    Seen the same thing happening this morning. As far as I know it's illegal. Spoke to a couple of lads that were shooting on Ree this morning. Said they seen lads shoot anything that moved, swallows,gulls, cormorants and even stared firing into the water at a fish they caught. Some lads why hunters get a bad name then.

As i said on another post allready this is why I avoid the lakes for the first week or 2,Its full of idiots,half of which are full of hooch from the night before on the island and couldnt hit the lake in front of them.come October you hardly meet a soul out and those you do meet are normally the salt of the earth type people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Jimy1971 wrote: »

They're called w*nkers, every sport and past time has a few of them. They have no respect for their sport, their quarry, their countryside or their fellow hunters, best if these guys got pinched by the Rangers and had their guns confiscated. As the fella says come October there will be no sign of them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

They're called w*nkers, every sport and past time has a few of them. They have no respect for their sport, their quarry, their countryside or their fellow hunters, best if these guys got pinched by the Rangers and had their guns confiscated. As the fella says come October there will be no sign of them anyway.

Agreed ! As I said earlier. I came across 5 of them today in two boats, different areas of same lake, all 5 toting guns. Pity the gun clubs to which they belong ( unlikely that all 5 fowlers would not have gun club affiliations?) wouldn't enforce the regulations more stringently and turf out those who don't want to play by the rules - ignorance ( or plain disobedience) of the law is no excuse. If they have licences to carry guns, they should be aware of the wildlife laws, so that there's a level playing field for all who enjoy hunting, not to mention giving the wildfowl a sporting chance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

It would be a pretty poor GC that would have guys that go on like that as members.Personally I'd report them, if it was possible and you had a Rangers number and just give them a bell they could be got when they came off the lake and at least informed of the laws. BTW did many of ye bump into Rangers this morning on ye're travels?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Rarely ever see a ranger in these parts! I know the local ranger and sent a text later about what I had seen. The guys I seen Earlier were not known to me nor did I know where they had their vehicles parked up as there are numerous access points to the lake and river system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1976/en/act/pub/0039/sec0036.html#sec36

Above is sec 36 of the wildlife act of 76, this specific section relates to the use of mechanically propelled vehicles/vessels while hunting.

Below is sec 44 of the wildlife amendment act 2000, covering use of mechanically propelled vessel/vehicle for hunting. Amended to include electrical engines which are still classed as mechanically propelled. It amends sec 36 of the principle act of 76. I'll dig out that section now....and here it is.

It would seem that there's no mention of whether the engine is on or off at the time, just that it is a mechanically propelled vehicle by virtue of an engine being there. the onus to prove it isn't mechanically propelled at the time of use lies with the person being prosecuted. (Read that further in the 2000 act.) Of course thats just my reading of it, or my interpretation anyway.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0038/sec0044.html#sec44

Advertisement