Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

It was written by the same person who wrote Rosberg's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oblomov wrote: »
    Written by Lewis? or prompted?

Hamilton in PR terms can be a walking disaster. He's not exempt from the PR game, as your quote demonstrates...but if you wanna talk about PR robots, have a look at his team mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SamAK wrote: »
    How do they know this? Is it now mathematically impossible for the Honey Badger to close the gap to Rosberg? Riccardio is 64 points adrift at the moment, but there are seven races left to run and 200 points on the table. As we've seen so far, the Mercs are undoubtedly the fastest team by a fair bit, but they are by no means untouchable.
    Honey badger? :rolleyes:
    let's get things straight, Nick Cummins is the honey badger cos he's mental and just doesn't give a ****. Ricciardo is a big smiley, goofy guy and in no way deserves such a nick name.
    I find it strange that Sky would even dare to guess who's going to win when we're barely past the halfway point of this season.
    it's all just part of the game they play to sell TV

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/blog/alan-henry/double-points-or-quits/

interest piece on some of the stupid terms throw around in F1 and it's total lack of touch with the average punter.
    Speedwing FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hamilton in PR terms can be a walking disaster. He's not exempt from the PR game, as your quote demonstrates...but if you wanna talk about PR robots, have a look at his team mate.
    PR Robot or someone who respects the folk who pay his wage? I have more respect for the robot than the slack-jaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

What a stupid article. Considering how exciting this season is why is he even bothering with such nonsense. F1 doesn't need an overhaul. If terms like DRS, primes and options are confusing how will the average person follow his convoluted suggestions. Qualifying and the race itself are as straightforward as could be. Interesting he brings cricket into it, yeah it's played in three formats and the fundamentals are the same but it's like comparing different series in motorsport each one is so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/blog/alan-henry/double-points-or-quits/

interest piece on some of the stupid terms throw around in F1 and it's total lack of touch with the average punter.
    Speedwing FTW

Bitta craic

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/heritage/which-f1-driver-are-you/

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    PR Robot or someone who respects the folk who pay his wage? I have more respect for the robot than the slack-jaw.

Like everything it's personal tastes really. I like the people I watch on tv to be real, & I'll take the good with the bad, rather than someone who worries they might deviate from their script by being honest. The first & last words from Lewis are usually the fans & his mechanics, I like that, what can I say :)
    Shane_ef wrote: »

Alain Prost :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Like everything it's personal tastes really. I like the people I watch on tv to be real, & I'll take the good with the bad, rather than someone who worries they might deviate from their script by being honest. The first & last words from Lewis are usually the fans & his mechanics, I like that, what can I say :)

I think that's his attempt to be a team man. It seems to be the only thing he can remember to keep pumping out amid all his media f ups.
    His real feeling on his mechanics comes out mid race when things don't quite go right. He plays the blame game straight away. Stuff like asking over the radio who made the decision to stop at a certain point or I can't believe you brought me in etc.

This:
    mickdw wrote: »
    I think that's his attempt to be a team man. It seems to be the only thing he can remember to keep pumping out amid all his media f ups.
    His real feeling on his mechanics comes out mid race when things don't quite go right. He plays the blame game straight away. Stuff like asking over the radio who made the decision to stop at a certain point or I can't believe you brought me in etc.
    I'd agree with Myrddin if I thought it was genuine, but I don't believe it is. Which is the main basis behind me not liking him. No one knows for sure, but sure opinions based on observations is all we fans at the low end have!!

• Advertisement

Alain Prost :o
    I got Ayrton Senna... no wonder we can't see eye-to-eye! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

I got Hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Ahem, this is what deliberate crashing looks like. Imagine if Rosberg and Hamilton started doing this. Then we'd have a sh1t-storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ahem, this is what deliberate crashing looks like. Imagine if Rosberg and Hamilton started doing this. Then we'd have a sh1t-storm.
    They can get away with that kind of stuff with those cars though. The only reason F1 isn't a contact style of racing is because the car explodes if it touches anything.

Fair points, but not altogether how I see it. F1 drivers are competitive animals (well except Chilton maybe :pac:), & I'd allow for a lot of 'heat of the moment' type stuff when a driver is mid race, more so when fighting for a title. Yes he can berate the team somewhat, I always find that's frustration directed at the strategist though, & not the mechanics that look after his car. I'm not convinced he plays a lot of games when it comes to blame, more often than not I find he's overly hard on himself, & not the team. But yeah, case in point is this...at least we're talking about him, at least there's debate there, & at least if you love him or hate him...there's never a dull moment. That's why I like him, I like when personality shines through over a need to protect brand image, or corporate policy. People who are rigid about those things (politicians for example almost always give pre-written scripted, white noise type replies to questions), are just uninteresting & bland to me. I've no interest in hearing what a PR officer thinks should be said, I want to hear emotion & real feelings, be they good or bad.
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I got Ayrton Senna... no wonder we can't see eye-to-eye! :D

Oooh, that's it...you & me, Suzuka, turn 1...now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

slightly annoying quiz
    I got ALAIN PROST

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I got Alain Prost But I'm female :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Funny stuff from Max Verstappen, video at the bottom of article

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9451596/Verstappen-crashes-during-demo-run

I don't know how he managed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Combination of two things I would say. Embarrassed that he need to be pushed in the first place and then to make up for it, sunk the boot and there was no heat in the brakes. Car would not stop and into the barrier he went...

He is to young for F1 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I got Alain Prost. At least I got someone with the same name as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Hasn't spent enough time in a field with his mums old Saxo.

logik wrote: »
    Combination of two things I would say. Embarrassed that he need to be pushed in the first place and then to make up for it, sunk the boot and there was no heat in the brakes. Car would not stop and into the barrier he went...

He is to young for F1 I think.
    I can't see that its anything to do with the brakes being cold. He seemed to role on idle or possibly drove on idle into the barrier. Maybe couldn't pull the clutch for some reason.
    I guess when not used to these cars, they are sufficiently different to everything else that these type of mistakes can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Hasn't spent enough time in a field with his mums old Saxo.

I think in his case it would be his dad's old Arrows. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

F1 cars are actually hard to drive, especially in tight spaces like that. We've seen plenty of drivers do the same thing, those cars are designed for a race track. Take them outside of that arena and you're going to have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I like the planetf1 site; but it was a Toro Rosso he crashed, not a Red Bull as stated in the article!!

(Sometimes I wish I wasn't so pedantic :()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

I like the planetf1 site; but it was a Toro Rosso he crashed, not a Red Bull as stated in the article!!

(Sometimes I wish I wasn't so pedantic :()

pretty sure its an RB8 in tr livery

F1_GP_China_045.jpg

ricciardo+toro+rosso+2012+jerez+setbyspeed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Monza this weekend, if only it were going to sound like this...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Grim. wrote: »
    pretty sure its an RB8 in tr livery

F1_GP_China_045.jpg

ricciardo+toro+rosso+2012+jerez+setbyspeed.jpg

Judging by the pictures you've shown, the car Verstappen definitely drove has the Toro Rosso nose and definitely does not have the Red Bull rear wing.
    md06za.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The nose looks like it has the vent and side supports of the RB. The the nose itself droops away like the RB.

Advertisement