Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow off trail

Options
  • 01-09-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, another hike I want to plan is in the Wicklow Mountains, I want to walk from Lugalla (Fancy Mountain) to Kanturk (Brown Mountain) via/crossing Knocknacloghoge but their is no trail. So I need to figure that one out. And thats my question, is it possible or safe to walk without a trail? There might be a trail, but maybe not registered on Google Maps. I need to check my own maps at home. (Should have done that, before posting here, lol :D )

I want to walk these mountains because they fascinate me, the beautiful views, and I really want to get to know the Wicklow Mountains. Off trail is new to me, but I assume it is possible and doable on a clear day.

Any sound advice for me?

Thanks
    Ron

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thats helpful, thanks Ducky Sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Poncke wrote: »
    And thats my question, is it possible or safe to walk without a trail? There might be a trail, but maybe not registered on Google Maps. I need to check my own maps at home. (Should have done that, before posting here, lol :D )

I want to walk these mountains because they fascinate me, the beautiful views, and I really want to get to know the Wicklow Mountains. Off trail is new to me, but I assume it is possible and doable on a clear day.
    Absolutely it's safe, if you know what you're doing. There are few signposted trails in Ireland, and most walking is done with map and compass/gps in hand, often following a rudimentary trail that has been walked into the landscape.

If you want to go off-trail, I would suggest:
    1. Consider joining a hiking club. You can then be part of a larger group and be shown some of the more popular routes
    2. Get basic navigation skills e.g. MCI Mountain Skills course.
    http://www.mountaineering.ie/TrainingAndSafety/ClubTrainingAndMountainSkills/MountainSkillsTraining/default.aspx

You can go from Lugalla to Kanturk, but it wouldn't be one of the easier routes. The Inchavore river is crossable with care up by the forest, and from there it would be easiest to work back around to the East via the track/road. A clear track then leads up the Eastern spur of the Kanturks, crossing a stile.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Hmmmm, that is good advice. :) I have been hiking for about 6 months, and bought plenty of good gear. So I will be prepared, but that course is a good idea. And I like the idea of joining a hiking club, so I will look into that as well.

Great stuff, and thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the river is not in spate, you can cross at Glen Mhuire,
    the copse of Deciduous trees here

I'd then either head back towards Lough Dan and take the trail up to the top, before setting off right to the Kanturks,

Or try fight up one of the ride lines in the conifer forestry to get to the open mountain below the Kanturks

• Advertisement
Advertisement