Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google accounts - aaagh

Options
  • 09-06-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Can someone please help unmelt my head with regard to google accounts & android please?

I set up a new phone for #2 son yesterday - I went into settings.accounts and added his Google account which is in the form number2son@zag.ie. As expected his contacts and stuff just appeared as if by magic. This was good.

Today I wiped the old phone belonging to #1 son - I went into settings.accounts and tried to add his Google account which is in the form number1son@zag.ie but it complained that "number1son@zag.ie is not a gmail account". I know it's not a gmail account, but it is a Google account. I can log into Google with it.

I tried adding #2 sons account (which worked on the other phone) but it hit the same issue - telling me this isn't a gmail account.

Is this something the phone manufacturers can decide themselves or should I be able to add any Google account to any Android device? Or is it a feature of old Android versions. The problem phone is a Samsung GT-S5369 running Android 2.3.6.

z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

so #2 son account is working on 1 phone and not the other and #1 son account is not working on either phone?
    both are non gmail accounts but they are google accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

zagmund wrote: »
    I know it's not a gmail account, but it is a Google account.

Ya wa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Almost correct - I didn't try #2 son on the new phone because it's not his phone.

I've (just as you were posting) worked out a partial work around - for *whatever* reason it wants to have a gmail.com account loaded up first, so I added in one that I don't use much. Then I added #1 sons Google account (the one which failed to add when I tried it first) and it accepted it.

It looks like the phone/software was set up to only accept a gmail.com account first, but after that it will accept anything. It looks like it will allow me to remove the gmail.com account too, so that's what I will probably do once it has operated OK for a day or two.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

@sentient_6

you can use a non gmail email address as your google account. you dont get a gmail inbox but you get access to their other services like the play store etc.

you can also use google apps (google.com/a) to use your own domain with the standard gmail interface meaning your login wouldnt be @gmail.com

@zagmund

last time i had this problem i setup a dummy gmail account and used that. then it let me add non @gmail.com addresses to my phone

this issue seems to be fixed in later android versions

-- edit -- you posted at the same time as me!

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Ya wa?

Different things. Go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp and click on "I prefer to use my current email address."

Fight the power.

z

• Advertisement

Thanks 99 - it looks to have done the trick.

z

user99 wrote: »
    @sentient_6

you can use a non gmail email address as your google account. you dont get a gmail inbox but you get access to their other services like the play store etc.

you can also use google apps (google.com/a) to use your own domain with the standard gmail interface meaning your login wouldnt be @gmail.com

@zagmund

last time i had this problem i setup a dummy gmail account and used that. then it let me add non @gmail.com addresses to my phone

this issue seems to be fixed in later android versions

-- edit -- you posted at the same time as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

zagmund wrote: »
    Different things. Go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp and click on "I prefer to use my current email address."

Fight the power.

z

Ah right didn't know that.

Advertisement