Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resetting Unrooted Galaxy S3

• 03-01-2013 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice here. Have an S3 that is pretty lagtastic. Was waiting over 10 seconds today for the keyboard to appear so it's time to do something about it.
    I've read that a reset is recommended after an update but I have never done that. So I'm willing to give it a go.

I would like to keep everything I have. Messages and contacts of course. Apps and data if possible. Pictures etc.
    I know there are some backup apps out there and think I have read that some of the better ones only work on a rooted phone.

Had no intention of rooting so what do the experts recommend? Is it easily reset and backed up in it's unrooted state?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Pj! wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice here. Have an S3 that is pretty lagtastic. Was waiting over 10 seconds today for the keyboard to appear so it's time to do something about it.
    I've read that a reset is recommended after an update but I have never done that. So I'm willing to give it a go.

I would like to keep everything I have. Messages and contacts of course. Apps and data if possible. Pictures etc.
    I know there are some backup apps out there and think I have read that some of the better ones only work on a rooted phone.

Had no intention of rooting so what do the experts recommend? Is it easily reset and backed up in it's unrooted state?

Download Samsung Kies on your PC/laptop. Back up your phone data/apps/photo/music on yr laptop and then reset yr phone. No need for any root. Its easy.

To reset the phone i think you can do via Kies or with phone directly.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

KIES only works sometimes for me. Current version doesn't seem to open at all.

Does KIES backup app data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if you change your mind and root...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1987032

reduce lag by 90%

also app save data will not be saved so you will lose your angry birds progress for example.

Titanium backup can back this up but it might need root

Downloaded KIES again and got it opened. On my fourth time to try and backup. Errors every time.

edit: KIES is just an awful bit of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Pj! wrote: »
    Downloaded KIES again and got it opened. On my fourth time to try and backup. Errors every time.

edit: KIES is just an awful bit of kit

agreed its woeful i stopped using it and just use other backup my stuff

• Advertisement

Well I got there. Didn't root. Backed up with KIES. Apps wouldn't backup but there's no great need really. Reinstalling them now.

Kept everything as far as I know. Except some saved dates from the calendar, which is a bit annoying. Some birthdays and things.
    But I backed up with both KIES and My Backup Pro so maybe I'll be able to get them back??

Was worried about the data on two apps but managed to keep both.

I really should have done that a long time ago. Phone is flying again. Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: The calendar and all events are still available from google. Which is handy as I can fill it in on the phone. Not sure why they didn't all sync though!?

Advertisement