Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google blocks Android movie rentals from rooted devices

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:47pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not really a surprise, but still disappointing to see the way Android as an OS is heading.

Google, which often touts the "openness" of its Android mobile operating system as one of its primary benefits, is blocking access to its new Android movie rental service to rooted Android devices. Google blames "requirements related to copyright protection" for the move, and this isn't the first time DRM has caused problems for consumers. But it serves as yet another example that Android's openness only extends as far as it benefits Google.

As many Ars readers know, users often "root" Android-based smartphones and tablets to extend their functionality. In Linux-based systems like Android, there is typically a "root" super-user account that has heightened administrative privileges and unfettered access to the operating system. By enabling the root account, users can introduce software components that have been extracted from other Android devices, modify the user interface, and more. It also allows them to install Android updates that device makers haven't gotten around to making available in a timely manner.

In most cases, rooting still allows users access to Google's services, including the Android Market. However, Google is restricting access to its YouTube-powered movie rental service to non-rooted devices. Users with rooted devices attempting to watch Android rentals will get an "Error 49" message, noting that their device was unable to "fetch license for movie."

Google's support documents state that DRM is to blame. "You'll receive this 'Error 49' message if you attempt to play a movie on a rooted device," according to Google's related support article. "Rooted devices are currently unsupported due to requirements related to copyright protection."

The restriction is seen as yet another slap in the face to users who have bought in to Google's claims that the Android platform is superior other mobile platforms because of its "openness."

"Nice move, Google," wrote AndroidCentral's Jerry Hillenbrand. "That makes me want to buy more of your products and use more of your services, so I can be treated like a criminal just because I'm smart enough to get rid of CityID, or want a safe version of Android on my phone."

It's almost certain that content providers required Google to lock down movie rentals to un-rooted devices—Apple, Netflix, Amazon, and others face similar burdens. But locking out all rooted devices seems an odd move, considering that Android was originally touted as a platform that gives uses control, as opposed to platforms like iOS that allow few user modifications.

Given the recent decision to hold back the source code for Honeycomb, and the revelation that Google uses its Android licensing terms as "a club" to make device makers "do what we want," this latest move serves to illustrate that Android may not be as open as Google would like its users to believe.

Ars Technica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

While I agree that it's a bad sign for how the platform is heading, I personally wouldn't be renting a movie to watch on a 4" screen anyway - especially when you could just copy it over anyway from a laptop/pc if you were that way inclined - and unless it caches locally over wireless, it'd take forever anyway with the state of 3G coverage outside the major towns/cities.

As much as I love my DHD, I've also been watching how Windows Phone 7 is progressing (time for a seperate forum maybe?) and I'll be weighing up the latest versions for my next upgrade around Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    While I agree that it's a bad sign for how the platform is heading, I personally wouldn't be renting a movie to watch on a 4" screen anyway - especially when you could just copy it over anyway from a laptop/pc if you were that way inclined - and unless it caches locally over wireless, it'd take forever anyway with the state of 3G coverage outside the major towns/cities.

As much as I love my DHD, I've also been watching how Windows Phone 7 is progressing (time for a seperate forum maybe?) and I'll be weighing up the latest versions for my next upgrade around Christmas...

Probably won't affect me directly but I wonder if this is a sign that Android is moving away from being the tinkerers phone of choice.

HTC locking bootloaders and now google punishing rooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Noob question but can you "unroot"?

I noticed it as an option on the rooting app that I used, but I wasnt sure if it was as simple as just pressing "unroot". If it is ,its not a big deal that google would block movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

hardCopy wrote: »
    Probably won't affect me directly but I wonder if this is a sign that Android is moving away from being the tinkerers phone of choice.

HTC locking bootloaders and now google punishing rooters.

No, Android is still open source, it will always be tinkered with.

This is a DRM/Film studio issue, not Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This is a DRM/Film studio issue, not Android.

Exactly. Because of the openness of android I'd never used a movie rental service anyway when you can get bittorrent clients and decent video players from the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

As Kaiser pointed out I would have no interest in watching a paid for movie on my tiny screen. If Android implemented something like AirPlay where I can rent the movie on my phone but they stream it to something like my PC or TV then I may consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Exactly. Because of the openness of android I'd never used a movie rental service anyway when you can get bittorrent clients and decent video players from the market.

Some Android devices have HDMI out ;)

Netflix is killing bittorrent in the USA:
    http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-is-killing-bittorrent-in-the-us-110427/
    The studios have woken up to this, which is why there are more legit streaming options cropping up. They continue their crusade against piracy:
    http://torrentfreak.com/hurt-locker-makers-target-record-breaking-24583-bittorrent-users-110523/

For some one in the USA, to bittorrent is pants on head stupid when a $7.99 a month subscription to Netflix gives you access to unlimited legit movie streaming per month, on many devices, in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

People will do anything to attack the openness of Android, what would you do if you were Google? Offer the service open where people can infringe and break copyright easily leading to multiple lawsuits against you or block it so that your back is covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Offtopic, but are there any comparable services in Ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Gryzor wrote: »
    Offtopic, but are there any comparable services in Ireland??

Not yet. Netflix in UK supposedly coming soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement