Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Platform11 and Rock and Roll

• 10-12-2008 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I was looking around the P11 forum lookinf for into on the 2009 timetable and came across this thead in relation to the new 02 Arena and some posters made excellent points about Irish Rail taking advantage of it.

I nearly hit the floor when I read this post by Mark Gleeson.
    It would appear that the promoters need manage their events better to ensure the end time of the concert is actually as expected.

I could just see Lemmy from Motorhead going. "Alright one more encore for you crazy muthas! Oh wait the train is nearly leaving. Sorry".

What version of reality does Mr Gleeson actually exist in.

MODS: Ban me now in order to save my sanity please. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Just read the post after you flagged it. Incredible really. Im embarrased by it as a member. But then thats how things are going over there. You have a railway operator that ignores ingenuity and a lobby that is so out of touch with rail customers, it sounds like an automated answering machine.

Personally, as a founding member, Im thinking of jacking in my membership at this stage. Its become a joke. There's more reality on IRN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There is times when RUI/P11 legitimately appears to be about Mark Gleeson being convinced that he can do it better than other transport companies and it's comments like that just prove it and turn people off RUI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The IR handbook states that drivers will not have to stay up past their bed time.*

* Please note the context of this conversation before flaming me. :D

Hamndegger wrote: »
    There is times when RUI/P11 legitimately appears to be about Mark Gleeson being convinced that he can do it better than other transport companies and it's comments like that just prove it and turn people off RUI.

Indeed. At this stage it appears that the whole gig is about how Mark could run a railway better and not about the core value of actually outlining infrastructural shortcomings and tackling poor customer service areas in a manner that engages users/customers.

In fairness, I often vehemently defended the organisation here when I represented it, but I cannot honestly say that I would be prepared to defend the current set up. Its unfortunate after the hard work put in by people that have long since departed. Good, honest people who cared and tried to change things and weren't about showboating their knowledge. It was never perfect, (nor was I) but it used to be blunt and all about helping joe soap. It wasn't a bad starting point. I think the whole thing should be wound up now or rebranded, www.markgleeson.com A new approach drawing on original values is badly needed. But I doubt they have the ability. Gleeson won't let them and they are all in awe at his knowledge. Ironically your everyday rail user couldn't give a toss.

For the record, it was me that afforded Mr. Gleeson the opportunity to be more involved by opening up the organisation. I did that in the interests of accountability. But it just shows you how a good act can generate an opposite reaction. Its like a political party over there now.

But hey, Ive still got lots of miles left in the tank. Who knows?:D

paulm17781 wrote: »
    The IR handbook states that drivers will not have to stay up past their bed time.*

* Please note the context of this conversation before flaming me. :D

I'll defend you on that score anyday Paul.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

OP - was thinking the same when I read that today.

Gas carry on altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

MODS: Ban me now in order to save my sanity please. Thanks.
    :D:D:D

What? You reckon you wouldn't come back with yet another identity?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

It would make sense to make sure there was a luas service after concerts in the point - either by running a late luas shuttle into town or by setting the concert licence terms to shut before the tram stops running.

If the guys who started platform 11 don't like the people who took over after they left then why don't they start platform 12 or something? I don't think anyone wants anything to do with an organisation thats mired in bitch fights about nothing.

edit: Lemmy is 63.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

well feckit lads sometimes a five year old could do better than IE at some things.

If you want to be a railfan who works the system you use the IRN model as in Nenagh (a service improvement best described as a curate's egg) or you go the "you're selling a service so I want value for money" approach of P11 which gets derided by IE PR but the demanded service they say isn't possible gets introduced a few weeks later.

In this case I think Mark G lost the run of himself a bit but it just points up for me that modern cities operate later and it's time for transit to adjust to that reality all year round and not just at Christmas.

If Dublin had a unified transit authority with either unitary operation or franchising, buses would simply replace LUAS and DART on the same route at nights using the same fare structure but instead we have DB, DART and LUAS in "competition". Thanks, PDs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Okay.

Here is the short and sweet version. I am closing this thread now; no hour of respite while you sort yourselves out, closed now.

Here is the longer version: I do not give one toss what internal politics are playing out, what personal differences there are over on Rail Users Ireland and its forum. I will not, however, have those differences brought over here and fought out over here.

So look on this as a simple warning:

If I see another thread bringing up the differences y'all have with one another in RUI land or with other people who don't post here, there will not be infractions, but bans and they will not be short bans. You are escaping infractions now because I believe in issuing a warning before I issue bans.

Arguments from other fora/organisations do not belong on this board and will not be tolerated. I am serious about this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement