Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreign car insurance

Options
  • 02-01-2006 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Anyone noticed the very large number of foreign cars on our roads and mostly from latvia,poland etc.
    I have never seen an insurance disc, motor tax disc or n c t disc on these cars. How do we know that these drivers are actually insured. There is a story that their country of origin has then insured but how do we know the person driving is the insured!?
    Also I notice that these cars are getting bigger and better in recent times !

I look forward to any comments

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's been done to death. Since you are new here you may not be aware of the search button over there -->

I'd suggest changing the law so that all cars would have to show a disk. If they did not have a disk from their own country then on production of a valid foreign insurance cert then we would issue them one with their details on it for a tenner or so (gotta fleece the tourists)

AFAIK most Irish insurance only covers 30 days outside the country, but it is possible to get longer terms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

oh oh.. I can see youve had this one up to your teeth.
    'tis a topic to heat up the blood .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

German , Polish, Eastern Eurpean Countries don't generally have the same insurance disks as us. For example in Germany they are part of the reg plate. If a car has a reg plate there it means they have paid their tax and insurance.

Advertisement