Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone LEFT IN TAXI SAT NIGHT 25th may

Options
  • 27-05-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Help,- left my iPhone 4s (black with cracked back) in a taxi on Saturday night. Will be ringing taxi companies tomorrow to see but I presume a lot of taxis are independent and don't work for a company. The driver was of African origin. The fare was from bridge st to clybaun knocknacarra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm just gonna nip in here pre-emptively, as threads like these can often go off topic quickly.

Only post if you have helpful advice or information that could help the OP get their phone back.

There's a list of Galway city taxi companies here that might be a good start if you're ringing around tomorrow.

Is the phone turned off, or do you have anything like 'Find My iPhone' activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Thanks redhairedguy, yes the phone is off. It does have the find my iPhone app but needs to be turned on I believe for this to work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

The phone needs to be turned on but, I don't want to burst your bubble here, the Find My iPhone app is easilly thwarted by plugging the phone into iTunes, turning it on and setting it up as a new iPhone. Yes, you're data isn't open to prying eyes but you don't get your phone back either. I hope you have a happy outcome.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Why are you leaving it til tomorrow to get phoning around?

Get straight on it.

EDIT -- Oh I see this was posted at 1am. Sorry. :)

Have you phoned the garda station to see if it's been handed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

It may be worth your while walking the ranks tonight to see if you can spot the taxi ! As no drivers of African origin work for any of the Galway taxi companies. Also you should check with mill street ! Do you have your imei number ?

• Advertisement

Checked with mill street and salt hill gardai but no joy. Went down to the rank aswell and spoke to a nice African taxi driver. I explained the story to him and he was to forward it via a txt service they use among themselves. Have rang all th companies in the golden pages too.
    The phone has not been turned on according to the iPhone tracker. I don't want to freeze it just yet in case it turns up

Latest is that the phone was used a few times on Sunday and once yesterday all to the same number-a British mobile. I've since locked the sim. That's the end of my hopes that the driver was an honest guy and I might get the phone back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Lambasted wrote: »
    Latest is that the phone was used a few times on Sunday and once yesterday all to the same number-a British mobile. I've since locked the sim. That's the end of my hopes that the driver was an honest guy and I might get the phone back.

For all you know the next fare he took could have picked it up from where you dropped it. In fact that's probably more likely as a driver doesn't check the seats after every single fare.

Looks like it's gone alright. I'm pretty sure you can disable the handset too if you have the correct identifier number.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

A good driver should take a quick glance at the back seat after a passenger(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sorry to hear that OP. It's a brave new world that we're all walking around with €300 in our pockets (more or less). As you can't do anything about it, hopefully this gives you an excuse for an upgrade!

• Advertisement

I Was in the front seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Lambasted wrote: »
    I Was in the front seat!

I've dropped my phone getting out of a taxi. Was sure it was in the front seat. It was found on the ground, I was lucky, it must have fallen out as I got out. You never know. Sorry you lost it op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

OP check with the gardai at Mill Street station, you may have to visit them as they don't answer some questions over the phone.

Drivers, as far as I know, are encouraged to hand in missing property to the gardai, they may sometimes keep it in the dispatchers office if they are in a firm.

Good luck.

Advertisement