Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 and 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Any word on what retailers are going to be selling the phone in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

Sorry if this has been answered already but does the Nexus 4 take a micro sim? I can't see any mention of sim size on the Play page.

Yes it uses a micro sim like the iPhone 4/4S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

3bs wrote: »

Yes it uses a micro sim like the iPhone 4/4S.

Thanks, my network will give me a new one for free so I'll get on to them once mine has been shipped. <rubs hands with glee>

Thanks, my network will give me a new one for free so I'll get on to them once mine has been shipped. <rubs hands with glee>

Ah yeah the sim card won't be an issue, it's getting the phone that might be. Where do you plan on getting yours from?

Edit: this is a site I often visit for specs on phones and here's the page for the Nexus 4 in case you want to look up something else http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_4_e960-5048.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Ah yeah the sim card won't be an issue, it's getting the phone that might be. Where do you plan on getting yours from?

I'm in Australia so I can buy one straight from the play store when it's released next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 indy77

solution 'how to order nexus to ireland'

1. to make an order use some tuneling program (recomended http://www.tunnelbear.com/ - extremaly easy to use :) )
    2. register at https://www.parcelmotel.com/ , you can use their delivery address in northen ireland, and collect it in ROI. (using this i was able to order Kindle Paperwhite from amazon, normaly for UK market only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

indy77 wrote: »
    solution 'how to order nexus to ireland'

1. to make an order use some tuneling program (recomended http://www.tunnelbear.com/ - extremaly easy to use :) )
    2. register at https://www.parcelmotel.com/ , you can use their delivery address in northen ireland, and collect it in ROI. (using this i was able to order Kindle Paperwhite from amazon, normaly for UK market only)

Unless I'm mistaken what you've posted there is the easy part. Whenever I've tried to order anything like this off the Play Store before they said I needed a card with a UK billing address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nolimits wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken what you've posted there is the easy part. Whenever I've tried to order anything like this off the Play Store before they said I needed a card with a UK billing address.

Are you guys in Ireland also unable to purchase apps/books/movies/etc from the store?

Google really needs to sort that out.

@Nolimits

you are right, I dint' noticed that Play Store requires UK billing address. Amazon doesn't, and of course doesn't needs tunnelbear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joshhbk

Okay so doing a TunnelBear test run last night, I went to the UK Play Store on my computer and went to order a game. I have a friend of mine in the UK who's letting me ship the phone to him and send it on to me. At first because I had an Irish address linked to my card and as my delivery address on the Play Store it wouldn't let me deliver - so I changed both and it seemed fine with that, let me proceed with the order and I got the game for 69p. However, at the same time I went to download the Google Wallet app and it refused to let me have it. Are we thinking that there are no blocks on ordering stuff that would be available in your region anyway (i.e. games that are out everywhere) but that it would be different if I attempted to start ordering books, songs, movies, devices and the like? Anybody want to buy a Nexus 7 off them and see what happens? ;)

• Advertisement

@Nolimits

I checked it again and I was able to order some movie from Play Store. I only reentered my credit card details and fake postal code (M1 1AA). I did't try to order nexus yet, because I'm waiting for some nice offer on bill pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

indy77 wrote: »
    @Nolimits

I checked it again and I was able to order some movie from Play Store. I only reentered my credit card details and fake postal code (M1 1AA). I did't try to order nexus yet, because I'm waiting for some nice offer on bill pay.

The problem would come after you click order, at that stage the Play store would try to take money from your credit card, who may refuse to give it if the billing address is wrong.

I've posted this here before, but my credit card company said I could set up a temporary change of address to a UK address, I told the person on the phone what it was for and they said it would be no problem and would work.

Nolimits wrote: »
    The problem would come after you click order, at that stage the Play store would try to take money from your credit card, who may refuse to give it if the billing address is wrong.

I've posted this here before, but my credit card company said I could set up a temporary change of address to a UK address, I told the person on the phone what it was for and they said it would be no problem and would work.

there was no problem with ordering movie. i bought it, i saw a fiew minutes (using tunellbear). I also asked for a refund and I got it. I dont know how it's will be with material item but I think that it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 conorb610

Phones Online have it listed as coming soon but no price.
    Does anyone know if they are trustworthy or not?

http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1095

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

conorb610 wrote: »
    Phones Online have it listed as coming soon but no price.
    Does anyone know if they are trustworthy or not?

http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1095

I bought a phone from them a couple of years back. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hardybucks

No micro SD is annoying alright, but Box are giving 50GB free lifetime storage to new LG purchases
    Anyone know if Box is as good/reliable as Dropbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

So what would be the easiest way to get it unlocked? I'm looking for the 16GB version and I don't have any relatives in the US or UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

Anyone know if this will be sold in any of the uk stores sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

hardybucks wrote: »
    No micro SD is annoying alright, but Box are giving 50GB free lifetime storage to new LG purchases
    Anyone know if Box is as good/reliable as Dropbox?

I got a 50GB box.com (box.net at the time) account with my Touchpad and it's great. At the time they didn't have desktop synching software with the free account but I think they added that recently. I use it more for backing up large files (vs. using dropbox for day-to-day documents, etc.) so haven't tried the new synching software so can't comment on it. It's always worked perfectly with Android though. Most filemanger apps support it.

I wonder could I get an extra 50GB on top of what I already have :D

• Advertisement

So what would be the easiest way to get it unlocked? I'm looking for the 16GB version and I don't have any relatives in the US or UK.

Pre-ordred mine from handtec. I'll report back once I get mine whenever that is. I was told I should find out when they'll be delivering them by the end of this week.

Would seem to cost: 443.356 EUR from handtec, roughly, to get the nexus 4 delivered to Ireland. Whilst still a good price, it's a similar price to what the s3 could be picked up for on amazon.

mrqpr wrote: »
    Would seem to cost: 443.356 EUR from handtec, roughly, to get the nexus 4 delivered to Ireland. Whilst still a good price, it's a similar price to what the s3 could be picked up for on amazon.

Yes you're right. I already have an S3 though and people who go for a Nexus know what they're getting and are willing to compromise in this case storage and removable battery.

I agree with what you are saying that nexus owners know what they are getting, and some of the performance stats are testament to what looks like an excellent phone, however, my point was that the S3 was supposed to be nearly twice the price of the nexus. The price we end up paying here in Ireland is nowhere near the value available elsewhere. No google play store for us :(

If the phone could be purchased for anything under 400 EUR, bearing in mind its almost a loss leader for google, it would be an essential purchase. I believe nexus devices are the way to go because of the OS updates keep the phone relevant and also the lack of custom skins, i feel, keeps the phone's performance much faster.

I agree with what you are saying that nexus owners know what they are getting, and some of the performance stats are testament to what looks like an excellent phone, however, my point was that the S3 was supposed to be nearly twice the price of the nexus. The price we end up paying here in Ireland is nowhere near the value available elsewhere. No google play store for us :(

If the phone could be purchased for anything under 400 EUR, bearing in mind its almost a loss leader for google, it would be an essential purchase. I believe nexus devices are the way to go because of the OS updates keep the phone relevant and also the lack of custom skins, i feel, keeps the phone's performance much faster.

Trust me I'm as upset as you are but I really want this phone so I got it.

The situation is similar in other countries like Italy, Austria and Spain where LG is forcing stores to sell the phone for €600 I think.

It's still a very good price in comparison to other handsets sporting the same sort of hardware. Good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

I'm in a bit of a conundrum, I'm going to be getting my first android phone before xmas for myself. I'm going to be buying sim free and I'm struggling to pick between the Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S3 and this the Nexus 4.

Its just I'm really wondering if the Nexus 4 is worth it over a S3 considering the Lack of SD card and the back being made of glass.

From browsing the web repeatedly It looks like the cheapest option for the S3/Note 2 is amazon.de and maybe handtec for the nexus 4, i'm going to wait a month or so to hear if there's any bad reports with the Nexus 4 before deciding.

If there's any trade offs that I haven't noticed could someone point them out to me, I'd like to have my android experience as close to stock as possible and I wouldn't have a problem with rooting a device to achieve that. Whether or not the stock android is worth having a much more fragile phone I'm not sure.

There may well be a 32GB nexus 4, that's what i'd buy as on board storage is very important despite what people say about sd cards not being important, or cloud storage, which is no use when you roam with the network i'm on!!. Any sort of recorded video or large apps will eat the 11GB or so that will be available on the 16GB model.

It's well worth going with Nexus as you'll get clean google interface that's fast and updated first. The s2 I have was excellent but lacking in the update department. Not an issue with nexus.

It's way cheaper than the other big players and on sim free it will save a tonne of cash.

Any sort of recorded video or large apps will eat the 11GB or so that will be available on the 16GB model

But if i'm not using it for music or watching videos and just taking the odd picture/short video would the 8GB be enough for day to day use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

mrmeindl wrote: »
    But if i'm not using it for music or watching videos and just taking the odd picture/short video would the 8GB be enough for day to day use?

Sounds like itd be enough for you.. but 8gb really isnt that much. If you Have a few large apps like big games such as fifa or grand theft auto the memory would be gone.

But if your just taking a few photos and videos, and transfer them to your computer when they build up..your probably fine.

Ill be getting the 16gb one and will be reverting to my sansa clip for music.. just wont be space on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nexus 4 isn't being released here tomorrow. They have no date set for release either :(

http://www.thescore.ie/google%E2%80%99s-nexus-4-launched-not-ireland-671741-Nov2012/
    THE NEW GOOGLE Nexus 4 smartphone has gone on sale but not in Ireland.
    The countries that it is being released in include Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada, the UK and the US.
    When the TheJournal.ie contacted a spokesperson for Google they said there is “no date set for the Nexus 4 release in Ireland” and they would not give a reason as to why it was not being released here.
    However, the Nexus 4 is designed to use Google Play to download books, movies, music, apps and games for full effect but Google only has the rights to do that in some countries and Ireland isn’t one them.
    A Google spokesperson told TheJournal.ie about the Google Play restrictions:
    Users in Ireland can currently only buy apps and games. We’re working to bring more Play content to more countries, though we have nothing specific to announce at this time.
    nexus-4-msg-630x86.jpg
    Google message when trying to buy the Nexus 4 from Ireland. Image: Google.
    If you want to get your hands on a Nexus 4 you must get it sent to one of the countries it is being launched in and then get someone to ship it to Ireland. Also, there is a purchase restriction which means the country of your credit card must match the the country to which you’re shipping the product to.
    The spokesperson for Google added said that the Nexus 4 will work in Ireland:
    The Nexus 4 is sold unlocked through Play. Theoretically, it will work in Ireland, but the buyer needs to have a UK-registered credit card, and we will only ship to a UK address.
    The Nexus 4 is being made by LG and has a 4.7-inch screen, which is larger than Apple’s iPhone 5 and smaller than the Samsung’s Galaxy S III. It can also be charged without a wire, which Google is using as its major selling point.

• Advertisement

Sounds like itd be enough for you.. but 8gb really isnt that much. If you Have a few large apps like big games such as fifa or grand theft auto the memory would be gone.

But if your just taking a few photos and videos, and transfer them to your computer when they build up..your probably fine.

Ill be getting the 16gb one and will be reverting to my sansa clip for music.. just wont be space on the phone.

Thanks, didn't know that apps take up that much room on android, think I'll go for a S3 since €460ish will get me one from amazon germany.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Thanks, didn't know that apps take up that much room on android, think I'll go for a S3 since €460ish will get me one from amazon germany.

Apps don't take more room on android he's just saying some apps like games are big which is the case even on iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

So there's no date as to when this will be out in Ireland? What a joke...

Could one just drive up North and buy one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Seeing as it might be of use to this thread too.
    Here's how I set up to buy devices off the UK play store without any issue....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81719254&postcount=206

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hardybucks

https://cloud.box.com/promos

8/16GB is gonna get full pretty quick, that box 50GB should be handy, assuming songs etc stream ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

GWNiall wrote: »
    So there's no date as to when this will be out in Ireland? What a joke...

Could one just drive up North and buy one?
    Have you seen many Google shops around the place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Apps don't take more room on android he's just saying some apps like games are big which is the case even on iOS.

16gb is enough for the vast majority of normal users, let's be honest. If you are one of those guys that used to collect DVDs or CDs and and now likes to carry around every piece of music or movie you have on your phone then it won't. But for the majority (and for those that manage their content a bit - you know, delete a movie when you've watched it...) 16gb will be fine.

It's a pity Spotify isn't available in Ireland either, I guess that's another victim of Ireland's crappy rights laws. I have a UK bank account and used it on my 8gb Arc and never had a problem playing music I wanted.

I am ordering the N4 this morning, quite excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭wba88

Ordered (after a few failed attempts)! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

wba88 wrote: »
    Ordered (after a few failed attempts)! :)

Congrats! Me too but had to settle for 8GB version as 16GB sold out already!

Did you get a confirmation email yet? I'm still waiting on mine.

Austin

Austin1 wrote: »
    Congrats! Me too but had to settle for 8GB version as 16GB sold out already!

Did you get a confirmation email yet? I'm still waiting on mine.

Austin

Not yet. I'm guessing you saw lafors reply when I asked this on the other thread but for everyone else's benefit...
    lafors wrote: »
    Not yet but I've bought online from them before while in the US and the confirmation email didn't come immediately, I was worried then but not this time :) Don't worry you'll be fine. You have your order number from the success page I presume anyway.

Oh the money has just come out of my bank account (visa debit) so its all gravy :D

• Advertisement

Just got the confirmation email with

"shipped from Barrow Street, Dublin 4"

I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

I had many failed orders too. I bloody waited up all night and must have refreshed that page a million times!
    But I got both N4 and N10 but at 8 And 16 ah well. Let's see if they will actually deliver or cancel order.

Just got the first confirmation email for N10
    BTW barrow street is google commerce that's the payment address and not the delivery address :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

gdon wrote: »
    I had many failed orders too. I bloody waited up all night and must have refreshed that page a million times!
    But I got both N4 and N10 but at 8 And 16 ah well. Let's see if they will actually deliver or cancel order.

Did you use the parcel motel as the billing address for your credit card? I've tried that, but keep getting an error message.

quigo wrote: »

Did you use the parcel motel as the billing address for your credit card? I've tried that, but keep getting an error message.

Yes parcel motel, I tried the order on nexus 7 but it kept failing used my s3 to order and that was fine. Note u need to make sure during order that the payment is not grayed out. Keep trying they don't take cash until its sent out.

Well in all my haste, I managed to get 2 N10 16gb instead of one lol. Got the three confirmation emails and the cash has been debited. Tried to cancel the extra one but I was over the hour. Ah well 2 N10 and 1N4, I am sure I can find some one who wants the extra N10.
    Anyway be careful with all those failed attempts bah lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I missed out on all the nexus 4 goodness... none available to order.

I did get my 2 nexus 10s though!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

I've no idea how you are all getting this to work.
    Even using TunnelBear and going through it using ParcelMotel, it just fails when I try to pay (due to a technical error apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

aka Dus wrote: »
    16gb is enough for the vast majority of normal users, let's be honest. If you are one of those guys that used to collect DVDs or CDs and and now likes to carry around every piece of music or movie you have on your phone then it won't. But for the majority (and for those that manage their content a bit - you know, delete a movie when you've watched it...) 16gb will be fine.

It's a pity Spotify isn't available in Ireland either, I guess that's another victim of Ireland's crappy rights laws. I have a UK bank account and used it on my 8gb Arc and never had a problem playing music I wanted.

I am ordering the N4 this morning, quite excited.

If you managed to get the N4 ordered then this really must be your lucky day. Just got an email saying Spotify has arrived in Ireland! Quick. Buy a lotto ticket! (and give me half :))

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

i know its sold out at the moment but is the following correct?

- change credit card billing address to a uk address ( does it matter what address i use??)

- turn on tunnel bear to get to the uk google store

- deliver to the mallusk address on the parcel motel website?

any help would be great, still a bit confused with what to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

i know its sold out at the moment but is the following correct?

- change credit card billing address to a uk address ( does it matter what address i use??)

- turn on tunnel bear to get to the uk google store

- deliver to the mallusk address on the parcel motel website?

any help would be great, still a bit confused with what to do

The Nexus 10 16gb isn't last time I checked.

I did the following

1- go to https://checkout.google.com/
    2- Add Shipping Address for ParcelMotel address (set as default shipping address).
    3- Add new card, make sure to set the billing address to be the ParcelMotel one.
    4- Activate TunnelBear and switch to UK, and activate.
    5- Open up google store for nexus, add to cart and proceed.
    Proceed through, it may take a few goes

[edit]
    My order is currently "Pending" so we'll see :)

[edit 2]
    nexus 10 16gb has gone back to "coming soon" lol

Advertisement