Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links

Options
  • 09-01-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Looking to play an open competition there at the end of the month and just wondering what sort of condition the place is in and the opinions of people who have played it previously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

bailey99 wrote: »
    Looking to play an open competition there at the end of the month and just wondering what sort of condition the place is in and the opinions of people who have played it previously.
    Always in super condition, played a couple of week ago and would play it 5/6 times a year at least and never have had a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Played it on new years eve. It was in great condition for the time of year. There was one temporary green in place due to work being done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Played it a few time every year for past few years - always enjoyable - links golf with beautiful views - what more could you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Historically the greens are as good as any in winter, were a few weeks back too.

This is prime links real estate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I play this course every year in Dec and its always in top conditions, its a Links course so usually the wind is the only major issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I don't think there are too many better in Dublin - The Island yes - but that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

I don't think there are too many better in Dublin - The Island yes - but that is it.

Not Portmarnock proper then?

Good course, Portmarnock Links. I'd take Royal Dublin ahead of it as well though. By a whisker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Course is in great shape at the moment, the only issue is the poa on the 13th but that seems to be getting better every day.

Hopefully the new owners will pump some money in this year.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Course is in great shape at the moment, the only issue is the poa on the 13th but that seems to be getting better every day.

Hopefully the new owners will pump some money in this year.

J

Did they put sand in the bunkers recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

What's POA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

What's POA?

Guess: point of access?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Grass

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What's POA?

A type of grass.
    There's issues with the 13th green there. The long par 5.

Love the course but I think that 13th is far too long for most of us playing it.

PARlance wrote: »
    A type of grass.
    There's issues with the 13th green there. The long par 5.

Love the course but I think that 13th is far too long for most of us playing it.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the length, the issue is the length combined with the very few options for all 3 shots. The only safe option off the tee is going down 12, then the second is so tight, the only option is to try and go long and hope to see the flag for your third. Trying to layup leaves you a very long 3rd to a blind pin and trouble all at the layup distance.

I do like the new green complex though and once the poa is gone it will be great but the hole needs some strategy tweaks to make it fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Played it today, the more I play it the more I like it, has some links holes as good as any in the country, wouldn't agree with the 13th been too long, played it off whites today in wind, driver, 3 wood, 148 yards left to pin, which in the conditions today for me was a good 6 iron, open there Saturday the 24th it's worth the €45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Played it a few times this year always good, only negative is the lack of atmosphere and the members who when you ask where they are a member say "portmarnock". Bit like asking someone what car you drive and they say "BMW" except its a 1997 BMW.

shabalala wrote: »
    Played it a few times this year always good, only negative is the lack of atmosphere and the members who when you ask where they are a member say "portmarnock". Bit like asking someone what car you drive and they say "BMW" except its a 1997 BMW.

That says a lot more about you than them.

In any case, most will say "Portmarnock Links" and it sits well within the Top 10% of courses in the country... Hardly something to shy away from or attempt to misguide you.
    It's along way from a beaten up beemer... if you want to go judging people and their cars.

Lack of a clubhouse bar may be considered a negative but saying that, I've had grub in the hotel bar that adjoins it and at least there has been a bit of life in it due to hotel guests. Not always the case in a awful lot of club's bars.

shabalala wrote: »

Shame we don't have an opposite to the thank button.

Would that be all the members you are talking about or just the ones in you head. As a member and one that knows most if not all the other 99 members and I can safely tell you that you are miles from the truth.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Shame we don't have an opposite to the think button.

Would that be all the members you are talking about or just the ones in you head. As a member and one that knows most if not all the other 99 members and I can safely tell you that you are miles from the truth.

J

Just my opinion, which is what the OP was looking for, I just got the impression from some of the members I've met they were almost a bit embarrassed that they weren't members in the real portmarnock, again just my opinion!

D

The "Real Portmarnock" as apposed the pretend one ?

How could anyone be embarrassed at playing one of the top courses in the country ?

Of course its your opinion and you are entitled to it but it would love to meet these embarrassed members.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I play there around 15 times a year - great links course

Only issues for me are

1) is the lack of sand some of the greenside bunkers, this makes it nearly impossible to play a splash shot - the sand should be deeper and finer (less cloggy).

3) The extension to the 13th is poor in my opinion - the target to too narrow and blind and the land infront of the green is very uneven and bumpy. Would be better if theY dug out a valley through the hill in front of the green which resulted in a nice flat approach/view.

Other than these its always a pleasure to play - I nearly joined as it's across the road from my house but the fee was just a little too steep plus the fact that there's no competition on Saturday was a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Couldn't agree more on the 13th, it ruined the hole and turned what was a good risk/reward par 5 into a chore.

The green complex is poor and out of character with the rest of the course. The fact it appears below the water table doesn't bode well either. I'm glad the old green has been left maintained because some humble pie will need to be taken at some stage to either rework or revert

It's also on my doorstep and I love the course. If they ever open it to wider membership of join in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

+1 for reverting back to the old 13th green. The only blemish on an otherwise outstanding course. Every time I play it I love it more and more. If only the membership was a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Senecio wrote: »
    +1 for reverting back to the old 13th green. The only blemish on an otherwise outstanding course. Every time I play it I love it more and more. If only the membership was a little less.

What are the fees?

Is there anything wrong with the odd honest 3 shot-er par 5 ?
    Not a big fan myself of some par 5s - A drive and a 6 iron onto some of them.
    A drive and a 9 iron I had onto a par 5 last year, that is a joke.

I can see the argument about drive, but if you can play a draw towards trees on right - you are talking what, 6 iron then 8 iron to wedge ?

I like green complex , as great slopes - like the odd up and down green on a links.

Green condition is shocking.

I don't think there are too many bad holes at all on the course.

In fact I'm finding it hard to think of any. Maybe, just maybe, 1 is different, not a great opening but a classic links drain hole. , I like it.
    4 maybe a bit dull. 5 then to follow. Maybe weak at turn back there.
    14 - for me, is not a hole that is a reachable par 4 - it should be longer or a little shorter.

As for the finish - I think 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 , pure class.

I would have joined , but a little out of way for where I need to get to before and after golf.

I've no problem with an honest 3 shot par five. The 18th at Roganstown is a great example. The 13th at the links to me seems like they made it longer for the sake of making it longer. It adds nothing to the hole at all.

leonards wrote: »
    What are the fees?

€2,500 the last time I enquired not sure what the current rate is. Great course but I just can't justify spending that in club membership.

Is there anything wrong with the odd honest 3 shot-er par 5 ? .

No problems with a 3 shot Par 5 but if it's a 3 shot then let it be as a result of a risk reward decision. Like the 14th in Palmerstown. You'll get there with two big accurate whacks but it also plays as a difficult 3 shot hole too. A great hole imo.

I think the 13th in Portmarnock links was made long for the sake of being long.
    3 very good shots are required and even then it's a bit of a lottery if a good approach shot will hold the green or not.

I think that any hole should gave a high % chance of rewarding the average golfer with a birdie putt if they play the hole very well. The 13th doesn't always offer this.

Love the rest of the course though.

Senecio wrote: »
    I've no problem with an honest 3 shot par five. The 18th at Roganstown is a great example. The 13th at the links to me seems like they made it longer for the sake of making it longer. It adds nothing to the hole at all.

Not being smart - but it adds length.

It is a modern reality for links courses - particularly ones that are aiming for championship level golf. They take opportunities to add length.

Totally understand how people do not think this is a good thing to do to links courses.

Maybe Golfgraffix has reason behind the change ?

• Advertisement

Not being smart - but it adds length.

It is a modern reality for links courses - particularly ones that are aiming for championship level golf. They take opportunities to add length.

Totally understand how people do not think this is a good thing to do to links courses.

Maybe Golfgraffix has reason behind the change ?

Good point with the champions but throw in another tee box for the mortals imo.

Advertisement