Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The list of courses is starting to grab my attention! Is there any regulars from the north east that play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    The list of courses is starting to grab my attention! Is there any regulars from the north east that play?
    I'm from Monaghan and will get to most outings carpooling would not be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Anyone be going from kilkenny area id be interested in making a few of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So here we are, 2 days to go and Santa is busy stuffing his sack. Your Boards Golf Society Outings for 2015 have been finalised and line up as follows

31/01/2015 10:30 The Heritage - - - Captains Drive in, non qualifying and a bit of fun to welcome old and new
    21/02/2015 10:00 Portmarnock Links
    21/03/2015 11:15 Naas
    25/04/2015 10:00 Tullamore
    23/05/2015 11:00 Dundrum House
    27/06/2015 10:30 The Royal Curragh
    27/07/2015 13:30 Killeen Castle
    22/08/2015 10:30 Carton House Monty Course
    19/09/2015 14:00 Fota Island Deerpark Course Captains Prize

So start your practice early guys, the Race to Cork is on.

The annual sub will be €30. Each of the first 6 outings will be €35. The last three outings will be heavily subsidised but unfortunately there is not a bottomless pit, however I expect you should be paying no more than €40-€45. I don't however want to see a surge of people only coming out for cheap golf at marquee venues so places and discounts will be reserved primarily for the regular attendees. Visitors will be welcome where space allow but will have to pay the full green fee on the day plus a fiver.

For Captains night, I have 18 beds booked in the River Lee Hotel in Cork city. If you are interested in one of these spots, let me know, and we might start to collect deposits for this at the outings during the year.

There you have it guys, all set to go for 2015, now roll on the Heritage on 31st January

Keep an eye out and I will get the thread going for the first outing soon and teamer messages will be sent out early in the new year. If you are interested in joining, drop me a PM and we will get you set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Tried getting out to some outings last year but being the tight year it was it just wasn't possible but this year (although Corballis kinda counted :D ) I'll hopefully make them all but definitely a few of them, the course list looks amazing

Pormarnock, Curragh, Monty,Kileen and Fota are the ones I'm looking forward to most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

One of the best list of outings I've ever seen for a society I could go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    Outstanding list of courses to look forward to tackling in 2015. All we need now is to be blessed with some good weather on those days early in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    merry xmas all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Happy Christmas to all in the Society and best wishes to those that are thinking about joining.
    Fair play to Charlie for all his effort this year and Charlie, you're in my thoughts at this time.
    Seve, best of luck next year, the bull is complaining that you're pulling his horns off already :)

Looks like a great year in store next year! Well done to all, especially to the lads that brought this from an idea into reality.

• Advertisement

Lads,
    As I was reading it on another thread. Hope I’m not over stepping the mark.
    Could there be a reiteration of exactly how the handicaps will work.

The difficulty I find with societies is - that it is not unusual for your handicap to be adjusted up or down versus your GUI handicap . I know we had a couple of discussions in thread and at outings about this last year.
    Then you have others who say it should be GUI or nothing. I can see the benifits of society golf being designed for all to have a chance to win. But up to the committee.

This society is a little different in that the majority – what 80 , 90 %are going to have GUI handicaps.
    I guess the key is to have the rules right and stick with them – but this is an issue for committee to decide how to implement.

Anyway – could we post handicap rules please. If posted I guess they will be similar the way rules were , but any changes this year ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes we will post the rules and any changes shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Some great courses in that list, but all miles away from me :(

Hope you have a great year and Ya never know I might make it to one!

So here are the rules governing the handicaps. The aim of the rules is to be fair and equitable to everyone, and will hopefully mean everyone has a chance to end up in the winners enclosure.

15527307234_c43a103f5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Is there anybody going from Cork City to these games? I have always been interested in this and I'm going to go to a few this year

Is there anybody going from Cork City to these games? I have always been interested in this and I'm going to go to a few this year

There are a good few cork lads that play but I couldn't tell you if any of them are from the city....

• Advertisement

This is not for the purposes of debate.
    Just information.

Any background Seve - on how the (-3) figure came about above for 1st.

Is it felt this will mean - you will only win once in year ? What impact do you feel this will have on outcomes next year.

I guess more golfers will be in the mix all year for GOY ?

Just curiosity how you feel this will impact on results ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Long term lurker
    Quite keen on joining am I right in saying the rounds are on Saturdays mainly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Welcome :)

We only play on Saturdays.

Sweet won't make the first outing so will hopefully be there for the second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just information.

Is it felt this will mean - you will only win once in year ? What impact do you feel this will have on outcomes next year.

Every year the society is evolving and some things will be changed and others left as is. Over the years we've had multiple winners and new winners and we want as many members as possible to be in with a chance of winning an event.

• Advertisement

Just information.

tis more or less as it was last year fix, just a little tweaking, trying to be fair to everyone. not intended to limit wins to once a year, but more to give everyone a decent chance to get into the winners enclosure.
    there has been confusion in the past as to what the rules actually were, so now everyone knows them.

furthermore, the results of each outing will be posted, but alongside them will be the handicap adjustments so keeping you all informed and aware of how you handicap has been adjusted through the year.

edit.... charlie was writing his reply as i was doing mine so only seen his one after i posted this

Seve OB wrote: »
    tis more or less as it was last year fix, just a little tweaking, trying to be fair to everyone. not intended to limit wins to once a year, but more to give everyone a decent chance to get into the winners enclosure.
    there has been confusion in the past as to what the rules actually were, so now everyone knows them.

furthermore, the results of each outing will be posted, but alongside them will be the handicap adjustments so keeping you all informed and aware of how you handicap has been adjusted through the year.

edit.... charlie was writing his reply as i was doing mine so only seen his one after i posted this

Great move lads.

Lads very passionate about handicaps on boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Due to work issues I am going to have to give outings a miss this year. All the best stevie and lads. Cracking courses and going by last year great craic and banter assured. Will be keeping an eye out for the results too.

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Due to work issues I am going to have to give outings a miss this year. All the best stevie and lads. Cracking courses and going by last year great craic and banter assured. Will be keeping an eye out for the results too.

That's a pity dude.

Cheers scrubber. Totally understand real life just gets in the way sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Very sorry to hear the news of your absence. Who is going to keep me on the straight and narrow this year ?????.

Surely you will manage to get one or two in. Some great courses which will be hard to resist especially in the summer sunshine.

Scrubs - would you be able to get down to Portmarnock for a last throw this year - a few pints that night.

I owe you a round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can't make The Heritage as real life friends have scuppered things and I'll be down in Belmullet playing Carne.

But I'm in for the rest, hope to make most of them. Enjoy the day lads, sorry I can't make this one Seve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I can't make the first one unfortunately, and it looks like a few clash with a work society. But I'd love to make as many as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

31/01/2015 10:30 The Heritage - - - Captains Drive in, non qualifying and a bit of fun
    21/02/2015 10:00 Portmarnock Links
    21/03/2015 11:15 Naas
    25/04/2015 10:00 Tullamore
    23/05/2015 11:00 Dundrum House
    27/06/2015 10:30 The Royal Curragh
    25th July 2015 Killeen Castle
    22/08/2015 monty carton
    19/09/2015 fota island Captains

Dam dam dam that's my game plan for 2015 blown out of the water, was hoping to come into the captain's 2015 with only four played and a game in hand just behind the leaders but unfortunately this list is just too juicy maybe i can give the potholes in monty a miss but it looks like i'am i'll just have to play the rest(all being well).
    I suppose i'll do a macker and get out of the traps fast with a early win. Really looking forward to getting the dust off the clubs and teeing it up in the herritage hopefully we won't need orange balls.

ps captain are you sure carlsberg aren't sponsoring us ?

• Advertisement

Anyone travelling from Meath to the first one?

Was planning on starting with Portmarnock but if I could get a lift on this I could make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    I can't make the first one unfortunately, and it looks like a few clash with a work society. But I'd love to make as many as I could.

Thats disappointing. I was hoping to join that particular work society this year. Guess I'll have to give it a miss in favour of boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Was planning on starting with Portmarnock but if I could get a lift on this I could make it

I'll hopefully be going that way Dan but won't know until midweek before the outing for sure. Just had a new arrival last week so waiting to see if I can get the permission slip signed, looks good at the moment.

kieran. wrote: »
    I'll hopefully be going that way Dan but won't know until midweek before the outing for sure. Just had a new arrival last week so waiting to see if I can get the permission slip signed, looks good at the moment.

That would be great, I'll pm on my number, I'm afraid I've lost yours :o

Congratulations , fantastic news! Great start to the year either way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Rikand wrote: »
    Thats disappointing. I was hoping to join that particular work society this year. Guess I'll have to give it a miss in favour of boards.ie ;)

Given these courses I am considering doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Where abouts in Meath? I am in a similar situatation as I wont know how I am fixed until closer the time. Not because of a newborn though, because I am just getting the finances together to join a club this year.

Where abouts in Meath? I am in a similar situatation as I wont know how I am fixed until closer the time. Not because of a newborn though, because I am just getting the finances together to join a club this year.
    I'm just outside of kells

I'm going to miss the Heritage unfortunately but plan to be at the rest of the events.

Just done my mileage for all events - 2084kms excluding getting lost (which is quite possible!!) I love golf!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm going to miss the Heritage unfortunately but plan to be at the rest of the events.

Just done my mileage for all events - 2084kms excluding getting lost (which is quite possible!!) I love golf!!!

I'll be throwing you a few pound for Petrol for some of those if that's okay ? :)

• Advertisement

Hey lads - i'm in Navan myself - won't be making heritage - but car pooling could be good for any of the further afield outings.

Fantastic, the micra is limited to 2 but I'll bring who I can for future events or subsidise the petrol

Rikand wrote: »
    I'll be throwing you a few pound for Petrol for some of those if that's okay ? :)

That's no prob at all, if we get Athlone99 to a few a well we can split it 3 ways. My new bus is daysul though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Im all on for car pooling but as im now in Clane i will be headn to most courses from here. and i will be last minute on most outings due to football! but def going to try make the big courses for sure!

tigerwood1 wrote: »

ps captain are you sure carlsberg aren't sponsoring us ?

nope, not carlsberg but I was out with the bro-in-law last night and told him i want him to sponsor a few prizes, so he will come up trumps hopefully with something decent :D

heading home tomorrow, will be weird having to wear more than shorts and t-shirts and the christmas decorations are still up!

athlone99 wrote: »
    Im all on for car pooling but as im now in Clane i will be headn to most courses from here. and i will be last minute on most outings due to football! but def going to try make the big courses for sure!

We'll call in to ya for brekkie on the way!!!

• Advertisement

Fantastic, the micra is limited to 2 but I'll bring who I can for future events or subsidise the petrol

Yeah - be a bit of a squeeze in the Golf for three plus bags and trolleys!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 whosyourcaddy

sofireland wrote: »

Lads, im a new member to the boards golf society, but I'm driving from navan to the Heritage if someone wants a lift.

sofireland wrote: »

I've done it before but not a big drive :pac:
    Lads, im a new member to the boards golf society, but I'm driving from navan to the Heritage if someone wants a lift.

Jaysus alot of members closer than I thought, presumed I was the only one this direction. Looks like there won't be a problem one of us getting a lift if needs be, no sense driving so many cars when we're within 30minutes of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Bit of a lurker around here and I have to admit that I'm green with envy of the courses! I can't commit this year but hopefully next year. Have a gudden folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shane84

Is there still openings for the society?

• Advertisement
Advertisement