Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Allowance

Options
  • 18-05-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have applied for carers allowance for my son 4 who has CF , he was only diagnosed last June. At the time i was on illness benefit and incorrectly informed by the dept i was not entitled to it thats why im only applying for it now. I have heard there is an eight month delay in processing is there any way to speed it up as financially finding it very difficult as i left my job to care for my son. Has anyone any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Hi Cheeky, thought I would reply to your post as I'm in a similar situation. I hope your son is doing well. I have CF myself and my partner has applied for carer's allowance. We have been waiting since September and money is fairly tight with us as well so I know where you're coming from. We went to our local TD's office and asked if he could write a letter of support to add to our claim and he did, I think this is supposed to speed things up but I don't know whether it has or not. Just thought that perhaps you could do the same. Good luck with your claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

Hi Medusa 22 just wondered did you hear anymore from carers allowance since TDs letter ? I also applied sept but was turned down end of may... Think i may have wrote to you on another thread thats been closed, but was wondering had you heard anything yet? If i remember correctly hadnt the inspector went to your home and there was some mix up with the report ? Be interested to know how you are getting on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

Hi everyone, 30 weeks waiting time for me, had my local TD contact via letter and I have written emails to various governmental officials regarding waiting time. Still no further news with my case, but I will update as soon as I hear something.

Hello again to Linda Dub and hello to everyone else. It is such a relief to be able to swap information and stories with people in similar situations.

Hi irish mum of 1 gud to hear frm you... The other thread was closed and as i was ranting about the system etc in fairness i shudnt have been but smtimes i get very annoyed n say things that maybe i shudnt as we all do... Anyhow good to hear from you.... You're waiting 30 weeks now ? You really shouldnt be two long waiting now . Fair play getting TDS letter etc hopefully you will hear soon... As you know i was refused after 36 weeks so i sent in letter n lots more details frm docs about my parents health for a reveiw.... If that doesnt do i may have to appeal and i know thats another long long wait!!!!! Dunno how long reveiw takes prob long time too!!!!!

Linda dub wrote: »
    Hi irish mum of 1 gud to hear frm you... The other thread was closed and as i was ranting about the system etc in fairness i shudnt have been but smtimes i get very annoyed n say things that maybe i shudnt as we all do... Anyhow good to hear from you.... You're waiting 30 weeks now ? You really shouldnt be two long waiting now . Fair play getting TDS letter etc hopefully you will hear soon... As you know i was refused after 36 weeks so i sent in letter n lots more details frm docs about my parents health for a reveiw.... If that doesnt do i may have to appeal and i know thats another long long wait!!!!! Dunno how long reveiw takes prob long time too!!!!!

Good to hear from you too and to see you are doing the full process. I am praying I won't be waiting too much longer. I did feel bad getting the TD's letter but I hope it helps others as well as myself. Yes 30 weeks seems like a lifetime ago now!!! So I should hope from your experience that in 6 more weeks maximum I have an answer. The TD's letter and parliamentary questions got me two letters from the social welfare through him, and he continues to monitor my case for me while appealing the waiting times. They did say in the first letter that my husband "satisfies the medical criteria for receipt of carer’s allowance". And in the second one "On completion of the necessary investigations relating to all aspects of her claim a decision will be made and Ms B will be notified directly of the outcome". And I know we satisfy the income part, but a part of me does not want to get my hopes up too high.

I know its hard to keep your chin up and keep going, but that's what we have to do really. See I made a really really long post :p and now I need to go to bed, :) a night of fits last night for hubby and I am wrecked beyond belief as the little one is also teething. Keep up the good fight and I will update thread if I hear anything my end. Had to stay up and pay the electricity bill ASAP once the money hit the bank tonight :eek: Tight deadlines. Talk soon.

• Advertisement

Sounds extremly positive letters you have received so id say its amost certain you wii get carers. Its only medical criteria and income that needs to be assessed as far as i know but not 100% sure...please god you will
    Hear very soon ... It seems very tough for you wth your sick husband and a young child how do you cope? I know theres no choice but to do so and i sincerely hope you get sorted out soon ....i know getting it Wont make your husband better but make both your lives a wee bit easier without the added stress of financial worries ... Take care will be keeping eye out for sme good news from you soon please god 

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Hi there, I was wondering what happened to that other thread - I am waiting for 36 weeks now, I have an appointed with the SW Inspector this week, I'm not sure if it's a good or bad sign, but trying to stay positive - it's so difficult to make ends meet and in limbo with the long waiting time for a decision.

Hi aileach good to hear from you ... Im not sure about SW inspectors visit but at least you hav'nt been turned down for it.... Can only mean they look
    More info so id try stay positive not an easy task with money worries and the long wait:( moderator closed thread as thought was completly off wait time subject n spose it was but everyone get so frustrated and annoyed..... Wonder how some of the others getting on... I hope some have been awarded the payment by now ... Best of luck with inspector i seriously hope you not too long waiting on decision .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Hello everyone, hope you're all ok, although I know that all of us are frustrated! Are you still waiting to see if you have to appeal Linda_dub? The inspector finally sent the report to CA, I think. We rang CA but they didn't know if it had arrived yet (I won't say anything else about that or this thread will be closed too). So we're still waiting and our savings are still going down :( Is anyone still having trouble ringing CA? They've stopped answering when we ring through the disability allowance section and they never answer when you ring them directly.

Sounds extremly positive letters you have received so id say its amost certain you wii get carers. Its only medical criteria and income that needs to be assessed as far as i know but not 100% sure...please god you will
    Hear very soon ... It seems very tough for you wth your sick husband and a young child how do you cope? I know theres no choice but to do so and i sincerely hope you get sorted out soon ....i know getting it Wont make your husband better but make both your lives a wee bit easier without the added stress of financial worries ... Take care will be keeping eye out for sme good news from you soon please god 

Isn't it funny how we don't see how hard our situation is but we see how hard things are for others. We have been married 4 years next month and I am so used to my husband's condition now. I see how everyone else struggles while waiting and I feel for everyone especially people who have been waiting so long and got turned down.

I just take things as they come and pray that God gives me the strength and knowledge to deal with things. Plus my little boy is so good, (2 at Christmas) he is my sweetie. The last few days have been frantic here, no chance to get online for a chat. I got turned down for my keyhole for my gallstones, got called for Jury Duty starting on my 30th birthday and got told by the HSE I have 8-9 weeks to get approved for my carer's allowance or I have to find cheaper accommodation, which I really can not do as I need to be close to town to bring my husband to all his doctors appointments and we are close to family which help me out when I need them. I do not own a car. I contacted my TD again this morning as soon as I got the phone call from the HSE and they said they will make contact with the Welfare again and explain my situation has changed. They recommended I pass on the letters I got from the Welfare to my Community Officer to see if that buys me more time as they feel more then confident I will get it but that it will take more then 8-9 weeks to hear a result due to the "Respite Grant" being issued this month.

I assumed the appeal would take a long time and I sincerely hope you get regular updates so you know what it happening, its the unknown that makes us anxious waiting.

Time for a cuppa and feet up while my little one naps, the laundry can wait as its raining here :)

The finance side knowing it was sorted out would be a blessing alright, take care and talk soon.

• Advertisement

God dats tough but as you say you just have to do it n take each day as it comes.... I thought id problems but think you might have more!!!! What a mess surely smthing can be done about your living situation and cannot expect you to move into cheaper accomadation .... Never mind TDS id go To Enda Kenny if you cud!!!! ..... Hope to god you Get some good news from somwere soon ... Best of luck with everything keep us posted :)))

Hi medusa I havent been on to anyone as i was also banned from boards for a week
    Over the last thread !!!!! Yes really im fifty years old next month and have never been banned from anything spos first time for everthing !!!!! Anyhow im still waiting on reveiw of decision... I got through yesterday after ages but same story did i send it right place its not show on computer etc while last week told me all The new medical Evidence was with doctors but its an outside doctor and not always there ... Dunno what or who to belive ... I will Just have to wait AGAIN and see ... I hope you get sorted soon too
    Fact that at last report sent in should hurry things up for you ... Again keep us posted 

Hi there - the waiting for a decision is so difficult, we are also in dire financial difficulties. I had a meeting with the SW inspector last week which went well I think, I forgot to ask him when he would send the report in but he seems very efficient so I hope he sent it in right away. I had also received a request for more financial info from the CA at the end of May, that letter said that I had 21 days to send the info in, I found it very difficult to get info from one source that I needed hence I posted the info to CA the day before the 21 day deadline, I'm hoping that the received it on time - I haven't been able to phone to find out what stage my application is at - I'm afraid to really :(

aileach wrote: »
    Hi there - the waiting for a decision is so difficult, we are also in dire financial difficulties. I had a meeting with the SW inspector last week which went well I think, I forgot to ask him when he would send the report in but he seems very efficient so I hope he sent it in right away. I had also received a request for more financial info from the CA at the end of May, that letter said that I had 21 days to send the info in, I found it very difficult to get info from one source that I needed hence I posted the info to CA the day before the 21 day deadline, I'm hoping that the received it on time - I haven't been able to phone to find out what stage my application is at - I'm afraid to really :(

I don't want to ring on the basis that I am keeping them from working on mine or another case. I am thinking that the extra request for information about finances is a good sign, I was asked for 6 months bank statements myself today, sent them in the post this afternoon. I think that when they are processing your application they need up to date financial information to ensure you have no extra income since you applied for the carer's allowance.

God dats tough but as you say you just have to do it n take each day as it comes.... I thought id problems but think you might have more!!!! What a mess surely smthing can be done about your living situation and cannot expect you to move into cheaper accomadation .... Never mind TDS id go To Enda Kenny if you cud!!!! ..... Hope to god you Get some good news from somwere soon ... Best of luck with everything keep us posted :)))

I sent my HSE Officer a copy of all the letters I got from the Welfare and a copy of anything I got from my T.D. Hopefully that buys me more time from them.
    The carers allowance section me a letter. I hope it is a positive sign that I got a request for 6 months work of bank statements today, which I have already posted back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katy12

Hi, glad I found you again. ;)

I got my documents back on Thursday, 10 weeks after I submitted my application. The note with them said I would hear shortly, so I live in hope!

All the best to people still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Hi all :o

Things don't seem to have changed much since the last thread a few weeks ago. Like you Linda Dub I was also banned for a week though we were ranting a bit last time. Update on my own situation. Finally, got my letter after numerous letters and calls. They have reversed the appeal decision and have awarded me carer's allowance. Just got my letter.
    It is such a sense of relief that they finally believed me when I said I was providing full time care and that I was not working.
    I will continue to follow everyone's progress and I wish everyone the best. It took me a month short of two yrs to get to this stage but my situation was a bit complicated but please continue to fight for what you are entitled to.

Best of luck to all :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katy12

Skate22 - I did read through all the posts when I found the other thread and was horrified at your story. So glad you have won your appeal, and wish you all the best.

skate22 wrote: »
    Hi all :o

Things don't seem to have changed much since the last thread a few weeks ago. Like you Linda Dub I was also banned for a week though we were ranting a bit last time. Update on my own situation. Finally, got my letter after numerous letters and calls. They have reversed the appeal decision and have awarded me carer's allowance. Just got my letter.
    It is such a sense of relief that they finally believed me when I said I was providing full time care and that I was not working.
    I will continue to follow everyone's progress and I wish everyone the best. It took me a month short of two yrs to get to this stage but my situation was a bit complicated but please continue to fight for what you are entitled to.

Best of luck to all :):rolleyes:[/Quote

That is fantastic skate 22 i was thinking bout you since i went back on this and wondering had you heard anything ... Well done you :) u should be so proud you have never given up n rghtly so.....almost two
    Years later that will encourage others here not to give up .... Im a month now waiting for a reveiw of the decision... Nobody seems to know how long can take probably another few months :( said was gone to medical officer as soon as i sent all new info in so we just have wait and see .... 42 weeks snce applied so i reckon prob be a full year before get there decision and if hve to appeal be another year :( anyhow well done again im delited that youve cleared your name too best of luck for future 

Thanks Linda dub and Katy
    The posts here helped me continue to fight as it was one way of venting my frustration and knowing as well that there are a lot of people in similar situations. I will say that I wrote to the appeals dept at least twice a month with anything new I could think of and also to keep my appeal fresh in their minds. I probably tormented them in the end and alarm bells probably sounded everytime I rang. I will say to keep on top of everything and if you write ask for receipt of acknowledgement and keep every bit of correspondance you get from them. My file alone added up to 253 pages which I got a copy of.

Best of luck to all

• Advertisement

Well done Skate22 on your hard earned win.

I too have great news. I got my decision in the post this morning and I have been awarded the carers allowance. I also got a letter to say I will receive the respite grant and I got my bus pass in a separate envelope in the post today also. What a weight has been lifted off my mind. My T.D was instrumental in getting this for me with the problems I have been having in my rent allowance. I sincerely hope everyone else here and all the others waiting hear good news soon. If you are waiting as long as I have give your local T.D a call, it can't hurt.

Skate 22 that is fantastic news, also IrishMumOf1 :) What a relief it must be for both of you.

I received devestating news yesterday - I do not qualify for carers for either of my parents because of the medical evidence.

I am gutted and don't know what to do next. Linda Dub how did you go about the review? My letter states that I may appeal within 21 days (either before or after seeking a review by a Deciding Officer) - I don't understand that part - should I request a review and also appeal.

Thanks for all your helpful posts on this and the other threads

Skate 22 that is fantastic news, also IrishMumOf1 :) What a relief it must be for both of you.

I received devestating news yesterday - I do not qualify for carers for either of my parents because of the medical evidence.

I am gutted and don't know what to do next. Linda Dub how did you go about the review? My letter states that I may appeal within 21 days (either before or after seeking a review by a Deciding Officer) - I don't understand that part - should I request a review and also appeal.

Thats just awful aileach i know how u feel i was same when got letter... I sent in anythng i cud get regarding my parents health incl more medical evidence from doctors hospitals etc .... Its a month snce
    They received it... Same story ring each week no news... Today however said its with medical doctor and decision will be made by 19 july....seems reveiws hve certain time limit or something so will know then or maybe before. If unsucsessful its sent for appeal but i will have no more info to give as ive got all i can from docs etc ... So from date i receive new decision ive 21 days to write letter of appeal... Think they forward files then to appeals office.... Not sure if this info right tho ...... Good luck with it and keep us posted 

I too have great news. I got my decision in the post this morning and I have been awarded the carers allowance. I also got a letter to say I will receive the respite grant and I got my bus pass in a separate envelope in the post today also. What a weight has been lifted off my mind. My T.D was instrumental in getting this for me with the problems I have been having in my rent allowance. I sincerely hope everyone else here and all the others waiting hear good news soon. If you are waiting as long as I have give your local T.D a call, it can't hurt.

Great news irish mum of 1 delighted hear bit more good news you must be so releived. And wait time seems bit quicker though only by couple weeks but still its something.... The best of luck to you and your family 

Well done Irishmumof1, delighted to hear your news and what a relief for you for it to be finally over. You can now continue without the added pressure of waiting and wondering.

Hi Aileach, so sorry to hear you were refused. You should now gather as much medical information as is possible and in as much detail as possible. Get letters from the doctors, hospitals and maybe even the chemist where you collect prescriptions. Anything at all that will help your case. Even get other members of your family or friends to write a letter for you stating what your parents health is like and how you look after them. Anyone that calls to your parents will know that they are in need of a carer and that you are doing that job so get them all to write a letter on your behalf and send everything back for a review. Keep copies of everything and send by registered post.

When I was refused I went straight for an appeal which is a very long process. Send back for a review, which is a quicker process. If that is turned down it will then go to the appeals board. Don't give up at this stage because I am sure you will still have to continue to look after your parents. Just because you were refused does not mean that your caring duties have ended.

I will also make a suggestion that once you have sent in your review if anything changes during your wait for a decision then send in a letter to that effect. Such as if you have had a particularly bad day or the doctor had to be called then send a detailed letter about that. Everything sent will be kept on your file. During my appeal I sent letter practically on a weekly basis just to keep on top of it. Probably for my own benefit as well but it worked out ok for me in the end.

Keep up the fight for what you deserve.

Best of Luck :rolleyes:

Thanks for that info skate and linda. I went to the cwo today but he cannot help us financially, but he did say that the review would go to the same medical officer who made the initial decision, but that the appeal would be by an independent person. I guess we'll go for the review first, have an apt with the dr today so will try to get everything written down in as much detail as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Can I ask when you first applied?

Aileach, so sorry to hear this, I hope you consider appealing this decision and best of luck with this.

Thank you Linda Dub and I will keep reading this page and keep up to date so I can fingers crossed see you get the result you deserve.

Skate22 you were my inspiration to keep the old chin up. :)

Endofrainbow I applied last year in 2011 took 32 weeks to get my decision from when they received my application, I had sent it in 3 weeks before that, but it took that long for it to be opened and acknowledged.

• Advertisement

I have asked for my case to be reviewed, still can't quite believe that I've been refused in the first place :(

Advertisement