Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One hit wonders in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The Blades - Ghost of a chance.
    The Four of us - Mary
    An Emotional Fish - Celebrate
    The Blades also had a hit with Downmarket and The Four of Us with Tie Me Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Blades also had a hit with Downmarket and The Four of Us with Tie Me Down.

Oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

I remember a song from some lad called dempsey or something that goes like "goin down to dublin town" or something, was that a one hit wonder???, also the dunnes stores girl, dunno who sang that tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Declan O'Rourke sang 'Dunnes Stores Girl'. Hardly retro though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Bearhunter wrote: »
    It's a Secret from Bray had a minor hit back in the 80s with a song called I Can't Dance and promptly disappeared. Great track though, like a cross between SLF and the Chieftains.

I had that one. Brilliant track-never knew they were from Bray though (I'm a blow in:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Microdisney - Town to town

Cork band back in the 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

FatherTed wrote: »
    How about that tune back in the late 70's "One Day At A Time" by some wan with red hair? It was number 1 for about a year but that was the only hit that girl had. My parents got that 45.

Also the Eurovision songs were mostly one offs like Cathal Dunne way back when.

Edited... actually One Day At A Time was by Gloria and was in the charts for a whole 90 weeks. Plus she had a few other minor hits back then.... see: http://www.irishcharts.ie

Gloria had a hit with it. It's a Kris Kristofferson song, and then about two years after Gloria had it, a Scottish singer, Lena Martell did it, and had a massive hit in the UK with an IMO superior version (which began with "One Day at Time, Sweet Jesus" and then "I'm only human", slightly different orchestration) and then too vanished back to Scotland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

5 year bump...not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

THE REAL McCOY QUICK JOEY SMALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DG83bO5KbM

nother cringeworthy one from late 60s & a cover version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

No Sweat:Heart And Soul.I remember the fact that they had a black guitarist was a big deal in pre mulicultural Ireland.(circa 1990)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Something Happens had many hits, 10 in ireland.

For those who haven't a clue about what charted or did not in Ireland, this would help:

http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Ponster wrote: »
    5 year bump...not bad.

Love olde threads, they smell of cinnamon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

darkdubh wrote: »
    No Sweat:Heart And Soul.I remember the fact that they had a black guitarist was a big deal in pre mulicultural Ireland.(circa 1990)

I saw them at Feile 90.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I saw them at Feile 90.

They pretty much disappeared without trace soon after that song but there was a big buzz about them very briefly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I have a few here-some more recent than others:

Laura Izibor-Let The Sun Shine On Your Face
    The Alice Band-Nothin On But The Radio
    Codes-This Is Goodbye
    Hothouse Flowers-Don't Go(thats the only one I know of them)
    Six-There's A Whole Lotta Lovin
    My Little Funhouse-I Want Some Of That
    Shaine-This Is Your Dreamtown
    Joe Mac and The Dixies-Cabbagehead(piss take of Stan Ridgeway's "Camouflage")

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

First Irish single to ever debut at number 1.
    I still have both the 7in & 12in singles.
    Great song.

kerash wrote: »
    Relish and The Revs

Relish had 2 hits (but nothing more) as far as I can remember-"It's You I'm Thinkin Of" and "Rainbow Zeffyr".
    Never liked any of them-but then those Westlife pansies really turned the latter into sheit.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

They pretty much disappeared without trace soon after that song but there was a big buzz about them very briefly.

Did they sing that song that went with ".....I'm tearin down,tearin down the walls,tear down the walls..."??
    Or was that Mamma's Boys or Big Generator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Seasan wrote: »
    I have a few here-some more recent than others:

Shaine-This Is Your Dreamtown
    That was a great song. The B-side (remember them?) "Like an Ocean" was a lovely song also.

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    That was a great song. The B-side (remember them?) "Like an Ocean" was a lovely song also.

I'm delighted somebody else remembers Dreamtown!
    I was in the early years in secondary school when that song was out-great song.

I'm delighted somebody else remembers Dreamtown!
    I was in the early years in secondary school when that song was out-great song.

Same here. 1991 if I remember correctly. I bought the Committments soundtrack around the same time.

Did they sing that song that went with ".....I'm tearin down,tearin down the walls,tear down the walls..."??
    Or was that Mamma's Boys or Big Generator?

No Sweat! Poison had a song on their 1989 album with the same title.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    No Sweat! Poison had a song on their 1989 album with the same title.

What a brilliant song!
    I'd forgotten how good that was-I think tis a way better song than "Heart And Soul".

I think this is the only place where we'll find "Dreamtown"

Ponster wrote: »
    They had 2 'hits' IMO.

Parachute and Hello, hello, hello, hello...

Nah,Something Happens were/are a really good Irish band with a string of hits between the 80s and 90s,and had more than a few albums too.Tis just that "Parachute",even these days,is overplayed.I hear that they can still pull in big crowds as well.

Even their good buddies U2 "borrowed" some things from them-the line "Stuck Together With God's Glue" is the name of Something Happens album from the 80s,and now it is also a well known line from a U2 song......and notice some similarities between Something Happens "Petrol/Hello Hello..." and U2 "Vertigo"....

• Advertisement

What the flick happened to Laura Izibor? Big things predicted, and then "clap" - nothing...

What the flick happened to Laura Izibor? Big things predicted, and then "clap" - nothing...

The last time I saw anything of Laura Izibor was when she was a guest on The Den a few years back-and she was asked a question who would win in a fight between herself and Amy Winehouse(or it could have been Alisha Keys)(???) and she answered by saying "I'd win-because I'm Irish.....and I'm black."

I remember her song was used in a few ads as well.

I'm not even sure if this lot had a hit or not but someone mentioned them on After Hours,the first time I've seen their name mentioned in well over 25 years.One of those long forgotten Irish 80s groups.

Exit wrote: »
    Anyone remember Dove? Can't remember if they had just the one hit. Might've been just two.

Were the Saw Doctors one hit wonders? I know there was one big one (though I can't remember what it goes like now) but presumably they were big "down the country"?

All I remember about them was the very hot female one,she was half Asian I think and she was on with Pat Kenny (?) talking about her boob job.

All I remember about them was the very hot female one,she was half Asian I think and she was on with Pat Kenny (?) talking about her boob job.

Hazel Kaneswaran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hazel Kaneswaran

The Kanewarans are our Kardashians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 eoc2

Long shot but does anyone remember an Irish tune from the 90's called "Skyscraper" ? I can't remember the bands name but I remember the video had 2 female vocals. Really catchy tune with a lyric that went something like ..... " and if you fall from your skyscraper. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

OTT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 eoc2

Not OTT, were they a boy band ? Definitely wasn't a boy band that sung it.

pauro 76 wrote: »
    Jaysus i remember F.A.B. The worst looking girlband of all time, with all those piercings.
    Worst? Anyone remember Clout, South African girl pop-rock band of the late 70s? Couldn't perform on TOTP as Equity had put up sanctions for SA performers coming into the UK.
    Looked like the cast of Prisoner Cell Block H had formed a girl group...

Sorry, to be off-topic, and this being a zombie thread, but to answer my own question, Laura Izibor, her album was supposed to come out in 2012. An Ep of 3 tracks came out, but not the promised record. Her twitter's not been updated since 2014. I'm sure I read somewhere she retired for family, but I'm not sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

TheDriver wrote: »
    What about the 4th Dimension??

This would be their biggest 'hit', love the album but I wouldn't go so far as to call them one hit wonders..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would have thought the rather tacky Storm was their biggest hit, seeing as it got to #3:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Worst? Anyone remember Clout, South African girl pop-rock band of the late 70s? Couldn't perform on TOTP as Equity had put up sanctions for SA performers coming into the UK.
    Looked like the cast of Prisoner Cell Block H had formed a girl group....

Some things in life should be accepted and not confirmed to be true- :eek: why did I Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pajo's Junkbox - We'll Wash Our Socks for Christmas.

Zig & Zag - The Tijuana Gypsies Stole My Personal Stereo

(can't see that last one making it past today's censors...)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

aaah, the brothers from Zog had more than the one hit

TUNE!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oops forgot that one....a tad racy for kids' tv show puppets, eh?

Oops forgot that one....a tad racy for kids' tv show puppets, eh?

Can someone put me wout of my misery and tell me who were any of the voices for Zig & Zag & Dustin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

What was the crowd that had a song called 'going to nepal'...Blink?

Advertisement