Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One hit wonders in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Morgans

Cant believe The Saw Doctors and The Frank and Walters were mentioned as one hit wonders.

Power of Dreams had a good album and I think one hit "Never Been To Texas"
    Lemon Tree - wasn't that a one-hit wonder for some German crowd.

Morgans wrote: »
    Lemon Tree - wasn't that a one-hit wonder for some German crowd.
    Fools Garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

broken land the adventurers dont know if theyre irish i think they are ?????

The Reynolds Girls.
    Anyone remember that awful song I'd Rather Jack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Anyone remember 'The Moon is Puse' by the (I think) the Gerryatriks circa 1979? No? I'll fetch me Zimmer-frame.

The Moon Is Puce! Was it by Gerry and the Atrix? Terrible name. I think they may have had another hit, with Treasure on the Wasteland.

Or that could have been another band. Creeping senility....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

gogglebok wrote: »
    The Moon Is Puce! Was it by Gerry and the Atrix? Terrible name. I think they may have had another hit, with Treasure on the Wasteland.

Or that could have been another band. Creeping senility....

The band were called 'The Atrix'. Released a couple of hits on Scoff Records, most notable of which was 'The Moon is Puce'. They also had a minor hit called 'Your Halo is Burning'. They were a very unusual band with a serious art school streak. I have the two singles above (and they're fantastic!). Their lead singer Jojn Borrowman died in the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Reynolds Girls.
    Anyone remember that awful song I'd Rather Jack?
    Yes, but they were British and produced by Stock-Aiken-Waterman.

The lyric went "I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac".

Well guess what Reynolds Girls? Yes, I would like fries with that.

But since we're off the topic and talking about one-hit wonder UK girl-bands, I'll see your Reynolds Girls and raise you Vanilla.

The industry rumour was that Vanilla were formed as the result of a bet between two record-company execs to see who could form the worst girl-band and get them into the top 30.

Witness the horror here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yba4WzRCHJ8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i know these guys werent irish but alishas attic they only had one song ya? them and six god love em.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WiCkLaMuLlA

irish-stew wrote: »
    didn't think sultanes of ping were either, although couldn't name any other songs of the top of my head

'Ca Bhfuil To Mo Geansai' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭aoife000

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Kerri-Ann?? Anyone remember her??

god ya. the song was so catchy... think it went something like this:

do you do you love me boy
    kiss me when they look away
    be my playground romeo
    they won't know and i won't say...

:D

• Advertisement

anyone remember the 'D11 Runners' ???? a bunch of Finglas Heads i guess ??

coolguy wrote: »
    Bellefire, they had a hit with Perfect Bliss.
    4 good looking birds too;)

love it!!! used to play it all the time... pure cheese :D

i think they call it love, it's nothing to be scared about,
    believe me,
    look and you will find,
    don't you know that love ain't blind, ain't nothing we can do
    just let it be a part of you - and feel it
    I wanna let you know
    I promise, I promise
    to never let you go you know,... you know

and so on and so forth ... :D

Exit wrote: »
    Anyone remember Dove? Can't remember if they had just the one hit. Might've been just two.

QUOTE]

i remember them doing a cover of 'don't dream it's over ' anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Manimal wrote: »
    The band were called 'The Atrix'. Released a couple of hits on Scoff Records, most notable of which was 'The Moon is Puce'. They also had a minor hit called 'Your Halo is Burning'. They were a very unusual band with a serious art school streak. I have the two singles above (and they're fantastic!). Their lead singer Jojn Borrowman died in the 1990s.

They weren't one hit wonders though. I remember Very Much In Love, The Moon Is Puce, Treasure On The Wasteland, Triad and Procession. Am I really that old? What about Rocky DeValera & The Gravediggers. Can't remember a single song but in anyways... was going to mention Those Nervous Animals till I remembered they had a heap of singles but there was always Tony Koklin with Cinderella or The Lookalikes with Can I Take You Home Tonight? (but I think I can recall they had another hit) they were on the Riva label - the same one as Rod Stewart at the time. The Dixons had a cassette LP and a 12" only single with a pink cover and a silly name (which has escaped me - see I am that old!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

aoife000 wrote: »
    Exit wrote: »
    Anyone remember Dove? Can't remember if they had just the one hit. Might've been just two.

QUOTE]

i remember them doing a cover of 'don't dream it's over ' anyhow

They really went out of their way to find ethnic minorites for that band.There was a black guy,a half black guy and a sort of half asian girl.

Davedubh wrote: »

They really went out of their way to find ethnic minorites for that band.There was a black guy,a half black guy and a sort of half asian girl.
    Hay Dave ya shudda joined with a surname loike yours !!

anyway what about

'Big Tom And The Mainliners' :rolleyes::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Starryeyd

They don't make ****e girlbands like they use to, or boybands, I happened across The Carter Twins once in a tiny music shop in a small shopping centre way back when.....can't even remember the song now....hmmm:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There was a band called Fifth Avenue that had a song called "Party All Night"...unfortunately I still remember the chorus:(
    Does anyone remember a girl band called FAB?? I think one of Shane Lynch's sisters was in it...I've just googled and couldn't find anything. Please tell me I'm not going crazy and making things up!:eek:

FAB had Louise Loughman in it.

Shane Lynch's youngest sister was in Buffalo G.. shame on me for even remembering. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

brayblue24 wrote: »
    They weren't one hit wonders though. I remember Very Much In Love, The Moon Is Puce, Treasure On The Wasteland, Triad and Procession. Am I really that old? What about Rocky DeValera & The Gravediggers. Can't remember a single song but in anyways... was going to mention Those Nervous Animals till I remembered they had a heap of singles but there was always Tony Koklin with Cinderella or The Lookalikes with Can I Take You Home Tonight? (but I think I can recall they had another hit) they were on the Riva label - the same one as Rod Stewart at the time. The Dixons had a cassette LP and a 12" only single with a pink cover and a silly name (which has escaped me - see I am that old!).

I'll see you Those Nervous Animals and raise you Ghost Of An American Airman.

Do you remember Tony Koklin's hit about whether he was one or more Impressionist painters? The chorus went:

I may be Claude Monet
    I may be Claude Monet
    I definitely know
    That I'm not Van Gogh
    But I may be Claude Monet

The Rocky DeValera song that I remember was "Is it a bird, is it a plane, Oh no - it's John Wayne." That was with his post-Gravediggers band, The Rhythm Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

hiscan wrote: »
    broken land the adventurers dont know if theyre irish i think they are ?????

I think they were from 'Norn Iron', but I'm sure we could count them as Irish.

I read somewhere that song was one of the most played on BBC Radio 1 that year, 1988.

Great little choon too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

chuci wrote: »
    i know these guys werent irish but alishas attic they only had one song ya? them and six god love em.

Alisha's Attic "I Am, I Feel"
    90's classic! I still love that song, and am not in the slightest bit embarassed to admit it! :cool:
    They were English, I think. And they actually released a few more songs afterwards, just weren't as big.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

'Alisha Rules The World' did pretty well for them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Didn't RTE's Shane O'Donoghue have a hit with 'Goodbye Girl' around ten years ago? I'm almost certain that he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 elegant_hobo

Hey, wondering if anyone can help me, really need to know what one hit wonder boyband Daniel Hughes was in have it narrowed down to either 5th avenue or d11 runners (well, ther my top 2 suspects) anyone know anythin bout it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Davedubh wrote: »

I remember them, they had another single out too 'blow your mind' which i quite liked though ('don't dream it's over') did better. I saw them singing in our local shopping centre promoting it. Hazel Kanswaran (don't know correct spelling) was the lead singer. She was the pregnant girl in one of those popstar reality shows. Could've been 'popstars the rivals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

what about the lookalikes,can i take you home tonight,very popular countrywide,i think this was their only hit,could be wrong though,long time ago.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

RayM wrote: »
    Didn't RTE's Shane O'Donoghue have a hit with 'Goodbye Girl' around ten years ago? I'm almost certain that he did.

Yep, you're right on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Tuesday Blue - Love me simple
    The Memories - Through the night
    Mamas boys - Needle in the groove
    The Fuze - Sunday Morning
    Auto de fe - All is yellow (hot hot hot)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

what about that cack with "bling bling it's a dublin thing" as de lyrics?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

oh and really obvious one
    juniper "weatherman" great tune

Advertisement