Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

abff wrote: »
    Padraig is going to be on the Late Late tonight.

Tubs will grill him no doubt. 'So tell me about winning your three grand slams.....'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Maybe, but I bet he'll start off by talking about the shows in the Gaiety next week and about his recent win after being in the doldrums.

Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tubs will grill him no doubt. 'So tell me about winning your three grand slams.....'

He just can't do sport.

You should have interviewed him Seve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Because I was a friend (lol)

Last man to say that was Bertie Aherne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Look a lot younger with the longer hair and without the beard!

Seems more confident than he has in interviews this time last year.

No mention of the Gaiety shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

why was he always staring at the ground ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Rikand wrote: »
    why was he always staring at the ground ? :D

Reading the breaks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

I went to one of the P. Harrington events in the Gaiety last nite.

The first hour was a golf clinic covering the long game to the short game. (Although he didn't hit any full shots, there was a mat and offstage, a net. There was also a putting mat and section of rough for chipping.)

The second hour was a Q+A where he spoke about the mental aspect to the game, what was going through his mind going down the stretch at his major victories, his recent problems and targets for the future. It really sounded like his head is in a good place.
    He's in full support of Clarke as the next Ryder cup captain, to muted applause by the audience...

A great nite - Padraig was very engaging as usual. Anyone going to this today is in for a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

I went to one of the P. Harrington events in the Gaiety last nite.

The first hour was a golf clinic covering the long game to the short game. (Although he didn't hit any full shots, there was a mat and offstage, a net. There was also a putting mat and section of rough for chipping.)

The second hour was a Q+A where he spoke about the mental aspect to the game, what was going through his mind going down the stretch at his major victories, his recent problems and targets for the future. It really sounded like his head is in a good place.
    He's in full support of Clarke as the next Ryder cup captain, to muted applause by the audience...

A great nite - Padraig was very engaging as usual. Anyone going to this today is in for a treat.

Fully agree, I was there too. Really enjoyable. Could have listened for a few hours longer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

He was on The Pat Kenny Show for a bit this morning , probably get in on 'listen back' or whatever it's called on NewsTalk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

newport2 wrote: »
    Could have listened for a few hours longer too!

Anyone with an interest in sports in general could listen to him for ages , he just gives a fantastic insight .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

All sounds good, going to the 2.30 session this afternoon, Christmas present from the missus. Really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Long Turn

newport2 wrote: »
    He's scheduled to play in the Gaiety Theatre next Tuesday and Wednesday. ;)

Looking forward to seeing him.

Went this afternoon. Very worthwhile.
    21/2 hours of insight from a major winner.
    Great ambassador for our sport and the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

just back from tonight's show, enjoyed his citywest show many a moon ago but thought he gave a very entertaining and faultless performance at the gaiety tonight, i had forgot how good he is at breaking down and explaining the golf swing to us amateurs and am looking forward to putting his tips into practise

I hope i don'nt regret saying this but i reckon we are going to see him back close to his best this year, he sounds very convincing about his putting and i will have a few bob e/w on his first outing at phoenix next week (a course he likes).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I could listen to Padraig all day - he is so engaging. Great to hear such positive reports of his gigs.

Yep, can only agree with the rest of the lads above. Was a fascinating afternoon. Was expecting it to be a bit more time focussing around his game, his history etc... So was very pleasantly surprised by the first hour.

He does break down the swing very well & explains it from the perspective of average Joe, not just a fit flexible 6ft tall 16 year olds frame.

Short game stuff & playing from the rough was all great too.

Super way to spend an afternoon & an absolute gent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

tigerwood1 wrote: »
    just back from tonight's show, enjoyed his citywest show many a moon ago but thought he gave a very entertaining and faultless performance at the gaiety tonight, i had forgot how good he is at breaking down and explaining the golf swing to us amateurs and am looking forward to putting his tips into practise

I hope i don'nt regret saying this but i reckon we are going to see him back close to his best this year, he sounds very convincing about his putting and i will have a few bob e/w on his first outing at phoenix next week (a course he likes).

I do wonder though when he says hes happy - is this because he sees himself as working to a lower level.

What I mean is - is a good day for him now in his own mind - a day which isn't as good as it was 6 years ago.

I would thus be slow to read anything into him saying his happy.

But I really do hope the win last time out in Indonesia will help him drive on more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Old diesel wrote: »
    I do wonder though when he says hes happy - is this because he sees himself as working to a lower level.

What I mean is - is a good day for him now in his own mind - a day which isn't as good as it was 6 years ago.

I would thus be slow to read anything into him saying his happy.

But I really do hope the win last time out in Indonesia will help him drive on more

Interest comment. Not party to any of the comments he made about the state of his game but what im interpretting from your comments is that maybe hes revising his expectations on a given week? Maybe thats not a bad thing as it will take the pressure off him to be challenging in the stronger fields which might actually have a positive affect on his performance generally.....looking forward to his new campaign though hopefully it wont be the roller coaster it has been for the last few years....a good solid and consistent start would do nicely!

• Advertisement

No way he's lowered his expectations when he's talking about Olympic qualification.

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Interest comment. Not party to any of the comments he made about the state of his game but what im interpretting from your comments is that maybe hes revising his expectations on a given week? Maybe thats not a bad thing as it will take the pressure off him to be challenging in the stronger fields which might actually have a positive affect on his performance generally.....looking forward to his new campaign though hopefully it wont be the roller coaster it has been for the last few years....a good solid and consistent start would do nicely!

I wasn't actually at the event - it was the poster I was replying to that was there (to clarify).

Was just giving my own thinking that what he sees as "good" nowadays would be different to what he would have seen as good when he was performing to a higher leve.

No way he's lowered his expectations when he's talking about Olympic qualification.

Fair point - its a massive challenge though.

Would be fantastic if he managed it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Old diesel wrote: »
    I wasn't actually at the event - it was the poster I was replying to that was there (to clarify).

Was just giving my own thinking that what he sees as "good" nowadays would be different to what he would have seen as good when he was performing to a higher leve.

I think thats only natural though.up to then,i.e 6 years ago, he was one of the best players in the world, arguably the best of the rest for a couple of years and for a good few years,one of the most consistent.i remember looking at his european tour record out of boredom from say the turn of the century to his peak in 08 and it really struck me how consistently competitive he was.if only he had converted more of those runner up spots!

I think thats only natural though.up to then,i.e 6 years ago, he was one of the best players in the world, arguably the best of the rest for a couple of years and for a good few years,one of the most consistent.i remember looking at his european tour record out of boredom from say the turn of the century to his peak in 08 and it really struck me how consistently competitive he was.if only he had converted more of those runner up spots!

Exactly. He had a huge number of second places, and I used to think back then that he would surely start winning.....but if only those near misses had been converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Saw this tweet yesterday about Jack's record, converted 3 of the 17 that he contended in during this period, shows how difficult it is to close out tournaments even for most competitive player of all time. I think this puts PH's record in context, getting in to contention so regularly is a huge achievement in itself.

@BobHarig: A fav Jack Nicklaus stat on his 75th b'day. British Open finishes '63-'80: 3, 2, T12, 1, 2, T2, T6, 1, T5, 2, 4, 3, T3, T2, ,2, 1, T2, T4

vienne86 wrote: »
    Exactly. He had a huge number of second places, and I used to think back then that he would surely start winning.....but if only those near misses had been converted.

He spoke about his 2nd finishes on the afternoon & has a very different view of them. He said there were some that yes he did throw away, but a lot of them he played a great Sunday to pull a 2nd off & then the rest he played a good Sunday & someone just pulled something special out of the bag.

But as far as he's concerned he is happy that he was consistently putting himself into that position rather than having a string of top 15s

Not really putting it right there myself, but it made sense when he was saying it :)

Ready for a return to the shot tracker roller coaster lads :)

Padraig playing 5 consecutive weeks on PGA tour starting next Thursday!

5 weeks in a row. Shows that he was spot on relaying on invitations rather than using up his one time career earnings exemption. Fingers crossed that he can capitalise on the opportunity and earn enough points to get back into the top 125.

• Advertisement

Excellent. Love following Padraig.....and hopefully his win in Asia will encourage him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement