Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future of Golf

• 19-01-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Iain Carter has an interesting article on the BBC sport website on the future of our beloved game. The comments make for interesting reading...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/30871412

I still get the feeling that golf has a bit of an image problem, but more so in England than here. Have to agree with many of the comments on stuffiness and dress code.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Morgan would like to see similar technologies to those used in cricket's Big Bash to allow for players to be interviewed mid-round. "It would be informative and instructional and would bring more people into the game," he said.

Can't see that working out too well or the point of it. Pretty sure most would say they're trying to focus on the next shot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Can't see that working out too well or the point of it. Pretty sure most would say they're trying to focus on the next shot

well given the slowness of some rounds i'm sure they could spare 20 seconds of the waiting around to hit time to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Panrich

This is exactly the kind of thing you get when you put a few "executives" around a table brainstorming. Mid round interviews would be informative? To who? Anybody who loves golf enough to spend hours watching is informed enough to know what's happening. Can you imagine last Sunday?

"Well Martin, how are you feeling standing here on the 14th tee?"

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Panrich wrote: »
    This is exactly the kind of thing you get when you put a few "executives" around a table brainstorming. Mid round interviews would be informative? To who? Anybody who loves golf enough to spend hours watching is informed enough to know what's happening. Can you imagine last Sunday?

That's a crock,If that s the case why have pundits and commentators, hearing the players answering intuitive questions from an ex player perhaps would be interesting and add to the viewers enjoyment. Better angles of players playing full shots rather than watching countless numbers of putts is also the way to go. The launch monitor with that red line curving away into the distance is brill, more innovative stuff like that would also add to viewers enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Panrich wrote: »

The whole point though is to bring in new people especially the young into the game. They are used to seeing the fancy graphics, interviews etc associated with soccer, rugby and so on. Golf has to move with the times like it or not.
    Its the sponsors who are the lifeblood of the professional game and they will start calling the shots as the viewing numbers decline and perhaps more importantly the age demographic does not fit in with their needs

And to be honest I would have loved to have heard Kaymers thoughts standing on the 14th tee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Id like more of the player and caddie talking over shots. I know they do a bit already but it would be great for every shot.

It wont slow anything down and gives people at home an idea of what Pros and Caddies think of for each shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I don't want to see some knobhead talking nonsense. I want to see some ****in golf!

There needs to be more people hitting shots on the tv, not less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I already watch all of my golf on sky sports on delay especially so that I don't have to hear ANY interviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If they want to make it the future, run two streams and give people the option of watching ::

a.) A continuous golf stream

or

b.) Some Golf and Interviews. And the B stream just rejoins the A stream when they are finished the talking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rikand wrote: »
    If they want to make it the future, run two streams and give people the option of watching ::

or

b.) Some Golf and Interviews. And the B stream just rejoins the A stream when they are finished the talking.

Yeah, Open on BBC have loads of options via the red button which is tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I don't agree with mid round interviews, it would put players off most likely. I don't know if any of you remember Dougie Donnelly. He had a great knack of interviewing players and planting negativity in their minds before an important round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Letree wrote: »
    I don't agree with mid round interviews, it would put players off most likely. I don't know if any of you remember Dougie Donnelly. He had a great knack of interviewing players and planting negativity in their minds before an important round.

Good ole Dougie, provides Euro tour commentary for The Golf Channel now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Panrich

Rikand wrote: »

or

Continuous coverage of Amen corner is another good innovation at the masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Panrich wrote:
    Continuous coverage of Amen corner is another good innovation at the masters.

all depends on how long the spectator is going to give watching the same few holes of golf. to yourself and me, yeah bring it on, to a neutral viewer, boring as hell.

maybe a few cheerleaders on every box. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Protracer and protracer like technology.
    Each and every tee box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Commentators just shutting up and letting us hear what the players and caddies are saying between themselves. Apart from being told perhaps what club they've picked or how far they have to go, I don't want to hear anything from the commentators. That would be great.

Less ad breaks, but that'll never happen.

More Protracer too. I love that thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

He doesn't really want to change the game of golf. He wants to improve the way he can sell top-level golf.

Advertisement