Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

improving my sense of humour

Options
  • 04-01-2015 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

was watching Callans kicks just there and he does come up with some funny phrases

anyway humour isn't my strong point nor is cracking jokes so Im looking to improve, if anyone has any pointers feel free

idea I had was to get a book full of witty lines and jokes, only after socially acceptable ones, nothing too filthy and to memorise some of it might help me as Im too serious for my own good TBH

anyone got any recommendations for such a book, or any other tips btw ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Be yourself!

Read joke books sparingly, watch comedians, Tim Vine, Jimmy Carr are one-liner merchants. But most of all just practice by writing one-liners that pop into head in a small notebook.

Think outside the box... or book for that matter.

If you're going for witty one-liners, practice puns, they're a play on words (as opposed to a play on a stage)

Think of words as free to be kicked around, twisted and bent out of shape.

Humour isn't something to be memorised!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mathrew

Books are really big help, and also videos, watch some comedy videos, you can learn from them the way they deliver their jokes. And sometimes being a comedian is a natural talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Humour for me is about looking at things in a flexible way.
    So tragedy plus this flexibility equals humour.

Slightly different take on the old maxim of humour being tragedy plus time.

Humour for me is about looking at things in a flexible way.
    So tragedy plus this flexibility equals humour.

Slightly different take on the old maxim of humour being tragedy plus time.

Quite right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

im too serious thats my problem

• Advertisement

Don't be. Try to say some jokes during your conversation with others (at the right moment), if they laugh, that's the time you would improve your humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Humour starts from within...

You have to be willing to take the piss out of yourself before you can do so to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

thanks to all that have replied

examples would be most welcome from those who have posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Why has no one on this thread pointed out that the OP thinks Callans Kicks is funny? Thats one area where he is going wrong to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its like a Tesco Value Gift Grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

Humour is all about the moment, it could be a facial expression or the tone of your voice.
    Timing is the major factor in humour.

Advertisement