Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you store your Lego?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

When I was a child I had loads of Lego but was never allowed to keep the original boxes as they took up too much room. All my Lego ended up in one big basket making it incredibly difficult to make anything from the instruction booklets that required special pieces. Actually I think the instructions ended up getting thrown out too. It got to the point where getting a new box of Lego wasn't any fun because it was just a pile of blocks to dump on top of the other blocks.

Were you allowed to keep your Lego in its original boxes or did yours end up getting thrown together as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I found the original boxes a pain actually and was glad to get rid of them. Actually i had a technic lego set 8848 that had a usable box with a lid. That was then the holder of all my lego.
    I pretty much never remade a set again either and liked making new stuff. This was in the 80's before fancy movie themed sets so there was less of a desire to keep a set if you get me.

You make a good point about not being able to find a part in the jumble of random bits. I recently attempted to remedy this for my kids and build a workbench and storage boxes. Worked well until i stopped devoting two hours a day re-sorting the bits the kids couldnt be arsed putting back in the right place. It now looks like a lad tipped all the lego out of a trailer onto the bench!
    Ah well, i did try!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

In old biscuit tins, the big square ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Biscuit tin! Didn't have much so :)

da_hambo wrote: »
    Biscuit tin! Didn't have much so :)
    The big USA tin did the job for us. Albeit a bit noisy and me mum used to go bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

shedweller wrote: »
    The big USA tin did the job for us. Albeit a bit noisy and me mum used to go bonkers!

That's what I mean. The big ones. We had about three or four of them. As well as another old plastic box of older lego. Never ever kept them in sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1613-1.jpg
    Couldnt build the feckin house though >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I had a number of sets kept in their original boxes but these were mostly the technics ones. After that, just a big plastic box to hold all the other bricks etc.

I had one of these- brilliant when the whole thing was assembled, with full steering and a primitive wired battery and motor :P

It was fairly delicate though; wouldn't last a long play before it needed to go in for a service:D

851+Tractor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

In the Hoover :-)

In the Hoover :-)
    Yeah, i've heard more than a few rattle up the tube. There's only so many i can pick up in a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In a big plastic bag.

B*stards of things to stand on in bare/stocking feet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

shedweller wrote: »

We had a USA tin and an Afternoon Tea tin :) We also had a special Christmas themed box that originally contained 20 packets of Monster Munch...bought in Dunned Stores if I recall correctly :) Mostly made up of the 2x4 type of bricks and a few police and fire engine sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The cool thing about keeping your lego is getting to play with it all over again with your kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

we kept all of ours in a christmas tayto box...pretty sure the box got replaced a fair few times but i don't remember it happening. I don't think we ever got a proper set either. If I remember correctly, Nana used to just buy loads of it in second hand shops and give it to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

victoria.jpg

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It got to the point where getting a new box of Lego wasn't any fun because it was just a pile of blocks to dump on top of the other blocks.

That's all I had to work with, and it was the best ever!!
    It's far better to use your creativity and make something yourself.

I only ever got one or two 'brand new' pieces, like a police van or boat, but I was lucky enough to 'inherit' my brothers lego, which was all jumbled in a big plastic box. We also got lots and lots of randoms pieces in 'Sales of Work' in the local schools over the years.
    I built everything from trains, soccer stadiums, castles, airports, houses all without any instruction manual. That was the magic of lego!
    I hope to pass it all on to my kids in later years. So many hours just sat there kept me so quiet. No wonder my parents loved it too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lego was definitely better before so much licensing came into it. The original lego pirate, space city stuff was amazing.
    SPCE SHUTTLE!!
    1682-1.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That actually is a licenced set, though (NASA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I built a box out of the Lego and put the one piece left over into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

How many pieces of lego could you shove up your bum when you were a kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

walshyp wrote: »
    How many pieces of lego could you shove up your bum when you were a kid?

I bet you were always sh*tting bricks as a kid so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lego also always tasted salty for some strange reason

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In this

9ca126ece98801da759e0daac83642f8.jpg

Except ours was 2 base and not 3 base. Still have it too! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

We stored ours in a battered up Jacobs biscuit tin.

Advertisement