Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker's Query

Options
  • 03-01-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a question that I'm hoping somebody here can help me out with.

I've recently completed a training contract for a professional qualification. I was offered a permanent job in the same company but declined and handed in my notice as I wish to move from the type of work. I'm hopeful of securing a new job but it may take 2 or 3 weeks.

Basically, I'm wondering am I allowed claim jobseeker's as my initial contract was up but I was being offered a new job (albeit one where I would have had to sign a new contract) in the same firm?

Thanks for any forthcoming advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Hi,

I've a question that I'm hoping somebody here can help me out with.

I've recently completed a training contract for a professional qualification. I was offered a permanent job in the same company but declined and handed in my notice as I wish to move from the type of work. I'm hopeful of securing a new job but it may take 2 or 3 weeks.

Basically, I'm wondering am I allowed claim jobseeker's as my initial contract was up but I was being offered a new job (albeit one where I would have had to sign a new contract) in the same firm?

Thanks for any forthcoming advice :)

I think you're crazy to turn down a position in the current climate and you're even moreso (by a factor of 10) if the professional qualification you just received is as a solicitor...You won't get a job in two or three weeks if that's the case but that's off topic.

AFAIK, if you get your P45 from your old employer, you're good to claim from that date.

However, presuming you don't have a new job lined up, why wouldn't you stay in the existing one until you get something else? It's easier ot get a job when you have a job, plus you'll be on more money than the dole!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Well thanks for the reply. Although I didn't ask for opinions on my mental health.
    For your own peace of mind -

1. Not a solicitor - I'm a recently qualified accountant.
    2. Did an interview on the day I finished the old job (23rd Dec), got a call this morning to have a follow up interview by phone tomorrow. Will find out tomorrow if I'm successful or not. This was the first and only job I've applied for so far.
    3. Wasn't going to fcuk over my employers and leave with a sour taste by taking the new job (2 year contract), going on holidays for the xmas and then handing my notice in the first or second week back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Well thanks for the reply. Although I didn't ask for opinions on my mental health.
    For your own peace of mind -

1. Not a solicitor - I'm a recently qualified accountant.
    2. Did an interview on the day I finished the old job (23rd Dec), got a call this morning to have a follow up interview by phone tomorrow. Will find out tomorrow if I'm successful or not. This was the first and only job I've applied for so far.
    3. Wasn't going to fcuk over my employers and leave with a sour taste by taking the new job (2 year contract), going on holidays for the xmas and then handing my notice in the first or second week back in January.

To answer your original question, you can apply for JSA during that time technically although you won't actively be seeking work and are not available for work either as you're awaiting a decision on your interview. Technically you shouldn't be seeking JSA in such a scenario but what you do there is up to you.

The other issue to bear in mind is if you are relying on JSA during that time, you won't be approved for a good few weeks depending on where in the country you are so you won't get any money during that time.

You will then get backdated JSA for the time between jobs but you'll likely have started your new position by then and so will be overpaid by Social Welfare. So best to make sure to tell Dept as soon as you do get the new job.

Hope it goes well for you and remember, if you ask a question and get extra information or an opinion you hadn't asked for in your job interview, don't respond as above if you want the job.

Apologies if I came across as snappy but I posted in the State Benefits forum as I had a query specifically regarding the JSA. If I was looking for personal advice I would have gone to PI, Accountancy forum for career advice and AH for some comic relief from this toothache I have. :)

Also, I am seeking jobs. I did an interview for one the day I finished work which was the 23rd December. Today is the day most offices come back to work after the holidays so I couldn't apply for any then (I am applying through a recruitment agent).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

If you do intend to sign on between jobs be careful what you tell the people at the local social welfare office. If you tell them you turned down the offer of a job you may disqualify yourself from getting a payment for up to 9 weeks as they may consider that you contributed to your own unemployment.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies - won't be an issue now, got offered a job today. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Congrats on the new job.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement