Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lived in UK - can I claim dole immediately when I return home?

• 03-01-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am an Irish Citizen, I have been living in London the past 11 months and will be moving home mid Feb. Lived in Ireland all my life prior to this. Can you tell me if I can claim dole immediately or is there a wait period?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You may apply straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

Sorry, I should have clarified, I mean can I submit a claim as soon as I return home and expect to be paid from that date (even if it isn't paid out immediately?) I had heard something about their being a 3 week wait on people returning from abroad, but still recieving backpay to the date they first claimed (in my case as soon as I return to Ireland)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

In general if your claim is approved you will be payed from the date you first submitted your claim.As rearguards a waiting period, yes there is a backlog in most offices and there can be a wait of several weeks or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

When you return and submit your application for benefits you can go to your Community Welfare Officer and apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance which is usually paid immediately up until such time as your benefits claim is approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You will also have to satisfy habitual residence but that should not be a problem in your case but this adds another waiting period but as other posters have said once you make you claim for jobseekers you can go to the community welfare officer and apply for supplementary allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Were you working in Ireland in 2010? As claims made in 2012 are based on stamps paid in 2010 you may be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit as opposed to Jobseeker's Allowance. This would make your claim a lot quicker and faster to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

TheBeach - yes, I worked in Ireland part time at the weekends while I was in uni from 2007 - 2010, hopefully this will count, thanks

Advertisement