Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU President Elections

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Do you or don't you have anything to back your assertions up? It's quite simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

cambridge wrote: »
    listen, when a lad puts worked part time in lidl has some kind of quality aspect of his election manifesto you know something is wrong.

post-grad dip in computing? i'd imagine he barely knows any html. it very fairly ambitious getting the website redone (unless he wants to go and spend 20k on it like the su did).

he's not a real post grad. he's doing a micky mouse diploma designed for people who are can't get jobs. it's basically just stuff people in first year cs do.he wants a job, any job will do and instead of going to get a job in lidl as a manager again and have 25 people compete with you, he's in this two horse race.

he doesn't know anything about science, he knows nothing about research. He's basically said so as well. i'd be very weary, as a phd candidate having this fella in charge of the psu, as impotent a role it is.

he's a business grad from some ****ty it doing a graddip in it...don't touch him with a barge pole.

First off the course he completed wasin Dublin business school which consisted of 6 months college, 6 months working. Wwhich was paid by Lidi. He was under contract with lidil the whole time and was working as a manager so has developed management skills between dealing with customers, staff suppliers and managers above him.

In regard to the grad dip, we don't have any classes with 1st year computer science. We have already built a website last semester and building another one this semester which is even more technical. I know this cause im also on the course.

If you want a representative that knows exactly how research post grads work maybe one of ye should have run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

First off the course he completed wasin Dublin business school which consisted of 6 months college, 6 months working. Wwhich was paid by Lidi.

DBS is a fee paying private college in Dublin. It's designed for people that didn't get enough points in the leaving cert to go to ucd so their parents paid for them to go to dbs. am i right or am i right?

He was under contract with lidil the whole time and was working as a manager so has developed management skills between dealing with customers, staff suppliers and managers above him.

fair play, i'm sure he'd be good at that.
    In regard to the grad dip, we don't have any classes with 1st year computer science. We have already built a website last semester and building another one this semester which is even more technical. I know this cause im also on the course.

throw us the url there if you want. I'll go easy on you.
    If you want a representative that knows exactly how research post grads work maybe one of ye should have run.

i'm running for su president, don't worry, if by some fluke simon is voted in i will make it my business to make sure he does his job.

Anything to back up what you said earlier?

i already backed it up, please learn to read.

Where? The ad hominem attack? Doesn't constitute a valid response I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davozc

listen, when a lad puts worked part time in lidl has some kind of quality aspect of his election manifesto you know something is wrong.

post-grad dip in computing? i'd imagine he barely knows any html. it very fairly ambitious getting the website redone (unless he wants to go and spend 20k on it like the su did).

he's not a real post grad. he's doing a micky mouse diploma designed for people who are can't get jobs. it's basically just stuff people in first year cs do.he wants a job, any job will do and instead of going to get a job in lidl as a manager again and have 25 people compete with you, he's in this two horse race.

he doesn't know anything about science, he knows nothing about research. He's basically said so as well. i'd be very weary, as a phd candidate having this fella in charge of the psu, as impotent a role it is.

he's a business grad from some ****ty it doing a graddip in it...don't touch him with a barge pole.
    what disrespectful post to every one in the CSIS department and to everyone doing that course now and previous students. To say that the course is designed for people who cant get a job in their area is true, but what are most courses designed for ? they are designed so you can get a job, so how is the Grad dip any different. O wow your a candidate for a PHD how does that make you special, or any more informed on what others courses entail. The way things have gone , anything that can help any student find employment is to be welcomed. Your out of touch !

throw us the url there if you want. I'll go easy on you.

Websites we designed were for mock businesA's so didn't go live. He has his own website for a business venture he's doing. But I don't have the address off hand so will have to get back to u with that.

i'm running for su president, don't worry, if by some fluke simon is voted in i will make it my business to make sure he does his job.

More like some fluke your voted in!!

listen mate, don't be so sensitive. You've already admitted what I've said is true. Graddips in IT are designed for people from business and science backgrounds to get a bit of training in IT and a nice qualification. It's a handy little course. it's not particularly academic.

I'm just saying there will be no one from your class going into tech jobs with that qualifcation. If any of them make it to google, facebook, amazon, Microsoft it will be in sales, marketing, soft skills stuff.

You do agree don't you?

it is what is it, it's a crossover course. The man has no insight into what real postgrads do so shouldn't be seeking to represent them.

agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Voting's still open right?

Any idea on the number of voters to date?

Usually there's a vibe to how the candidates feel its going too....

listen mate, don't be so sensitive. You've already admitted what I've said is true. Graddips in IT are designed for people from business and science backgrounds to get a bit of training in IT and a nice qualification. It's a handy little course. it's not particularly academic.

I'm just saying there will be no one from your class going into tech jobs with that qualifcation. If any of them make it to google, facebook, amazon, Microsoft it will be in sales, marketing, soft skills stuff.

You do agree don't you?

it is what is it, it's a crossover course. The man has no insight into what real postgrads do so shouldn't be seeking to represent them.

agreed?
    name a course where someone would graduate and justwaltz into Google or facebook and start at the top. Your right its to train people in IT but no one starts at the top they educate themselves to an acceptable level do their level best to get into a good company and work hard to rise up. No one graduates and becomes a CEO. a relative of mine is a mechanical engineer with a pharmaceutical company she is now back in college doing a masters as her bosses cannot promote unless she has the qualifications. She graduate with a good degree yet she must upskill. The only way for any candidate to know how post grads work would be to have done a PHD as I have masters and I still dont know every facet about how post grads work . Neither candidate has a PHD but i believe that Thomas has the skills necessary to fully represent and serve the needs of the post grads here.

Any engineering degree in the ivy leagues, ox-bridge, tcd.
    Any CS degree in ^

obviously they'd still have to be high calibre individuals.

listen you're obvious a pal of ryan so no point arguing with you

Mossin wrote: »

it didn't stop at 6 did it?

Mossin wrote: »

Voting open till 7. Heard at 4pm, that voting numbers were quite low. Haven't heard anything since. Tom was happy south how things were going anyway. He got to meet loads of people and was very happy with the reaction he got back.

im not arguing about the elections as per se they are over in a half hour I am taking exception to your disregard for other courses and the people who are enrolled in them! And since you dont seem to respect people with a GRAD DIP I have a degree and a masters so I hope you will permit me to talk to you as I am on your level with my academic qualifications !

Any engineering degree in the ivy leagues, ox-bridge, tcd.
    Any CS degree in ^

obviously they'd still have to be high calibre individuals.

listen you're obvious a pal of ryan so no point arguing with you
    I also was "a candidate" for a PHD aswell if that helps !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Keep it cool lads.

Cambridge, that post was deleted. I'll give the poster the benefit of the doubt with regards to it, and the reason it was posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 99Astra

I put up the post last night to do with Cian Spillanne which was wrong and subsequently removed it. It was done after a night out drinking. It had nothing whatsoever to do with Thomas Ryan and I take full responsibility. I would like to publically apologise for this post.

I was out and missed your last post , seeing as it was deleted by the moderator I can only assume it was not exactly PHD material. In your future carrer whether it be in academia or the business world I would advise you to respect others and the courses they do , every1 takes their own path and in some cases it might take people longer than others to get to where they want to be but show them a bit of respect !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 99Astra

I removed it shortly afterwards and not the mods. Believe me it will never happen again.

i wasnt talking to you 99astra , what you did was complete stupidity and could have ruined someones reputation for the future! only to right you set the record straight !

davozc wrote: »
    I also was "a candidate" for a PHD aswell if that helps !

hi, do you know what phd candidate means? I don't mean i went for a interview and didn't get it. Everyone doing a PHd is a candidate because there is no guarantee you'll finish it, it will be approved etc.

99astra - are you thomas ryan? how do you know him if not.

He's apologised, let's move on.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    He's apologised, let's move on.

what?

hi, do you know what phd candidate means? I don't mean i went for a interview and didn't get it. Everyone doing a PHd is a candidate because there is no guarantee you'll finish it, it will be approved etc.

99astra - are you thomas ryan? how do you know him if not.
    look your at it again trying to be better than another so you can have some sort of higher say on proceedings.What if i say i do know what it means , what are you goin say then. Are you going to ask me did i get 600 points in my leaving cert ? I dont doubt your credentials and from what i have seen of you I dont doubt your ability nor your intellect. I took offense to what you said about Grad dips in computing, im sure every single one of those students are working their arse off trying to get out in the world and not every1 is going to be as intelligent/successful etc as you may/might be, but it doesn't give you any right to disregard them as not important and just doing and i quote a "micky mouse diploma"

what?

That was in reference to davocz above.

i don't like to kick a man when he's down so i won't really be commenting much.

but with such a poor turn out, 150 people voting? do we really need a psu officer. compared to the cso and co?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Congrats to Cian Spillane on getting elected.
    Best of luck with the coming year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CianSpillane

Thank you Mossin

well done cian, i will have my eye on your next year. don't slip up or i'll be first to stick the knife in.