Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Brang" a real word?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Ender-

sorry
    HELLO GENTLEMEN AND LADIES!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Ender-

Banned for 1 week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Bit harsh, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes

• Advertisement

What rule did he break that warrants a ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by AndrewWK
    What rule did he break that warrants a ban?
    Rule #278
    Section 3
    Paragraph 4

Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Rule #278
    Section 3
    Paragraph 4

Everyone knows that.

It was rule 1 and a little part of rule 2 that he broke. No need for the sarcasm.

But he was courteous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

its not often someone has to be banned from this forum
    so the ban feature has to be tested on someone every once in a while to make sure its working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

-

LOL! definitly is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 CrossReach

I was typing brang into a post on fb and it underlined it in red. I cannot believe brang is not a word! I brang it up on Google but they bringed up nothing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So you drug this thread up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

And SEVEN years later "Brang" is still not in the OED :)

It's not a word, never has been a word and never will be a word in the English language!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

deman wrote: »
    And SEVEN years later "Brang" is still not in the OED :)

It's not a word, never has been a word and never will be a word in the English language!

I wish I could say the same of "alot", I think it's in some dictionaries. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wish I could say the same of "alot", I think it's in some dictionaries. :(

aswell as well :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 CrossReach

very clever =0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Slouch

ALOT.png
    If someone mentions 'alot', just bring up a picture of your 'alot'. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bunnybelle1089

Calibos wrote: »
    Is 'noone' (which I cant help but read as noon) a word? Or am I missing something? A tap of the spacebar perhaps?? :D:D

Yes, a tap of the spacebar will do so it'll be "no one"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

What is the story here? I say brang ALL THE TIME instead of brought. I always thought it was just a variation but by girlfriend pulls me up on it all the time and says it's not a real word. It's not in dictionary.com but if you google it you see that in some dialects it is used. I'm australian born, I wonder is it a remnent of my old accent (I moved to Ireland 12 years ago but I stll have some things like pronouncing the letter "r" I say "aaarr" whereas Irish people pronounce it more like "oar"). Maybe it will be one of those words that gets accepted as a word as so many people use it?

No mate ,not a proper word 'brought' is the one you want.

never heard a single person using that word.

pronunciation and grammar are two different fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

What is the story here? I say brang ALL THE TIME instead of brought. I always thought it was just a variation but by girlfriend pulls me up on it all the time and says it's not a real word. It's not in dictionary.com but if you google it you see that in some dialects it is used. I'm australian born, I wonder is it a remnent of my old accent (I moved to Ireland 12 years ago but I stll have some things like pronouncing the letter "r" I say "aaarr" whereas Irish people pronounce it more like "oar"). Maybe it will be one of those words that gets accepted as a word as so many people use it?

It's one of those words, I guess, that appears wherever an, ahem, lower grade of English is spoken.

F'rinstance, I use an made-up past tense of a modern term - 'emailing' - instead, I write, or even say, 'emole'.

Seems sensible to me.

But 'brang' is NOT a word in the English language. Trust me, I'm a fluent speakeriser. ;)

tac

Advertisement